Disc Healing after 5.2

90 Gnome Priest
I'm not level 90 yet (obviously) and I only got MoP about a week ago, so I'm still getting into the swing of things. I do have mana issues occasionally at my level and so I tend to keep my Mindbender friend (his friends call him Eddy) out constantly. Is anyone doing this at the top levels? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

It just feels like a great way to keep my mana bar all shiny and blue. Eddy is all "I EAT UR FACE, BAD GUY! NOMNOMNOM!" and my mana bar is all "Oh Eddy, you make me so shiny!" and we're a big, happy family.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'm not level 90 yet (obviously) and I only got MoP about a week ago, so I'm still getting into the swing of things. I do have mana issues occasionally at my level and so I tend to keep my Mindbender friend (his friends call him Eddy) out constantly. Is anyone doing this at the top levels? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

It just feels like a great way to keep my mana bar all shiny and blue. Eddy is all "I EAT UR FACE, BAD GUY! NOMNOMNOM!" and my mana bar is all "Oh Eddy, you make me so shiny!" and we're a big, happy family.

You should be using Mindbender on CD every time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Here is The thing Disc priest who were bad which was about 2/3 of them were being covered up by how OP Disc was.... Sorry disc Holy is back well almost
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
All I got out of this was Cascade refreshes renew in Serenity? O.o
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue

This. Disc and Pallys are still the two most OP healers in the game..check the stats for ToT top healers its mostly those two.
In fact I think Blizz failed at nerfing Disc they just made them better in other areas lol. Such bad balancing. They
constantly top the meters, I'm not saying nerf them but alteast buff the others substantially (Druids, Shammys, Monks)

Who's your dealer? I gotta ask, because those must be some epic-level narcotics you managed to buy off him.

Ok so wheres your proof? Its not enough to say someone is just wrong. Lol go check the world of logs stats man its all there for you to see...I see it myself raiding ToT..disc and pallys still have an advantage over others..they basically are sniping heals most of the time anyways with shields..atonements lol. Like whats the point then,
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Ok so wheres your proof? Its not enough to say someone is just wrong. Lol go check the world of logs stats man its all there for you to see...I see it myself raiding ToT..disc and pallys still have an advantage over others..they basically are sniping heals most of the time anyways with shields..atonements lol. Like whats the point then,

It would be harder to laugh at you if you actually posted on your main. :)
Reply Quote
It would be harder to laugh at you if you actually posted on your main. :)

I disagree. I'd still find a reason to laugh.

Unless the completely remove absorb mechanics from the game or give them to every class, neither of which is likely, those healers with absorbs are going to be "OP". Not necessarily truly over powered but that is the perception that everyone has. I dont know about pally's as i dont have one (even as an alt) but disc does have a down side. If we dont pre-shield damage it takes FOREVER for us to get people topped back off. We dont have any burst AoE healing because we "can't crit" we get a shield instead of a bigger heal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Lol go check the world of logs stats man its all there for you to see...

It's funny how much more often you see paladin/mw on fights that matter. i hope you're not counting horridon normal as your only sample set or something...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Surely disc priests aren't complaining are they?

In a vacuum disc heals are fine. Pally heals are OP. EF/mastery needs to be toned down quite a bit imo.

Disc Priests are still OP if you ask me, but it's not the healing. Their healing is fine, it's the dps they bring while not sacrificing healing. They can float very competitive healing numbers while doing 50-60k dps on some fights.

That imo is OP. Blizzard specifically stated that they do not want a healer to do a lot of dps without sacrificing a lot of healing. This is the issue I have. They're currently sacrificing nothing to do very good dps. And that is gamechanging on some encounters to the point that raid groups have zero incentive to, once again, bring nothing but a disc priest and holy pally as their 2 main healers.

Case in point, one of my raid teams, the one I raid with this druid actually, was having some difficulties on Elder Council when transitioning to Sul's phase. So we decided to completely zerg Sul to death. Lust @start, Disc preist did nothing but smite heal on Sul the entire encounter.
Sul was dead long before his phase and this encounter became a complete joke. Caution; will only work with an executing warrior unless overgeared. Raid burns him to 30-35% before they have to switch. Disc priest and warrior are enough to finish him off with plenty of time to spare.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/26/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Tonydanza

Only people who hit one button and won prior to the patch are complaining.
Reply Quote
73 Undead Warlock
I found one major problem for those interested. My penance macro was setup incorrectly. I previously had:

/cast [help,nodead,@mouseover][help,nodead,@target][help,nodead,@targettarget] Penance

After playing around with it for a bit I realized that none of my penance spells were hitting my target (boss). With the above macro, penance was being cast on my target of target (usually a tank). Here is a quick fix for anyone needing a penance macro which heals on mouseover and also helps with atonement when targeting the boss. Thanks all!

/cast [help,nodead,harm][help,nodead,@mouseover][@target]Penance

and of course to show penance in your bars using this macro you can paste this on the first line: #showtooltip penance
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/hps/

the numbers dont lie..no matter how you break it down, normal..10man..25..ranks of top 40 per fight instead of top 10..like I dont understand how you can argue against the actual numbers. Pallys and Disc are highly visible as top HPS..just in denial if you dispute that.
Reply Quote
73 Undead Warlock

In a vacuum disc heals are fine. Pally heals are OP. EF/mastery needs to be toned down quite a bit imo.

