Open Libram LXXII: Rainbow in the Dark

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't see the appeal of heroic raiding to be honest, though I have never been the type of gamer that goes for the hardest difficulty, sure the gear is fun, but it doesn't come close to being worth the frustration, normals were starting to approach that level for me as well, I can only go through so many 4 hour wipefests, where the same person can't dodge tornadoes, or fails at attenuation over and over and over again, and you have a raid leader who won't replace them

In the midst of this he was talking about heroic modes, I literally laughed in vent in front of the entire raid saying that this group should be grateful to clear the tier, which the healer pretty much agreed to

Maybe I need a better raid group but.....trollduar looks so painful, and unfun, I don't even want to deal with the mechanics on normal, much less heroic

As for the old game music thing, about as far back as I got is FF9. I can still remember the title screen music, I even learned to play it on the clarinet!
90 Human Paladin
I have some fond memories of game music on the Commodore 64 (it had pretty advanced sound for it's day) and the Commodore Amiga blew away the mac in every conceivable way. Better graphics, better sound, better performance, true preemptive multitasking...it was so far ahead of it's time nobody knew what it was for.

God the Amiga was a great machine. How many computers from 1985 can actually even run a web browser? The Amiga can (there weren't web browsers back then, but a couple have been made that will run on the Amiga OS). It can still do things with live video editing that you can't do today without spending several thousand dollars on the hardware and software.

Keep in mind the level of technology of 1985. The SNES came out in what, 1990, and still didn't have the gaming capacity (graphics, sound, processing power) of a general purpose computer like the Amiga that came out before people even knew what a "multimedia pc" was.

That was back when EA was still an actual game company that made creative/innovative games rather than just buying up other companies and ruining various franchises.

There seemed to be a lot more game studios back then, and they weren't all owned by a couple conglomerates like today. The quality and variety of games was way better than what we have today. Good times.

Music from various games on the Amiga:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTz5iwmtkrs

100 Amiga games in 10 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA
Edited by Bravehearth on 3/28/2013 5:50 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
We're working on h horrible as well. Best attempt we've had was one where we killed jalak then got horridon to about 60% before wiping due to all the dead people. I now truly understand what it means to get shafted as a melee. I've died to just about every puddle of bad on that fight so far, it really sucks to have a fight centered around having the dps to kill adds quickly, then half the time having to run away from the adds because of the random ground effects you don't see until they kill you.

On a side note: Did anyone see that post about the work that goes into wow sound design? Seems like a lot given how many people play without sound lol. Also, you'd think they would figure out how to separate dialogue from other random game sounds after all these years...
Edited by Darthelmet on 3/28/2013 6:17 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Also, you'd think they would figure out how to separate dialogue from other random game sounds after all these years...

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, actually. I can't hardly understand what NPCs are saying because of random sound effects around me.
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't see the appeal of heroic raiding to be honest, though I have never been the type of gamer that goes for the hardest difficulty, sure the gear is fun, but it doesn't come close to being worth the frustration, normals were starting to approach that level for me as well, I can only go through so many 4 hour wipefests, where the same person can't dodge tornadoes, or fails at attenuation over and over and over again, and you have a raid leader who won't replace them

In the midst of this he was talking about heroic modes, I literally laughed in vent in front of the entire raid saying that this group should be grateful to clear the tier, which the healer pretty much agreed to

Maybe I need a better raid group but.....trollduar looks so painful, and unfun, I don't even want to deal with the mechanics on normal, much less heroic

As for the old game music thing, about as far back as I got is FF9. I can still remember the title screen music, I even learned to play it on the clarinet!

As odd as it sounds, I don't think the frustration even comes from the difficulty as much as the types of mechanics there are. Basically every fight in tot, and a few of the more frustrating t14 fights had a heavy emphasis on personal responsibility rather than any kind of strategy element. On those kinds of fights, Even 1 or 2 people screwing up on an attempt means a wipe, and since a lot of them involve a mechanic that is either random or something everyone has to deal with at once, every attempt its always someone else, making it difficult to replace any one person.

Perfect example is durumu, you could do the maze perfectly every time, but when it ends and you look up, anywhere from a few to half your raid died to it, and there's nothing you can do about it but hope all of them don't screw up next time.

Thinking back, a lot of the cooler fights had some organizational strategy element to them. Even this tier had one: once we figured out a good rotation for jikun it became easy, no bs deaths, just needed the right strat.
Edited by Darthelmet on 3/28/2013 6:20 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
I'm not a fan of mechanics that punish individual mistakes with an all out wipe. It's fine for individual mistakes to make things harder on the raid, but I just never liked the ones where "you do this right, or it's a wipe."

