"Tanks" and LFR

90 Blood Elf Paladin
How many of you have seen some absolutely ridiculous things when it comes to LFR tanks?

Often times I will inspect a tank and they will be in either pvp gear, dps gear (and I don't mean haste/mastery), or a combination of Agi, Int, and Str gear. I'd imagine a lot of these players are new to tanking and attempting to gear an offspec. I welcome anyone to check out how tanking fun can be. Cool.

But a lot of the time these players have bad attitudes, are unwilling to contribute a meaningful amount of effort to the success of the raid, and sometimes they are just plain counter productive. I.E. Chainpulling, threat pissing contest, taunt spam, ect. And thats just to name a few...

Well, inexperienced players are nothing new, and neither are irritating players... the thing that I really can't understand is; why they are assigned MT?

Similar experiences?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Every Guardian druid I come across in LFR uses the barkskin glyph. I just want to get a rolled up newspaper and swat them in the nose while shouting "bad!".
Edited by Dûchene on 3/25/2013 8:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
03/25/2013 06:33 AMPosted by Musåshi
why they are assigned MT?

This is judged by overall ilevel and gear. The better geared tank is usually assigned MT.
I haven't had any particularly bad tanks lately (then again I tank myself so 98% of the time I'm MT). I've just have some inexperienced people, usually they pipe up and ask me how encounters go and ask for help on things.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Honestly I don't notice to many bad tanks. Sure here and there you have that one, but in every LFR you have about 5 absolute garbage dps. That's low balling it, as it's usually like around 8-10.

You just tend to notice more when it's a tank that completely blows.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
When I tanked the new ToT on my warrior the co-tank was DK with a mix of PvP gear, DPS gear, and some tank gear.

They could tank trash, and the head being DPSd down. Ji-Kun crushed them. The first talon strike MAY have not been enough to kill them, but the second one always was.

I just wonder how they managed to kill Tortos with that tank. I got in on the trash right before the next boss.

Many LFR tanks are sketchy at best. If it's because of gear, it doesn't bother me because they usually are in prot gear with a prot spec doing their best. Although some people don't quite get it. The number of times I've had a co-tank improperly position Tsulong even after I told them what to do...

I'm not perfect, but I learn fast and get things done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Actually, I'm inclined to disagree. It seemed to work that way until 5.2 went live. Over the last several weeks I've been OT for tanks in blues that haven't attempted MsV on norm. 502 iLvL and a good amount of experience. Something is broken.

Otherwise, sounds like we are all kind of on t he same page. As far as garbage dps... don't get me started.

I managed to end up with a group that hit enrage on Lei Shi the other day....
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
You do realize that aside from the truly garbage dps we have, there are now mediocre dps who will throw the first pull or two so they can get the stacking 5% buff and make the kill easier, right?

I've encountered this on both of my tanks and know its happening because of conversations in /raid. Had 1 dk doing 28k dps saying he wasn't trying until the buff was 10% so we could faceroll it. Even after pointing out that he was wasting all of our time, we could do it in 1 shot w/out the buff and be moving on in less time he still argued for people to wipe it. He just wanted to see his dps meter be higher

Well, when we finally got him down we
a) hit the enrage timer and killed him after standing in the electrified water for a good 20 seconds (good healers)
b) that dk did a whopping 28.5k dps on that pull.

I haven't encountered bad tanks yet. I tank on both toons so I take up 50% of the slots. So far my other tanks have simply been new. The first time i ran it I was the new guy and luckily had a tank who knew what to do, gave me instructions and we blasted thru just fine.

Heals is the big issue. On one run we sat around waiting for 25mins for a healer on horridon. Ugh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I use pvp/dps gear as a stepping stone because it works for BrM :D

Though to be fair, it's a new tank and I go out of my way to let the other tank know that just in case he wants to main for me.

Also helps that I am still in the joke raids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
LFR doesn't hit much harder than 10 man and has 2-3 times the healers, and you can tank most of normal in dps gear since the nerfs.

Maybe it's just been luck (and the fact that I barely ever do lfr now), but yeah for the most part I'm assuming people have looked at my gear/exp and decided they should listen, because while I almost always get a new/undergeared co-tank, they're always the type that you just say "hollar if you've got any questions" and they do whatever you ask.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I never notice who gets assigned MT/OT. The majority of the time, I'm the better geared tank. It's rare that I get stuck in a group with one better geared, so I just take over.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Every Guardian druid I come across in LFR uses the barkskin glyph. I just want to get a rolled up newspaper and swat them in the nose while shouting "bad!".

Haha I've honestly never looked to see if people are using it so funny.

But in all honesty the reason why lfr tanks are bad is because good tanks that actually tank the raid don't tank lfr for fear of having 25+ stacks of triple puncture while the other tank picks his nose.

I guess my point is, I'm not a fan of dying due to someone's stupidity.
Edited by Felshifter on 3/27/2013 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is judged by overall ilevel and gear. The better geared tank is usually assigned MT.

The system will assign one tank as "main tank" and the other as "main assist". It should really assign both as "main tank", but anyhow the assignment is random and arbitrary. If you want to be the effective main tank just put a star over your head, everyone should go along with that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Ok not gonna lie, I lol'd hard at the image that popped into my head when I read this. Its an image of a guy doing that to a bear, and then said bear giving that same "im sry" face by dog gives me when I have to discipline him.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I've had about a dozen tanks who autoattack tortos and never pick up adds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Tortos - that reminds me I was tanking Tortos LFR bats on another character. However one of the dps was in tank spec and tank presence and picked them up instead. I said in chat that if he wanted to tank, thats ok, but he could please bring the bats to the boss? No, he ignored me and kept them at the other end of the cave.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
b) that dk did a whopping 28.5k dps on that pull.

They really need to remove the restriction on vote kick during combat.

Boss combat, maybe; but as soon as the group wipes, or if it's trash , open season.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Tortos - that reminds me I was tanking Tortos LFR bats on another character. However one of the dps was in tank spec and tank presence and picked them up instead. I said in chat that if he wanted to tank, thats ok, but he could please bring the bats to the boss? No, he ignored me and kept them at the other end of the cave.

That's funny. I had the opposite happen. I was tanking the bats and a Pally was tanking Tortos. When the bats died I switched to Tortos only to find I had agro on him also. Everyone in raid was asking WTF he was tanking. We had to kick him at Maegera because he would only tank the head I was tanking while a random druid healer would switch to bear and pick up the other head.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Funny you all mention Tortos.

Actually just encountered some real derp tanking tonight on Tortos. Monk and Paladin tank (I was on my alt fury warrior, Bravestrike). Fight starts, neither tank even went to the boss. So some shaman ended up "tanking" the boss for a while until my fury warrior ended up with it. Then the bats came and killed everyone.

So neither tank on the boss, and neither tank on the adds. We explain the fight, and the monk tank instead argues and throws out insults, etc. We try to vote kick the tanks a few times, never goes through. Of course two of the DPS are saying things like, "can we just stop whining about the tanks and do this already."

We wait around a good while, telling the tanks to go. Finally a tank runs up and gets the fight started, but still doesn't tank the boss. Now this time the Paladin actually tanked a bat. Yes, a bat. I'm sure he was proud.

Finally we were able to actually kick the tanks after that wipe. The tanks didn't seem to know each other, but still, it could have been some sort of elaborate trolling.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]