Disc Priests are still OP if you ask me, but it's not the healing. Their healing is fine, it's the dps they bring while not sacrificing healing. They can float very competitive healing numbers while doing 50-60k dps on some fights.

That imo is OP. Blizzard specifically stated that they do not want a healer to do a lot of dps without sacrificing a lot of healing. This is the issue I have. They're currently sacrificing nothing to do very good dps. And that is gamechanging on some encounters to the point that raid groups have zero incentive to, once again, bring nothing but a disc priest and holy pally as their 2 main healers.

Case in point, one of my raid teams, the one I raid with this druid actually, was having some difficulties on Elder Council when transitioning to Sul's phase. So we decided to completely zerg Sul to death. Lust @start, Disc preist did nothing but smite heal on Sul the entire encounter.
Sul was dead long before his phase and this encounter became a complete joke. Caution; will only work with an executing warrior unless overgeared. Raid burns him to 30-35% before they have to switch. Disc priest and warrior are enough to finish him off with plenty of time to spare.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with this comment. Yes, my heals are still up to par and I'm constantly hitting 70k hps and up to above 90k hps with everything timed perfectly on heal intense fights. Shammies and druids that I've healed with can't compete yet I find that it's hard to keep up with equally skilled paladins at the same level of gear or even slightly less geared than myself and this bothers me :).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
03/26/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Nitefire
highly visible

visible. sure. you seem to have changed your tune. but so are mistweavers and holy priest has top ranks and here and there. we can all cherry pick all we want. there are even resto shaman ranks in the top 10 on 10 man at least. if anything, other classes need a tune up. i'm ok with nerfing disc or really nerfing any spec that really needs it. it's hard to nerf absorbs properly, at least they're trying. disc certainly isn't the same way it was in 5.1, that's for sure! specs like disc and mw are also going to look really good on fights with low damage for long periods of time.

personally i think being able to atonement heal for as long as we do at this point is kind of silly. let's fix that somehow.
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Mage
OK, I have what is probably a very stupid question, but I got depressed in my raid the other night when the druid and resto shaman were topping my disc priest on the meters, even though I was doing about 70-90K HPS - I looked at the overhealing, though, and I guess because I was doing mostly PW:S and atonement, with some SS thrown in, my overhealing was minimal.
So is it correct to subtract overhealing numbers from overall healing to get a better measure of how effective each healer is? Or do I just suck?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc priest who were bad which was about 2/3 of them were being covered up by how OP Disc was

This. I've raided with so many disc priests who don't understand such simple concepts, like shield someone before korthik strike, shield the character with parasitic growth, a bad overload is about to happen on stone guard so pop spirit shell and pre shield the raid, keep a shield up on the tank, pop power word barrier BEFORE the huge amount of damage, not after. before this patch they were able to compete on the meters by only casting prayer of healing non stop until they went oom, and now all of them are confused and mad because their numbers are horrible.

03/26/2013 02:11 PMPosted by Senta
So is it correct to subtract overhealing numbers from overall healing to get a better measure of how effective each healer is?

That'll tell you how efficient they are, but higher hps is higher hps, overhealing is seperate. You bring atonement and increased damage to the raid along with utility, so if your numbers are good (which 70-90k is plenty) then you aren't bad. Some fights are just more tuned to certain healers.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
03/26/2013 02:11 PMPosted by Senta
So is it correct to subtract overhealing numbers from overall healing to get a better measure of how effective each healer is?

No, absolutely not. The "Healing Done" section of Recount/Skada/WoL counts only effective healing - in other words, the overhealing is already subtracted. You don't get to subtract it again.

Or do I just suck?

No, absolutely not. If you're doing 70-90k 3-healing normals and you aren't topping the charts, there is something wrong, but it's not your healing. There simply should not be that much damage.

It's likely that you could optimize a little better to make yourself look better comparatively. Spirit Shell timing, Atonement buttonmashing speed, Archangel uptime, and Cascade timing are the sorts of things you could look at. You could probably also get some more mileage out of PWS if you're ending fights with mana. But it sounds like you're already doing quite enough healing for the content you're working on, and there are clearly other things that must be fixed.
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks Zaganzee and Kaels for the help. Kaels, I should have just asked you directly lol but I hate to bother you in game. Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Aw, you're always welcome to ask me stuff :)

(You'll get more detailed answers on forums, though. Better format for me. Plus other people can chime in.)

You have access to our World of Logs account, right? You should start logging. I'd really like to see what's going on that's forcing you guys to do that much healing. We're rarely seeing even one healer above 60k. Also, if you log, some of the disc priests here might be able to give you some pointers to make you look more awesome on the lolmeters :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Disc priests are still in a great spot.

We not only are pretty much the only class that can prevent massive amounts of damage strategically, but we are also the only ones who are able to do 1/3-1/2 the damage of a dps through atonement on some fights.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]