Forced to PvP

100 Night Elf Druid
DoJ
I want to express my total dissatisfaction with being FORCED to PvP to further a PvE quest chain. I could not believe it when I got to the point in the Wrathion quest chan where I was given "The Lion Roars" and saw that I had to PvP. I do not PvP, I absolutely hate to PvP. I am on a PvE server for a reason and do not PvP or have gear for it. Now I have to spend hours doing this one thing in WoW that I hate in order to continue this quest chain. This is just not right and no matter how much people might claim it is "optional" if you want to raid in Pandaria you need the benefits from Wrathion's quest and story line.

I know there are others that feel the same. I even know people that are totally dissatisfied with the whole quest chain and refusing to do the PvP portion of it. Yet if you want to continue and get the benefits from the chain for PvE raiding you have to do it.

I cannot imagine that the PvP people are any happier about it. Blizzard is forcing PvE people who do not like, want or have any experience PvPing to join up in a team with serious PvPers and cause them to what--lose because they cannot PvP? Get yelled at for not knowing what they are doing? Be called terrible because their gear and skill set are not PvP? Yet in order to continue on the storyline they need to put themselves into that situation over and over again hating what they are doing and not contributing what they should to the PvP battle.

This whole idea was terrible and ill-thought out. I have otherwise been very happy with the whole Pandaria expansion but this one thing ruins my experience for hours and feels like a huge waste of time since the reason I play WoW is to have fun not hate what I am doing.

The only thing near as bad is being forced to PvP for world event achieves. Even though achieves are totally optional, many people who focus on achievements are not PvPers. In fact many are not raiders. WoW is full of people who like to do other types of things with their time. There are instance and raid achievements for people who do that, PvP achieves for people who PvP, I do not see why the achieves that are suppose to be totally fun like the World Event ones should force people to have to do things they so dislike.

But I digress. I will concede that World Event achieves are actually optional but furthering your raiding quest line to gain raiding gear enhancements is not really optional for raiders.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
It's a Legendary questline. You have to go a bit outside of your comfort zone to pursue it. And despite your opinions, it's still optional. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you complete it.

And really, all you have to do is win a couple of battlegrounds. It's not THAT bad.
"In the name of Elune, I will punish you!"
Edited by Pahanda on 3/24/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
The Blues in CS are not developers, nor liaisons to them. Additionally the developers do not read this forum for feedback,complaint, or suggestions.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413134207#10

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415606749#2

While our Developers appreciate any feedback you may have regarding the game it is important that these posts be not only constructive but also in the correct location. Development and our Community Managers do not read the CS forum normally and we do not serve as liaisons with them.

If you would like your feedback seen by the appropriate parties, please post in the forum that is best associated with your subject. For example if you have feedback on a specific class, post within that classes forum. For feedback that does not fit within a specific forum the General Discussion forum is best.

Make certain that your feedback is constructive, if you do not like something make sure you have a "why",how do you think it should work? Make sure your post is easy to read and understand. Proper paragraphs and grammar help a great deal, keep your points clear and concise and try to avoid drifting into exaggerations.

While our Developers and Community Managers are not usually able to respond directly to such threads they are read and again, very much appreciated. Player feedback is always considered, even if it may not always be applied.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/suggestions-to-improve-the-game

Suggestions to Improve the Game

Blizzard is lucky to have fans who take the time to contribute new game ideas and suggestions for improving our products. While we value the feedback and perspective our players offer, we cannot accept suggestions via email or petition. Suggestions must follow one of two avenues:

Forums

Suggestions can be submitted to the development teams through our official forums. The forums provide a valuable opportunity for Blizzard staff members to collect feedback from those who know our games best. When you create a suggestion post on the forums, select the forum that most closely matches the subject of your feedback. While we cannot guarantee a response, we can assure you that the Forums are read regularly, and the suggestions posted there do make an impact on our game designs.

Note: A valid World of Warcraft account is needed to post on the World of Warcraft Forums.

In-Game

Suggestions can also be submitted in-game. The suggestions submitted in this manner will go directly to the development teams – customer support will not provide a response to your suggestion. To submit a suggestion in-game:

1. Click to open the Customer Support window

2. Click Submit Suggestion.

3. Enter your suggestion. Be sure to follow the guidelines on the submission form.

4. Click Submit.

Our development teams are hard at work to bring you new and exciting content. Similarly to the forums, we cannot guarantee a personal response to suggestions submitted using the in-game form. However, we can assure you that your suggestion will be read and considered.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I despise PVP for the most part, but even I don't have an issue with doing 2 battlegrounds for the legendary quest. The PVP quests for the violet proto drake meta achievement were FAR FAR FAR worse (the ones where you had to complete objectives with your orphan out). This is...sometime when you're bored, queue for 2 BG's. Done.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
DoJ
You do not just have to DO a couple of battlegrounds you have to WIN them. That can take hours. In fact it took me from mid-afternoon till almost 9 pm to win both of them. Meanwhile I loathed what I was doing to the point that Queuing again almost brought me to tears. However, I knew that if I stopped and took a break I would most likely never be able to bring myself to go back and finish. And this was on my blood DK with over 730k health. I do not think I am ever going to be able to bring myself to go through that again on my resto druid.

