Ultra Music Fest / Electronic Music

90 Night Elf Hunter
A lot of people from all over the world have gone to miami last weekend and this weekend for this festival. I was wondering if any of you have attended and if not what is your take on electronic music? I love it!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Never even heard of this until now. They had the Winter Music Conference all this time in the same place so why they maker another one?

No one listens to electronic music here. Just a bunch of metal heads.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
No one listens to electronic music here. Just a bunch of metal heads.

Wrong. Plenty of people here listen to EDM. See every music thread I have ever commented in. Also see EDM threads in this channel, with lots of responses. And the WMC, that's a music conference, not a festival. Sure, there will be DJs spinning, but that's only so they can show you the latest tech products for DJs. This has nothing to do with mixing a banging set and setting a crowd on fire.

Yeah, many of the posters here are metalheads. That's fine. Probably some that listen to classical too, country music, folk, rock, metal, funk, hip hop, what have you. But I couldn't say "no one listens to <insert genre here>", because someone does.

And, these people that won't give EDM a chance are also the same ones bobbing their heads to some electro track used in a commercial or a movie trailer, then later they go find it on iTunes. But they don't like EDM. Yeah, right.

Anyway.

The UMF is awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't get to attend 'cause I live in Los Angeles and I really just couldn't get out to Florida. UMF is one of America's only decent attempts at a commercial edm music festival. Theres other awesome ones out there, like Lightning in a Bottle and EDC, but those don't get promoted mainstream like UMF does.

And that, in my opinion, is the major reason why EDM doesn't really catch on in North America. It's marketed wrong, or not at all. People hear catchy tunes in commercials or Youtube videos and think "wow, what a cool song", but they never think to go search out that type of music for themselves. People over here still generally want their music picked for them (broadcast radio, iTunes top 50.... even streaming radio stations generally pick music for you).

Major music corporations cannot get a handle on music that is meant to be played within a DJ set, for a fairly limited amount of time. Most popular dance music is played extensively in sets before it's even released on a record label. By the time is comes out, there's new music in the pipeline that will replace it in those same sets. You also don't need a special look or a marketable face to make it big in dance music. Major music companies can't wrap their heads around this.

I listen to a lot of electronic music daily. I tend to like liquid drum and bass, tech house, deep house, breaks, and progressive. I also listen to a lot of Dubstep but I rarely mention it, because then I have to spend half an hour explaining the difference between dubstep (e.g. Loefah, Coki, Skream, anything on Deep Medi), and post-dubstep (e.g. Skrillex, Flux Pavilion, Krewella), so that people don't think I'm talking about "that music that sounds like a lawnmower and a fax machine", er, having sex. If I see one more stupid meme about how dubstep sounds like a 14.4 modem, my head will eggsplode.

I love EDM so much I could go on for days.

What artists/genres do you listen to?
Edited by Breakbeat on 3/25/2013 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sure it's called a "conference", but people still went to check it out for the music. DEMF was pretty big, but it's not as diverse as this UMF.

It has nothing to do with marketing. Americans just don't like electronic music. Look at europe. The BBC has been hosting amazing stations like the Essential Mixes and people like John Peel showcasing cutting edge stuff. Then there's the famous Ibiza parties. A whole freaking island dedicated to clubs.

I'm into techno and the two major festivals is I Love Techno in Belgium and Awakenings in Amsterdam. Then that massive Love Parade in Berlin and they have been it doing for years since the beginning. America did have a rave and club scene, but overall it seems to pale in comparison to how the europeans embrace it.

I mean who's even heard of Juan Atkins, Robert Hood or Jeff Mills? Probably more europeans know who they are then americans.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
It is quite the experience, I'm from Miami and took a trip back down from Gainesville to go, great party. Of course, there are a fair share of people there on illicit substances, but that is besides the point, the music was great and I was proud to see Swedish House Mafia for their last performance. Positron, while I can admire your name as an Electrical Engineer, I have to disagree heavily with your assessment on American's likes and dislikes regarding EDM. EDM is certainly not "mainstream" in the US but has certainly gained traction with the younger generation and UMF is one of, if not the largest, music festivals in the world.
Edited by Scamwow on 3/27/2013 8:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It is quite the experience, I'm from Miami and took a trip back down from Gainesville to go, great party. Of course, there are a fair share of people there on illicit substances, but that is besides the point, the music was great and I was proud to see Swedish House Mafia for their last performance. Positron, while I can admire your name as an Electrical Engineer, I have to disagree heavily with your assessment on American's likes and dislikes regarding EDM. EDM is certainly not "mainstream" in the US but has certainly gained traction against the younger generation and UMF is one of, if not the largest, music festivals in the world.

