Would Love to Change My Name...

90 Blood Elf Paladin
...But someone else already has it. I really would like a name, but there is someone already named that on my server (Earthen Ring). I wouldn't normally ask, and I would just come up with something else, but this person hasn't logged into that character in so long that the profile no longer displays. I've read other posts where people have a similar problem and the only way that I would ever get this name is for the person with the account to give it up, or for that account to be inactive for so long that Blizzard might give me the name. I'm just wondering if this is true, whether or not to keep the ticket I currently have open, and whether or not to stop wasting my time and just pick something else.

Thanks in advance for any help this thread gets :)
Edited by Vrakthris on 3/25/2013 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
Open a ticket and ask.

That's how it's done. If it meets the criteria, they'll free up the name.
Reply Quote
43 Pandaren Monk
Submit a ticket. They have very strict guidelines for taking a name. It doesn't hurt to ask and see if they can free the name up for you. Note that if the GM does free the name it is not reserved for you. Anyone can take it. So you gotta try and be quick.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Super long ticket times. I've had one in since about 10 PST...I know that this isn't a pressing issue, but I would love a quick answer from a blue :D
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Super long ticket times. I've had one in since about 10 PST...I know that this isn't a pressing issue, but I would love a quick answer from a blue :D

Blues on this forum don't make that determination. Even if they did say that it was likely it could be done, it would still be on the GM to do it. Tickets are around 5 days right now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

If you want a one on one with a blue/GM, submit a ticket, this is a player to player assisted forums, what everyone else is saying is correct, you have to submit a ticket to see if you can free up a name. The SFAs here cannot do it, they are not in-game GMs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/25/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Ravenwülf

If you want a one on one with a blue/GM, submit a ticket, this is a player to player assisted forums, what everyone else is saying is correct, you have to submit a ticket to see if you can free up a name. The SFAs here cannot do it, they are not in-game GMs.

As I've stated before, I do have a ticket open (since 10 am this morning). I appreciate you guys commenting, but basically what I'm looking for is confirmation that this whole process is a possibility and that I'm not wasting my time waiting for a response from a GM.

Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
03/25/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Petillant

As I've stated before, I do have a ticket open (since 10 am this morning). I appreciate you guys commenting, but basically what I'm looking for is confirmation that this whole process is a possibility and that I'm not wasting my time waiting for a response from a GM.

Is it possible? Yes. If it meets criteria. Only a GM can definitively state if it does or not. You'll need to wait on your ticket. I believe their still in the 3+ days range?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent

It really isn't a determination I can make, Petillant. That the character has not been logged into for a while is a good sign, but it not the only criteria that is looked at. We look at the overall account and account status as well as the individual character.

I appreciate you guys commenting, but basically what I'm looking for is confirmation that this whole process is a possibility and that I'm not wasting my time waiting for a response from a GM.

That we can certainly confirm. Yes, it is a possibility. :)

Requesting a Name to be Released for Reuse

If it can be made available a Game Master will let you know.
Edited by Vrakthris on 3/25/2013 6:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Names have been freed up before, but the actually requirements have never been released. If the account is still active, they will say No. There is no way to tell an inactive account from one player profile. They could be not using that current character for a while. I have a few toons I haven't touched in a long while (4+ years). But my account has been active since launch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks so much for the quick response! I will continue to be patient in my place in the queue :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not to be a bugger or to seem impatient, I still haven't received a GM response for this. Any ideas as to how much longer I should wait before just abandoning the idea altogether?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Last I saw, tickets were running around 3 days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I've been waiting over three days lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I do have a ticket open (since 10 am this morning)
Apparently, you've only had that one in since yesterday.

You'll need to wait on your ticket.

EDIT: Ok, I scrolled up a little farther and saw you did mention it two days ago, not one. My apologies.

You'll still need to wait, though.
Edited by Taamane on 3/27/2013 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Btw the price for a name change IS WAY OVERPRICED.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10$? That's not too bad imo.

It's the faction/server changes that are odd.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Last I saw, tickets were running around 3 days.

Around 2 days 9.5 hours. :) Hang in there, Petillant, queue times have been steadily declining. They are currently a little over 3 days for most requests so it shouldn't be too much longer.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Btw the price for a name change IS WAY OVERPRICED.

As for the pricing, understand that these services were introduced based on player feedback. A rename option was one of first services that folks asked for and the pricing was based on that feedback.

Faction Changes and Transfers are bit more data intensive, for a faction change especially since you are converting an entire character from one faction to another, quests, achievements, etc. . . .

They are an option service but if you wish to provide feedback, Leemilton, I'd recommend posting in the forum best suited for the subject, the General Discussion forum in this case, or submit your suggestions through the in-game interface.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It worked! Thank you Vrak for your responses :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]