I do not pay for and play the game to do something that I hate. I do it to have fun. I can think of hundreds of ways I could have better spent those hours playing WoW and enjoying myself. If I was bored in the game I would go read a book or any of a myriad other things to do but I would NEVER Queue for a BG out of boredom. I also am not at all agreeable with being told, "well it is a legendary quest line so you have to spend hours of your valuable time doing something you hate."
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
You keep saying things like you "have to" do something or you're "forced to" do something.

You aren't - and you know full well that you aren't. Yes, in order to get the best possible gear, you may have to do things you don't like. But quite frankly, progression raiding isn't about doing things you like. Wiping over and over on a boss isn't fun - but it's what you do, if you want to participate in the cutting-edge content.

But that's your choice to do. It's always your choice. You could simply say that you don't want to, and give the Legendary stuff a pass. No one at Blizzard is forcing you to do anything.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." -- The Fourth Doctor (in "Robot")
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
Meanwhile I loathed what I was doing to the point that Queuing again almost brought me to tears

Perhaps a game where two factions are pitted against one-another in a massive multiplayer online role playing game isn't up your ally then.

Nobody is forcing you to complete that quest line. It's a game. You are choosing to play it and choosing how to play as well as what quests to complete.

03/24/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Pelargonia
I do not pay for and play the game to do something that I hate.

Then it's good you have the choice not to do the quest line at all. Woosh!

I also am not at all agreeable with being told, "well it is a legendary quest line so you have to spend hours of your valuable time doing something you hate."

You don't need to be agreeable to it. You can vote with your wallet if you so choose to. Or you can post constructively in the quests forum on how you would like to see a game based on mortal enemies (thus pvp) changed to suit your play-style.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
DoJ
I do not care how they make PvP in any way at all. PvP does not have to change to suit my playstyle as my playstyle does not involve PvP. They can do whatever they want to suit the PvP players in the PvP BGs, Arenas, whatever. I am not a PvP player and I purposely reside on a PvE server. I do PvE and I raid. I also find lots of other interesting things to do in WoW without ever having to worry about PvP and I like it that way just fine. It is a big game with a diverse population and people like all different aspects of the game from crafting to playing the AH, to raiding to achievements to battling pets. I do not, however, want to feel forced to do PvP for a PvE quest line. That is ridiculous. It has however, been pointed out that I should post my feelings elsewhere, which I have.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I do not pay for and play the game to do something that I hate

So don't.

It's a legendary quest.

It's not compulsory.

I wasn't thrilled by the PvP either, but I sucked it up and did it, over a period of about a week, because things weren't working out for me one night.

But I'd much rather have spent the time doing that, then having the requirement be to collect 10,000 Giant Dinosaur Bones... or trying to collect 30 drops from Ulduar... or trying to get the drops from Firelands.

In THIS legendary quest, it's all on you. Guilds aren't breaking up over who got chosen to get the drops. Guilds aren't running out of steam, when you're sitting on 23/30 pieces.

In THIS quest, it's a matter of whether or not YOU feel it's worth it to YOU to put in the time and effort required to progress the quest.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
03/24/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Pelargonia
I want to express my total dissatisfaction with being FORCED to PvP to further a PvE quest chain. I could not believe it when I got to the point in the Wrathion quest chan where I was given "The Lion Roars" and saw that I had to PvP. I do not PvP, I absolutely hate to PvP.
And yet you have a Feat of Strength Achievement for earning a PvP title.

Historically, obtaining a legendary is supposed to be difficult, it's supposed to take time, effort and dedication. Having to step outside your comfort zone and PvP for what can be as little as 30 minutes is the only real 'effort' involved in acquiring a legendary in this expansion. As a PvE player most of the other requirements are met passively while playing PvE content. Easier even still, they made it possible to complete objectives in LFR (unlike the staff & daggers in Cata). Imagine what it must be like for a PvPer, they "need" the rewards just as much as any raider and are forced to spend a significant amount of time in PvE content. For that reason alone I don't think they harbor much resentment toward folks in their PvE gear turning up in 'their' battlegrounds.

I'm be honest, having been "forced" to grind Firelands for months after it was stale, to get my staff in Cata my initial reaction to you post is to tell you to suck it up, but I know that isn't constructive.

I will say that if your reaction to having to spend a small amount of time doing some PvP is so visceral as to drive you to tears, then perhaps you need to make a choice. Don't do it and find a raid group that is understanding of your aversion to PvP or accept that PvP is a minuscule part of the quest chain and get it over with.
I can also tell you that doing the battlegrounds on your druid, if you go in resto will probably be a lot less frustrating in terms of survival. You DK was a target with your high health pool and PvE gear, a healer on the other hand is an asset to be protected.

