Realm merge

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
If there is a next step, is it to make it so npc's could have intelligent conversations with you? Garrosh is a jerk..
90 Draenei Mage
03/22/2013 08:15 PMPosted by Koliu
In regards to the first step, the next step would be

...the idea of a CRAH for low pop realms that seems to be coming.

03/22/2013 08:15 PMPosted by Koliu
Sadly, you never mentioned anything about "solving every issue of low pop reams as people make it out to be".
When people say it is band-aid for server issues, that is what they are saying. It is not a temp fix at all. It was not meant to be any sort of magic bullet. It was meant to populate zones. The fact that low pop realms benefit more from this is an added bonus.

If you really read this literally I guess you could say it wasn't meant to be a fix for low population realms
Well there is no other way to read it. It is fairly plain and straight forward. Some people just try to read more into things that is actually there.

If there is a next step, is it to make it so npc's could have intelligent conversations with you? Garrosh is a jerk..

Good luck with that...you could put him in all lev 90 int cloth and he would still be of "Sub-Gump" intelligence :P

Edit: It helps us meet folks hm? That's funny because I still see the same 8 people in Orgrimmar.

Org is not a cross realm zone. It is excluded just like Pandaria.
Edited by Solaru on 3/22/2013 8:25 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
How do you propose solving the issue with duplicate names?

You must complete a series of challenges....or have more RL cash to throw at it than the other guy.
90 Pandaren Monk

Edit: It helps us meet folks hm? That's funny because I still see the same 8 people in Orgrimmar.

Org is not a cross realm zone. It is excluded just like Pandaria.

That was actually my point lol. CRZ might "help" (it really doesn't seeing as how you can't xrealm loot oondasta) in crz zones, but what about big city zones like org, where it really matters the most.
Edited by Koliu on 3/22/2013 8:29 PM PDT
100 Draenei Paladin
The positives of server mergers far, far outweigh the negatives.

But I doubt we'll ever get them because it's "bad press".

Servers are dieing or dead, people on those servers are expected to fork out stupid amounts of cash to move all their characters somewhere else.

Those willing and able to do so are going to mega servers further contributing to the problem, those who can't or won't are quitting.

Vicious cycle that Blizzard is either blind too or doesn't care about.
90 Goblin Rogue
The permanent solution:

• Cross Realm PvP and Raiding for all content in game, including current progression content
  • Cross Realm Guild Invites
  • Regional Auction Houses

Everyone becomes name@server, similar to how our characters are already tagged on this very website.

Solves many to most of the issues low pop servers face. Maintains all current guild and character names. Will ensure a proper pool of players to run content with regardless of how much the overall population grows or contracts.
Edited by Kips on 3/22/2013 8:28 PM PDT
90 Draenei Mage
That was actually my point lol. CRZ might "help" (it really doesn't seeing as how you can't xrealm loot oondasta) in crz zones, but what about big city zones like org, where it really matters the most.

Maybe on a low pop realm but on a normal or high pop realm that would be killer laggy. I am not sure they can turn it on and off per zone and per server. That might be something they are working on (and maybe should)

But I doubt we'll ever get them because it's "bad press".

They already had that when they announced that 1/4th of all players left the game in a 2 year span.

Vicious cycle that Blizzard is either blind too or doesn't care about.
...or has a different plan.

The permanent solution:

* Cross Realm PvP and Raiding for all content in game, including current progression content
* Cross Realm Guild Invites
* Regional Auction Houses
I would be willing to bet that this is not far off from their plan. They might only do it so the features are for low pop realms (no need for more stuff on a high pop realms AH)

Will ensure a proper pool of players to run content with regardless of how much the overall population grows or contracts.
That would be the major upside to this. A player's game experience would be almost the same when WoW is at 10 million subs and when it is at 1 million subs. They can change the "pool sizes" without players noticing much of a change.
100 Pandaren Monk
03/22/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Solaru
That would be the major upside to this.

I've thought on the permanent solution quite a bit.

You would even have players rerolling/transfering OFF high pop servers to avoid queue times, and grab names that are otherwise unavailable to them on their current server.

And why not, if they can maintain their guild/raid/pvp spot?
57 Pandaren Monk
My major issue with this is the amount of time involved in coming up with a comprehensive solution. I highly doubt there will be any sort of mergers since several blues including GC have posting saying that it's unlikely for reasons of fairness involving names etc. It's however also unfair to expect people to either pay extra or re-roll to experience the game as intended.

