JC: Tedious and impossible to get cuts...

90 Human Death Knight
...without losing your mind.

Seriously, getting JC recipes for WotLK and Cataclysm is insane. A token per day, and MANY recipes, each costs 3-6 tokens.

Why Blizzard won't revamp this and make it like MoP, with a research per day and something to ignore research cooldowns?
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight
The issue is completionist versus launch. The MoP lottery means you don't get to control what you get. In Cata, you could choose the cut you wanted as the first one. In MoP, RNG could make it last.

Cata gave you XP and was a profit maker. MoP could easily/usually lose money. On balance, I prefer Cata.

Now adding the Inscription idea - do a MoP c/d and learn a pre-MoP pattern - could make sense .
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I much enjoy the old way but you really don't need Cata cuts at all now. They only go in Cata gear and no one uses gems while leveling 5 levels. Wrath cuts can be worthwhile if you have them but are a very small niche market. Unless you intend to play that niche they aren't worth it either.

If you are simply a completionist then you're already aware that completing a book normally takes many years.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Now adding the Inscription idea - do a MoP c/d and learn a pre-MoP pattern - could make sense .

DAT.

I'd rather get random, but WAY FASTER, than choose what I want, and take AGES to get something.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/23/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Higeki
I much enjoy the old way but you really don't need Cata cuts at all now. They only go in Cata gear and no one uses gems while leveling 5 levels. Wrath cuts can be worthwhile if you have them but are a very small niche market. Unless you intend to play that niche they aren't worth it either.

You seen to be forgetting about twinks and/or people who don't have MoP yet, for various reasons. They are aways a good market.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Twinks are why it is worthwhile getting the Wrath cuts. I own that market on my server.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I hate the MoP method. Purely random results with no control beyond which color.

My JC alt has researched almost every pvp cut. I have zero interest in ever going back to pvp. I'm still unable to cut the one orange gem that half my toons would use.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
There's only 22 orange cuts...if you actually do the research with orange gems you will always learn an orange cut, unless you already have them all in which case you'll get a random one.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
I liked the pre mop system, Much more profitable then the mop system.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Twinks are why it is worthwhile getting the Wrath cuts. I own that market on my server.

Worthwhile to get all of the cuts? Or to spend 2 weeks getting the cuts that sell relibaly?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warlock
I thought the system was fine then, and see no need to change it now, especially since the uses are more niche than practical these days. (Oh and, yes I do have a JC toon.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
03/26/2013 09:24 AMPosted by Jozie

Worthwhile to get all of the cuts? Or to spend 2 weeks getting the cuts that sell relibaly?

What is the point of gating it so severely now? The only benefit is that a few people can "own" that market, but that is hardly a worthwhile goal. I was running the Cata and WotLK dailies for a good part of a year and I still don't have a bunch of recipes.

One good change would be to change the prices for all pre-Mists cuts to 1 token, rather than 2-5. Consider even selling 2 of the "random" ones from Cata for 1/2 token each (2 per token). That would allow us completionists some reasonable likelihood of achieving our goal and would not negatively impact anyone, except possibly for the small group that is providing prior cuts to twinks.

My bet is that that market is very small and many of us wouldn't bother competing anyway since our focus is on learning all the recipes rather than competing in gem sales.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I sell 3 red, 3 blue, 3 yellow, about a dozen orange, 7 purple and maybe a green or two. Double that for epics and it takes a bit more work to get the cuts. There's also 6 meta's that are worthwhile.

The key is to price your gems high enough to make a profit with relists but low enough to sell. It's not a market for everyone and I wouldn't bother with all those cuts on a lower pop server. However, I got them all when they were current so I have no complaints that I'm still using the cuts I learned 4 years ago to make a profit now.

If you have competition it's not worth undercutting and it may not be worth listing. You have to be careful with your margins. This is where my "know your server, the markets, relative values and cheap suppliers" knowledge built up over the last five years comes in mighty handy.
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage
03/26/2013 09:24 AMPosted by Jozie

All you need for Wrath cuts are the three main reds (Bold, Brilliant and Delicate); you could get some metas too if you want, but there's no point in any non-red gems pre-MoP when the secondary stats were seriously buffed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Which reinforces the point that these recipes should be much easier to obtain!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
There's only 22 orange cuts...if you actually do the research with orange gems you will always learn an orange cut, unless you already have them all in which case you'll get a random one.

I consider 22 days to learn a single useful recipe to be a seriously broken system.

Give me JC tokens and let me spend them on the recipes that I choose. Enough of this RNG bullcrap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]