Open Libram LXXII: Rainbow in the Dark

90 Human Paladin
I am torn on the issue of gear as a carrot. On the one side, it's extremely satisfying to get new more powerful gear that makes you feel stronger, especially when you overcame some personal challenge or reached some goal you set for yourself.

On the other side, I see that the vastly more popular forms of player vs. player activities are generally most competitive when everyone is on a fairly level playing field, and the fun is beating your opponents. It's the way sports work for the most part (not counting cheating/poor officiating/etc), and it's the way the vastly more popular forms of pvp gaming works (first person shooters for the most part).

In WoW, essentially you are gated before you can even reach the level playing field of competition. It would be like making it so teams in the NFL start with pads that have a bunch of weight added to them to slow them down drastically. As the play and win they get to remove weight from their pads until eventually they finally reach the max weight reduction. Only then is there really true competition.

But, as has been mentioned, wow has always been about dangling some form of carrot...the vast majority of the time, and the one that has proven successful for so long, is better gear.

I really see both sides of this, and the correct thing to do really depends on what Blizzard's intent is for pvp (which has always been a pretty vague area). If they want a real competitive system, then gear needs not be a factor, and certain class abilities need special tuning for pvp. There's no way to ever 100% balance pvp and have unique classes, but there's certainly room for improvement.

If, on the other hand, pvp is just something extra they throw in to give people something alternate to do, but isn't really too serious about being competitive, then leave it the way it is.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Took four freaking hours to que for a fresh ToT and all i get is gold. I swear this is probably going to be the same as last patch, do lfr every week for lei shen's trinket and get nothing.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i got the fabled feather of ji-kun, now to decide whether to replace lfr lei shens, or fully upgraded xuen, i figure its probably best to lose the lei shens trinket
90 Draenei Paladin
Weird fact, if I have this shield unsheathed it's invisible in the dressing room, but on the back it shows.

Weird.

The new mog rules now allow me to don my Dark Paladin get up, I still remember farming up this shield and sword only to realize the sword wouldn't work. :(

I really, really wish old gear went to Justice Points still. Oh how my off spec suffers.
90 Dwarf Paladin
Yeah, the new points system has pretty much killed my offspecs. Seriously about to go Ret/Ret for no reason other than "why not?"
90 Human Paladin
I'm server transferring to Frostmourne-Oceanic! Hello to all pallys on there!

I'll still be prettier than you :D.
90 Dwarf Paladin
Oh wow... I saw the changes. They're really removing resil from pvp gear? Sure, I can get behind the idea of all characters having a base 65% resil, however, if that's the case, what makes PvP gear any different from PvE gear being used in PvP?

Or am I missing something?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh wow... I saw the changes. They're really removing resil from pvp gear? Sure, I can get behind the idea of all characters having a base 65% resil, however, if that's the case, what makes PvP gear any different from PvE gear being used in PvP?

pvp power
90 Dwarf Paladin

pvp power

Aha. Well, here's hoping it works out. I intend to start PvPing once I hit 90. Is the Gear grind any worse than usual? I'm a BS, so, I can make the crafted gear so I won't be completely gimped. Though, any word on weapons?
90 Dwarf Paladin
Won't know for another couple of days, I think; don't know that any realm has yet unlocked Stage 4 Isle of Thunder to get to the Thunder Forge and Lightning Steel training. Save JP and convert it to honor, though, as that should net you at least one piece of gear.
90 Draenei Paladin
A thought occurred to me. Why was BC the last time we saw a proliferation of old armor sets as new dungeon gear?

At least I can't think of any other major instances of old armor making it's way into the next expansions instances through recolors.

Not that I'm against unique, new armor or anything. But some interesting new looks to old favorites could have been had with some dungeon blue recolor sets.

Editz: At long last I am once again hatless.

Justicar really makes me wish Blizzard would go back and touch up the old armors just a tad.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 3/23/2013 1:00 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin

\o/
90 Draenei Paladin
03/23/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Muletia

\o/

I knew that would bring you out of lurking.
90 Draenei Paladin
I knew that would bring you out of lurking.

Sometimes I just like to watc .. wait a minute, that sounds dodgy.
<.<
>.>
90 Draenei Paladin
Sometimes I just like to watc .. wait a minute, that sounds dodgy.
<.<
>.>

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2776882432/h51F8459A/
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Man. I wonder how this resil change is going to affect everyone, especially if they're using PvP power as what differentiates PvE from PvP gear. I'm just hoping it means they're looking at the issue of how burst really affects PvP.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also. Instead of using precious time to sleep, I decided to be more productive and make a Chibi-Me from this thread in General: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8414181497

Chibi-Jackishi - I even gave myself a cute little Libram!: http://i.imgur.com/64gwTru.jpg

It's...amazingly addicting. Try to see how close you can make yours:
http://www.dolldivine.com/chibi-maker.php

Note: Yeah, I've got the wrong transmog on, I HAVE NO SHAME.

Edit: And no shoulders apparently. Wtf.
Edited by Jackishi on 3/23/2013 8:29 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
@ dallanna: i was really, really happy about the ducktales game remake. capcom might do some dumb stupid things with their IPs, but bringing this back is a good apology. i played the crap out of this game when i was a kid, and no one who has ever heard it will fail to recognize the moon stage music.

edit- forgot quote hurrrk

also, first pathfinder game in like a month today! i'm pretty nerdly so i'm looking forward to it.
Edited by Martana on 3/23/2013 10:39 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
It's...amazingly addicting. Try to see how close you can make yours:
http://www.dolldivine.com/chibi-maker.php

Chibi chibi!
http://imgur.com/mcLCN5l
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/23/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Martana
@ dallanna: i was really, really happy about the ducktales game remake. capcom might do some dumb stupid things with their IPs, but bringing this back is a good apology. i played the crap out of this game when i was a kid, and no one who has ever heard it will fail to recognize the moon stage music.

Seriously, the Moon Stage music is simply sublime. Whoever the composer was knew what they were doing.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]