It's only taken them a couple decades to catch up and of course of all things they glom on to these new breed dubstep/electro sounds with Skrillex winning grammies. It's like a little too late and you are doing it wrong so this doesn't win me over and as you say it's still not mainstream so that's kind of my point.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
03/25/2013 10:52 PMPosted by Positron
It is quite the experience, I'm from Miami and took a trip back down from Gainesville to go, great party. Of course, there are a fair share of people there on illicit substances, but that is besides the point, the music was great and I was proud to see Swedish House Mafia for their last performance. Positron, while I can admire your name as an Electrical Engineer, I have to disagree heavily with your assessment on American's likes and dislikes regarding EDM. EDM is certainly not "mainstream" in the US but has certainly gained traction against the younger generation and UMF is one of, if not the largest, music festivals in the world.

It's only taken them a couple decades to catch up and of course of all things they glom on to these new breed dubstep/electro sounds with Skrillex winning grammies. It's like a little too late and you are doing it wrong so this doesn't win me over and as you say it's still not mainstream so that's kind of my point.

Your point was that Americans do not like EDM, "Americans just don't like electronic music." Yet UMF is one of, if not the largest EDM festivals in the world. My point was that while not mainstream, there is certainly a market for EDM in the United States - wouldn't you agree that while high performance gaming computers and pricey exotic cars are not "mainstream" in the US, there still seems to be a large market for them?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Your point was that Americans do not like EDM, "Americans just don't like electronic music." Yet UMF is one of, if not the largest EDM festivals in the world. My point was that while not mainstream, there is certainly a market for EDM in the United States - wouldn't you agree that while high performance gaming computers and pricey exotic cars are not "mainstream" in the US, there still seems to be a large market for them?

It's obviously a saying, an exaggeration. Of course there are people in America that like EDM. I actually hate that term, but anyways the early detroit and brooklyn raves are famous and that was in America.

You still don't see a mainstream radio station like BBC playing this type of music do you?

Again I really don't care that much that UMF is big because it doesn't really prove the music is big here, but I did agree that it in recent times it has finally got some traction though.

Anyways I really do hate the term EDM. I get the impression that people that use this term don't really know the music or it's history. If you want to know what I'm talking then watch the documentary called Pump Up The Volume. If you are not familiar with the content then you can't really call yourself a fan.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

It's obviously a saying, an exaggeration. Of course there are people in America that like EDM. I actually hate that term, but anyways the early detroit and brooklyn raves are famous and that was in America.

You still don't see a mainstream radio station like BBC playing this type of music do you?

Again I really don't care that much that UMF is big because it doesn't really prove the music is big here, but I did agree that it in recent times it has finally got some traction though.

Anyways I really do hate the term EDM. I get the impression that people that use this term don't really know the music or it's history. If you want to know what I'm talking then watch the documentary called Pump Up The Volume. If you are not familiar with the content then you can't really call yourself a fan.

Miami alone has two all EDM stations, while I'm sure other cities have more. Furthermore, its hard to find radio stations that play just one type of music, there are plenty here that periodically play EDM. The music is obviously quite popular in that all of the EDM festivals I'm aware of in the US fill up quite quickly. Whatever you'd like to call it is inconsequential, there are plenty of people in the US who love and listen to the music.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/25/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Positron
It has nothing to do with marketing. Americans just don't like electronic music. Look at europe. The BBC has been hosting amazing stations like the Essential Mixes and people like John Peel showcasing cutting edge stuff. Then there's the famous Ibiza parties. A whole freaking island dedicated to clubs.

QED. In other words, you proved my point.

The BBC hosts amazing stations... yep. Any commercial radio do that here? Nope. Could they? Yep.

Ibiza parties. Yep. Do we promote a "party location" here that has deep roots in dance music? No. Could we? Yep.

I'm just saying... if people here were exposed to the variety and quality of music that exists, maybe it would catch on. Instead, we get a slim - very slim - portion of what is available, and even that does not get promoted unless you can put a (unique) face behind it (e.g Skrillex). Ask the average American if they have ever heard any tech house or liquid drum and bass. You will get a blank stare back. Is this necessarily their fault? Well, perhaps in part. You could always seek out music on your own. But with a society that wants music selections handed to them on a platter... well, if you handed them some good electronic music, they would soak it up.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/27/2013 02:16 PMPosted by Positron
Anyways I really do hate the term EDM. I get the impression that people that use this term don't really know the music or it's history.

As do I. But try using terms like "dubstep". One of the most misunderstood terms around. Try throwing around "drum and bass" or "progressive", and as I mentioned, you get blank stares.