My guild and several others have left our poor little server and let me tell you having other people around and end game content makes this game much more enjoyable. There is current tech avail to allow for this and Bliz could quite easily do something like institute a free xfer with an extended CD to certain destination realms or allow for a package transfer discount.
90 Goblin Hunter
Wow might be down to 7 million pretty soon It's numbers keep dropping has anyone looked at the graph?

Yes. We are down 300k subs in the last 18 months. Prior to that it was a pretty steep decline but it seems to have tapered off.

Solaru is right, server mergers aren't the solution. You need to identify the issues of a small server, the usual complaints that I see are the AH and raiding scene, and fix those in a manner that they will never be a problem again because small servers will continue to happen. Cross server AH and cross server raiding of the current tier along with an easy in game method of finding people who currently want to do the raid solve some of the issues. They can already do cross realm raid groups they just choose to not allow it for current tier. Cross realm AH probably needs some precautions to prevent gold seller abuse.
Edited by Sayne on 3/23/2013 8:48 AM PDT
90 Troll Shaman
solaru I have to disagree about server merges being a band aid.

Sure it could be if they only merged a few servers but if they merged lets say half and removed the other half to me that would actually be a long term fix and not a band aid at all.

They could in fact do without half these realms and have a strong, sustainable population on all realms.
90 Draenei Mage
to me that would actually be a long term fix and not a band aid at all.
The fact that it is not permanent and will need to be done over an over as WoW declines is what makes it a band aid.

What history has proven with other MMOs is that shortly after mergers, population issues crop up again. This might be due to the communities not jelling, a lack of progression, or countless other factors.

Let's say Blizz merged realms toady to at least med population, with natural migration, the fact that low pop servers tend to be more prone to population issues and maybe a small loss in sub numbers, Mergers will need to be done sooner rather than later again.
100 Human Priest
Blizzard needs to start hemorrhaging money before server merges happen. It would be a way to reduce costs during a time when you're running a deficit. So until that point, we have CRZ.
90 Draenei Mage
Blizzard needs to start hemorrhaging money before server merges happen
2 things...
1) Profits have been up for Blizzard for a while.
2) Server mergers save money.
100 Blood Elf Warrior
03/22/2013 06:14 PMPosted by Koliu
Having said that, Blizzard is averse to server merges.

And rightfully so. Merging servers creates a whole new slew of problems that have to be sorted, and may not be an actual fix to the issues of world bosses, etc, if people don't stay *on* the merged server.

Even if the name issue was fixed (which could be done by giving every character an option to select an individual surname - per character, not per account - on a first-come, first-serve basis), there's still the issues of Guild Names, and then Server Firsts, etc, etc.

It's a messy situation, and the answer isn't as simple as just saying 'well, merge servers and be done with it!'.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Will WoW ever see a realm merge? Atleast for the low pop servers, now with Oondasta and all, hoping that realm merges between low pop realms would help make finding groups be easier...

There is always a possibility that economy blah blah blah... but then again, I'd rather have a populated server than a temporary economic issue.

Opinions?

A realm merge would be considered a negative in the eyes of most nonplayers, Blizz higher ups, stock holders etc etc. "Oh NO they are mergeing realms, subs must be getting dangerously low to take such a drastic measure.

Theres also name issues that will pop up and who decides who has to change their name when so many are attached to such things.

I am pro realm merge, just dont see it happening.
100 Human Priest
03/24/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Solaru
Blizzard needs to start hemorrhaging money before server merges happen
2 things...
1) Profits have been up for Blizzard for a while.
2) Server mergers save money.

Server merges are a sign of bad things. They make shareholders tremble with fear. Blizzard isn't going to piss off shareholders.
90 Draenei Mage
Server merges are a sign of bad things. They make shareholders tremble with fear.
That already happened when they announced that 1/4 of all subscribers left the game in a 2 year period.

Blizzard isn't going to piss off shareholders.

Shareholders care about profits. If WoW had 1 million players and was making more money, they would be happier. Server mergers are something that gamers percive as a bad thing...share holders might see it as making the game more profitable by cutting expences.
57 Pandaren Monk
Well, what about fair? Is it fair that people on low pop servers that can't afford the money or time to get off have a diminished game? Is it fair that they have to pay extra or re-roll for the same experience as everyone else? I'm all for a comprehensive solution but, something needs to be done in the mean time for these folks.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]