Are Shamans *That* Badly Off?

83 Worgen Druid
03/25/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Kugkug
Absorbs need to be toned down. They are killing non-absorb healers.

on charts, to be specific

healing isn't really governed by charts but honestly the vast majority of wow players just look at heal charts to see how you are doing and to compare you to other healers

sad but true, you will be often judged by the charts in comparison to others. Absorbs currently dominate charts because they snipe all the heals. So regardless of non-absorb heals doing the same thing a fraction of a second later, the absorb gets all the credit on the chart.

As long as charts (ie raw healing numbers) are the only metric of healer performance we have, they are important.

It's like Blizzard saying to Death Knights: "Hey. Yeah, your dps is 50% lower than the rest of the raid. But do you care? Bosses still die, and you have all that cool utility!". That crap went away in BC...except for Shamans it seems.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Absorbs need to be toned down. They are killing non-absorb healers.

Even with 0 Absorbs, Shaman would be struggling horrifically this tier because they don't have a toolset that fits with the fights they're being given. The issue isn't absorbs, the issue is the Shaman toolkit.
Reply Quote
91 Pandaren Monk
It's funny because I absolutely love having an rsham in my raid group for heroic progression, because they are AMAZING at heroic fights. Extremely strong burst healing,
spirit link totem, and mana tide totem

So you don't look great on meters.

That's great.

Why's this a problem, exactly?

Meters are worthless. What's important is living through burst, having the longevity to heal the entire raid through high damage fights, and tank healing. You are very strong at the first one, the most powerful at the second one (because of MTT scaling with 6 healers), and an acceptable tank healer. As well, a large portion of your healing is smart, meaning it saves people.

Also, some people seem to have a distorted view of things. A strong MW will outshine every other healer on meters, including the so called kings "H paladin/disc priest"...I say this, because I'm in a relatively good guild, and in progression I'm on top by normally 10-30k every fight, and that's doing my best to tank heal/spot heal etc, which drastically lowers my potential HPS comparing to those top ranks on WoL who get to meter pad like #winners.

Then paladins or druids, then rshams, then disc if it comes to throughput on meters. On fights where disc gets to break mechanics by lining up spirit shell perfectly with the damage burst (HAHA IM LOOKING AT YOU !@#$%idon) they're probably the highest on meters.

Regardless, every class still has room (actually tbh I still think druids are really weak) to be worth their spot in a raid group. [Though holy paladins are some of the strongest, they lack burst tools comparable to MW/Rsham, who can routinely burst 3-500k HPS if played well]

If Rsham's are going to get changes so they can be better meter padders, then they're going to experience significant nerfs elsewhere. Beware what you ask for.

Sincerely,
Astråios
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's funny because I absolutely love having an rsham in my raid group for heroic progression, because they are AMAZING at heroic fights. Extremely strong burst healing,
spirit link totem, and mana tide totem

So you don't look great on meters.

That's great.

Why's this a problem, exactly?

Meters are worthless. What's important is living through burst, having the longevity to heal the entire raid through high damage fights, and tank healing. You are very strong at the first one, the most powerful at the second one (because of MTT scaling with 6 healers), and an acceptable tank healer. As well, a large portion of your healing is smart, meaning it saves people.

Also, some people seem to have a distorted view of things. A strong MW will outshine every other healer on meters, including the so called kings "H paladin/disc priest"...I say this, because I'm in a relatively good guild, and in progression I'm on top by normally 10-30k every fight, and that's doing my best to tank heal/spot heal etc, which drastically lowers my potential HPS comparing to those top ranks on WoL who get to meter pad like #winners.

Then paladins or druids, then rshams, then disc if it comes to throughput on meters. On fights where disc gets to break mechanics by lining up spirit shell perfectly with the damage burst (HAHA IM LOOKING AT YOU !@#$%idon) they're probably the highest on meters.

Regardless, every class still has room (actually tbh I still think druids are really weak) to be worth their spot in a raid group. [Though holy paladins are some of the strongest, they lack burst tools comparable to MW/Rsham, who can routinely burst 3-500k HPS if played well]

If Rsham's are going to get changes so they can be better meter padders, then they're going to experience significant nerfs elsewhere. Beware what you ask for.

Sincerely,
Astråios

Translation - you love having a Resto Shaman in your group because it buffs your throughput and allows you to pad meters more the more mana they give you. You do not want to see them buffed because you think they should settle for buffing you as opposed to actually being competitive players in their own right. Got it.

You also want to tax the living heck of Shaman output for the utility they bring, but seem willfully ignore the fact that other healing specs also bring strong utility, that in many cases is superior to Shaman utillity when you consider some of the shortcomings of Shaman even outside of pure throughput (lack of a tank CD, etc).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I don't play this shaman anymore. This was my favorite character, my main since mid vanilla. It just isn't fun anymore.

I decided to try something else after joining a friends guild to raid - as third healer (with disc and pally) in content where everyone needs to move/spread out, my representation on meters was below that of the tanks for healing, and I was constantly being told that I was terrible and having my friend tell me he "thought I was supposed to be a good healer".

I hated it. So I decided to forgo healing altogether, dusted off my prot paladin, and started being the tank. If Blizzard decides in the future to design raid content around the resto shaman abilities, then I will consider healing with this character again, but this expansion broke my love of the role.

So far, I love being a tank, probably won't come back to healing. ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]