In a world where people use "techno" to describe any and all electronic music, I'll take the term EDM instead. At least EDM is correct when referring to all of the above I mentioned. Whereas, using "techno" or "dubstep" for any and all electronic music is absolutely not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
03/27/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Scamwow
Miami alone has two all EDM stations, while I'm sure other cities have more.

I live in the Dallas area and no EDM station has ever lasted for more than a couple of years before switching to something more consumer friendly. The closest we have now is 106.1 and well....here's a sample of their playlist:

Maroon 5 - Daylight
Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man
Rihanna / Mikky Ekko - Stay
Macklemore / Ryan Lewis / Wanz - Thrift Shop
Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child

There was a public radio station that had a couple of hours of real EDM but that was cancelled a few months ago.
Reply Quote
I can't even begin to remember the last time i ever tuned into any radio station. On the rare few occasions where one or more dedicated EDM stations were available to me, I've been consistently left with nothing but disappointment.
Fortunately, it's never been any of my concern the extent with which my favorite genres are marketed. I'm certainly not against the music I enjoy catching on more momentum, but remaining niche or unpopular has never detracted from how much I enjoy them.

It pains me more than anything every time I find myself in such discussions, that I even feel compelled to call the music I enjoy niche, when that isn't even remotely true. But at the same time, you couldn't pay me to attend something like Ultra. I'd feel like a fish out of water, suffocated and drowned out in a sea of ravaged fanatics.

I almost hate both the notion of terms underground or mainstream, and so because of this disconnect, it's never bothered me the lack of interest or effort in promoting EDM amongst the American audience.
Really, as a few others have already stated, there are plenty fans for EDM genres on these forums and anywhere, everywhere. No fan should need radio, gigs, festival or any hand of guidance of any such nonsense to direct them where they need to be or what names to follow.

Obviously, when you're a fan for the music (and any genre of music), you're going to have put the effort in already to know beforehand which sounds you enjoy. Names, producers or DJs you'll follow, reliable labels you'll keep falling back on again and again. Scenes together with EDM you've grown in, and scenes you'll continue to discover locally or far away as time goes on.

I won't say it's of any importance from which part of the world or from which generation you got into EDM. Whether you're an at-home easy listener who just can't get a good night's rest without some dark/tribal progressive house or driving progressive psy, or someone who could dance their life away in a trip of one never ending after hours party.
It's the extent of your interest in these genres shown only in your effort to simply find the music on your own, that speaks volumes for yourself both as a fan and a person.

You could say the lack of any positive mainstream promotion for EDM is in no way any indication for the lack of interest in these genres on an individual basis.
In other words, could we do with a little more exposure state-side? Sure, I don't suppose we shouldn't, but I've no complaints otherwise because I'm confident it's been of no relevant concern in the past and will continue to be a non issue for years to come.
Edited by Gnoes on 4/9/2013 11:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Gnoes,

That was a great read, and I just wanted to quote one section because it so closely mirrors how I feel about the world of electronic music:

04/09/2013 11:32 PMPosted by Gnoes
It's the extent of your interest in these genres shown only in your effort to simply find the music on your own, that speaks volumes for yourself both as a fan and a person.

Indeed, once you start seeking out your own music instead of taking only what is handed to you over the radio or on the iTunes top 50, you realize there is so much great music out there. This is one thing I have to hand to all the metal heads in the other threads on this forum. They understand how to find and follow music they enjoy, even though you would never hear any of those songs on your local FM radio or "Top 50" list.

I agree with the other points you convey. I never listen to commercial broadcast radio either, and that has nothing to do with the fact that I listen to mainly EDM. Even if I was a fan of pop/alternative or what have you, I would still make an effort to seek out music in the genres I love, rather than take the slim pickings that are handed to me over the airwaves.

I would attend something like UMF if it were held here in Los Angeles -- I still go to festivals, events and desert parties here in California. But, I don't go there to find out about new music. I go there because parking myself in front of the subwoofers for a few hours every now and then is, as silly as it may sound, an important part of my life. It's an amazing feeling that can't be captured any other way.

Oh, heck, one more quote, OK?

You could say the lack of any positive mainstream promotion for EDM is in no way any indication for the lack of interest in these genres on an individual basis.

I agree wholeheartedly. Where I get frustrated and disappointed is with this bastardized version of dance music culture we have here, with crowd-surfing DJs spinning (read: double-clicking) on "dubstep" tracks that are actually electro house or some other genre. In and of itself, that "scene" wouldn't be a source of disappointment for me. But I want to see EDM grow, I want to see it hit mainstream (lack of a better term) here like it is in Europe and Russia, I want to show people that there is more to EDM than Swedish House Mafia.
Edited by Breakbeat on 4/10/2013 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]