Realm merge

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
Will WoW ever see a realm merge? Atleast for the low pop servers, now with Oondasta and all, hoping that realm merges between low pop realms would help make finding groups be easier...

There is always a possibility that economy blah blah blah... but then again, I'd rather have a populated server than a temporary economic issue.

Opinions?
90 Blood Elf Priest
a temporary economic issue

Err... Population changes have lasting effects on server economies.

I guarantee that - even if the effect is only a small change - the effect will not go away unless enough people leave to negate the population change.

Having said that, Blizzard is averse to server merges.
90 Pandaren Monk
03/22/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Traleda
a temporary economic issue

Err... Population changes have lasting effects on server economies.

I guarantee that - even if the effect is only a small change - the effect will not go away unless enough people leave to negate the population change.

Having said that, Blizzard is averse to server merges.

Debatable... especially with low pop realms.
90 Draenei Mage
03/22/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Koliu
Will WoW ever see a realm merge?

I hope not. I would rather they fix the population issue for ever and not apply the band-aid fix of realm mergers.
90 Pandaren Monk
Will WoW ever see a realm merge?

I hope not. I would rather they fix the population issue for ever and not apply the band-aid fix of realm mergers.

I mean wouldn't having a smaller list of realms to choose from fix population issues permanently?

I mean the whole cross realm thing was the biggest temporary fix fail ever but I'd imagine merging would help permanently.
Edited by Koliu on 3/22/2013 6:29 PM PDT
90 Draenei Mage
I mean wouldn't having a smaller list of realms to choose from fix population issues permanently.. lol

Temporally...that is why it is a band-aid. The worst part is that historically, realms that have been part of mergers tend to be the ones that run into population issues int the future.
90 Pandaren Monk
03/22/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Solaru
I mean wouldn't having a smaller list of realms to choose from fix population issues permanently.. lol

Temporally...that is why it is a band-aid. The worst part is that historically, realms that have been part of mergers tend to be the ones that run into population issues int the future.

Am I missing something? I don't understand how it's a temporary fix. Less realms to choose from = higher populated realms?

not trying to start a debate just kind of lost.
Edited by Koliu on 3/22/2013 6:33 PM PDT
90 Orc Death Knight
How do you propose solving the issue with duplicate names? In both guilds and characters
90 Draenei Mage
Am I missing something? I don't understand how it's a temporary fix. Less realms to choose from = higher populated realms?

Temporally. What happens when the population of WoW goes from 10 million to 7 million? You need to either find a permanent fix or reapply the band-aid over and over again. As I said before, the worst part is that realms that are part of mergers tend to be the ones that become low pop in the future.
90 Pandaren Monk
03/22/2013 06:37 PMPosted by Solaru

Temporally. What happens when the population of WoW goes from 10 million to 7 million? You need to either find a permanent fix or reapply the band-aid over and over again. As I said before, the worst part is that realms that are part of mergers tend to be the ones that become low pop in the future.

We've had realms merged before?

How do you propose solving the issue with duplicate names? In both guilds and characters

That's actually a good question...
How would one solve the issue of duplicate names while paying for a realm change?
Edited by Koliu on 3/22/2013 6:46 PM PDT
Consider that people have built relationships with people on these servers, each one has a community of players. When you do a server merge you destroy those relationships, you destroy these communities. This is exactly what Mythic did with WAR and why that game lost so many subscribers so quickly (on top of the fact that the game was indeed, horrible) I should know because I was one of the many who lost their guild/friends/server community to server merges.

Server merges risk doing more harm than good to the game and I hope that Blizzard never considers them as an option for the foreseeable future.
90 Pandaren Monk
Consider that people have built relationships with people on these servers, each one has a community of players. When you do a server merge you destroy those relationships, you destroy these communities. This is exactly what Mythic did with WAR and why that game lost so many subscribers so quickly (on top of the fact that the game was indeed, horrible) I should know because I was one of the many who lost their guild/friends/server community to server merges.

Server merges risk doing more harm than good to the game and I hope that Blizzard never considers them as an option for the foreseeable future.

But community isn't really an issue imo... ( and I'll know someone will disagree with me)
but really.. if a whole realm gets merged with another whole realm, your community will expand, nobody will really be lost, and considering that guilds have so many spaces makes it easier.

Once again. They are never going to merge servers. Name clashes....hmmm...also some people like low pop servers. Also..you can xfer realms or make a new toon on a high pop realm. How many times do we have to see this thread?

OH and I like my low pop server.

If there are multiple threads then it's probably because the community has an issue...
and I addressed the name clashes. You can xfer realms which costs more money, and really.. "make a new toon" doesn't really seem like a fair statement lol.

But yeah, I know more people who have quit due to low population rather than cata.
Edited by Koliu on 3/22/2013 6:51 PM PDT
90 Draenei Mage

Well NetEase has merged realms in China before but that was only 8 or so months ago but Blizzard has never merged realms. I was talking "historically" as in several other MMOs. WoW was not "My First MMO" as it was for so many people at the time of it's launch :P

Wow might be down to 7 million pretty soon It's numbers keep dropping has anyone looked at the graph?
You know, WoW is going to go down but it is also going to spike up when new content is released, just like when MoP came out. That is another reason for dynamic fixes that can adjust to temporary growth as well.
Edited by Solaru on 3/22/2013 6:51 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Monk
03/22/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Solaru

Well NetEase has merged realms in China before but that was only 8 or so months ago, I was talking "historically" as in several other MMOs. WoW was not "My First MMO" as it was for so many people at the time of it's launch :P

Wow might be down to 7 million pretty soon It's numbers keep dropping has anyone looked at the graph?
You know, WoW is going to go down but it is also going to spike up when new content is released, just like when MoP came out. That is another reason for dynamic fixes that can adjust to temporary growth as well.

MMO's as big as WoW? In contrast I've seen a few games in my own time that have thrived past their expiration date due to server merging.
Also the spike up statement isn't necessarily true... we "could" spike up, but spike down right after.. or else we wouldn't be dropping to 7 million soon. I feel people are kind of nit picking this because they're afraid of change. But really, if you want to play an MMO with 5 people why would you play WoW... or even enjoy raiding.
Edited by Koliu on 3/22/2013 6:55 PM PDT
But community isn't really an issue imo... ( and I'll know someone will disagree with me)
but really.. if a whole realm gets merged with another whole realm, your community will expand, nobody will really be lost, and considering that guilds have so many spaces makes it easier.

It's not the same. Again take it from someone who's been through a server merge. I've been there. I know what it's like and it's not good. Yes there are more people, but that doesn't mean the communities of those two servers are compatible, then as someone else pointed out you have to deal with the name changes (both with characters and guilds). This can also cause massive damage to a realm population as some people can be very attached to their guilds and characters.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]