Now, I don't mind it when there's fights where a couple people have to do a certain thing exactly right. For instance, wiping due to a mechanic where tanks have to swap due to some sort of mechanic (doesn't have to be a standard thing, there's lots of ways to require a swap)...I think that's fine. Or maybe you have to assign a couple people to take care of some certain thing, and if those few mess it up, then it's a wipe. Those are fine, because you can have those people practice that aspect of the fight until they get it down.

Things that have to be handled perfectly but are random are hard to get down, because you might do 20 attempts and one person never ends up having to deal with it. Then on the 21st try, they finally get introduced to the annoying mechanic and are caught off guard and wipe the raid.

I just really don't care for large raidwide things where everyone has to be on point or it's a wipe. I don't do real raiding anymore, but LK Defile comes to mind. I always thought that was just a brutal mechanic. It made some people in my guild just feel like complete crap when they'd mess it up.
Edited by Bravehearth on 3/28/2013 6:23 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
Yeah I think that's probably the worst thing about those types of mechanics, after a while the fight gets harder just from everyone being tired and angry.
90 Human Paladin
Morning Pally Crew

Sorry to hear that Lobster =/, but honestly fights that hate melee, par for the course this game.
And if a fight come along that happens to favor melee, the ranged complain to no end.
90 Human Paladin
And if a fight come along that happens to favor melee, the ranged complain to no end.

The problem is that most fights that actually could favor melee, you can still just replace those melee with casters that stand in melee. Most ranged classes really don't have much trouble dpsing on the move (though admittedly some still do), which is what used to be used to make a fight melee friendly.

Oh man, this reminds me when I did the second LFR part of ToT on my fury warrior, and this healer that had decided they were the all mighty know-it-all for the raid was explaining how to do Magaera (was extremely cocky, yet quite forgetful of how the fights went at the same time lol). He made it a point to really emphasize stacking for Rampage.

So then we start the fight, and when the first Rampage comes up, instead of the casters and healers stacking with the melee...that same healer starts yelling at all the melee to come stack at range.

I'm like, "are you kidding me?" They did it again the next Rampage, so a few of us just said to heck with it, and didn't stack. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to cut the raids damage in half for 20 seconds for no reason other than to save themselves from running a little ways. I mean heck, even the healers and range would move back farther from the head than they were in order to stack up. It was just silly. Fight took way longer than it had every other time I'd done it.
Edited by Bravehearth on 3/28/2013 8:45 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Stacking at Ranged for Rampage on Magaera seems to be a popular LFR tactic. Why? lol
90 Human Paladin
Stacking at Ranged for Rampage on Magaera seems to be a popular LFR tactic. Why? lol

You've seen this happen also? A few melee didn't know any better so they happily followed the directions, but there were like 3 of us that were rebels and refused to stack at range lol.
90 Human Paladin
03/28/2013 08:50 AMPosted by Bravehearth

You've seen this happen also? A few melee didn't know any better so they happily followed the directions, but there were like 3 of us that were rebels and refused to stack at range lol.

I have not, I usually do LFR in a guild group, but I've heard from others that this is the prevailing strategy for this fight in LFR
90 Human Paladin
I have not, I usually do LFR in a guild group, but I've heard from others that this is the prevailing strategy for this fight in LFR

It really boggles my mind. Usually when there's some non-standard strat used in LFR, it's because you can cheese something to make the fight easier/faster, especially when people outgear something. Like I've found you can completely ignore the stacks from frost king and just heal through the long stun if you want. Doesn't really make the fight faster, but can simplify it if the other tank is having trouble watching your stacks...just tell him not to worry about it lol.

In this case, I really don't understand what is to be gained by it other than drawing the fight out.
Edited by Bravehearth on 3/28/2013 8:58 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Maybe they're not aware you can damage the heads during rampage?
90 Human Paladin
[quote="85067951579"]Maybe they're not aware you can damage the heads during rampage?

That would be my guess. The place is still pretty new.
90 Dwarf Paladin

It was done that way the first time I did it - and still seems to be the prevailing strategy. Every time I've done Megaera since that first run, I've ignored it; healers !@#$% about "stack for aoe healz nub," but I just pop some defensives and give 'em the finger. I've got a job to do, and I'm damn well gonna do it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/28/2013 08:54 AMPosted by Paladinchaz

I had to tell our RL during LFR that we could stack in melee for rampage and move the ground markers... and we still had nearly everyone standing at range for it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]