The bottom line is that Blizzard isn't going to rewrite the quest chain to eliminate the very small amount of PvP it requires, at least in this expansion.
And I sincerely hope they never eliminate the PvP components from the holiday meta, it's optional content that is a lot of fun. It's just that if you want the mount you have to do some PvP.
Reply Quote
43 Pandaren Monk
Lots of us hated having to do certain pvp things to get all the holiday achievements for the meta. I felt the same way. I am on a PVE realm for a reason. But if I wanted the meta and the rewards that went with it, I had to suck it up and do it. So I did it, and I never once complained about it.

You have 38 PvP achievements and a PvP feat of strength. You are not forced to do anything. You have chose to do a questline that is suppose to be somewhat difficult and challenging. To say you are forced a severe miss use of terms.
Edited by Tinkrashi on 3/25/2013 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
The main purpose of the legendary quest line, I believe, is to provide a guided tour through the content of Mists of Pandaria as an expansion. Once you've completed the entire chain (which isn't all out yet), you will have done pretty much everything there is to do in this expansion. I think this was a good thing for Blizzard to do, and I think it's good for the chain to require some things that some people otherwise wouldn't want to do. Those 2 battlegrounds are the new ones that were released for this expansion, so it's not that unreasonable to expect someone who wants the pinnacle of rewards from the expansion to have won them each at least once.

Like it or not, PvP is part of the game. That is why it is part of that quest.

When you do it on your druid, I recommend picking up some of the crafted PvP gear. A little resilience goes a long way. Then, just focus on healing. Yes, this will result in players on the other team focusing you, but a few well placed heals can make the difference between victory and defeat.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Mage
In order to get extra ordinary rewards, people are asked to perform extra ordinary actions. I too have negative reactions when I PvP, and getting the Violet Protodrake on my main nearly killed my personal relationships from my stream of cursing and lashing out at my stress balls. I hate PvP with the white-hot intensity of a thousand burning suns.

That being said, I support the PvP requirements of special, hard to obtain items.

What I don't support is the elitist, dismissive attitudes of other posters with the sheep-like bleating of "no one is forcing you to do it."

Blizzard has forced and will force you to do LOTS of things if you want items in the game. The reputation gates forced you to grind dailies, which they corrected by allowing you to get bonus reputation with factions in random dungeons and scenarios. They force you to get flagged for PvP in other quest chains as well, but many if not all were changed to warn you about getting flagged now.

Yes, no one has a gun to anyone's head "forcing" them to play WoW. But unless people take time to complain about what they don't like about the game (or anything else in general), then it will never change. Blizzard won't know what to change if people fail to care and just up and quit, which what most of the advice has been hinting at. People who care complain, and companies that listen to complaints are better for it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I agree with you. I have so many things in game I could finish in if not for the push to pvp. I did stop at the "Lion's Roars" also. Tried a few times to finish but felt bad because I let the team down in the BG...I suck at it big time.

So yeah I did all they asked until that. What a big disappointment. : (
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
You keep saying things like you "have to" do something or you're "forced to" do something.

You aren't - and you know full well that you aren't. Yes, in order to get the best possible gear, you may have to do things you don't like. But quite frankly, progression raiding isn't about doing things you like. Wiping over and over on a boss isn't fun - but it's what you do, if you want to participate in the cutting-edge content.

But that's your choice to do. It's always your choice. You could simply say that you don't want to, and give the Legendary stuff a pass. No one at Blizzard is forcing you to do anything.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." -- The Fourth Doctor (in "Robot")

I think her point is it's a quest, for an item only useable in a weapon you get from raiding, but she has to PvP in order to get it. It's like telling pvp'rs they need to kill raid bosses to get their pvp weapons after reaching a certain rating.

Sure she's doesn't NEED to do it, just like someone running arena doesn't NEED to have that pvp weapon.

Pve items should require pve to get them.
Edited by Triggey on 4/9/2013 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
It's a Legendary questline. You have to go a bit outside of your comfort zone to pursue it. And despite your opinions, it's still optional. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you complete it.

And really, all you have to do is win a couple of battlegrounds. It's not THAT bad.
"In the name of Elune, I will punish you!"

Saying "It's not THAT bad" is completely relative. There are people out there (hi, I'm one) who completely hate pvp. It's just a fact. It's massively frustrating when you end up locked down for 15 seconds and suddenly you're dead and there's nothing you can do about it. That's not fun.

People play this game to have fun, and most of them get some degree of fun out of improving their characters' gear and performance, meaning they'd really like to have a legendary. But in order to do that, you're telling me its ok to put a roadblock squarely in front of me that I can only pass by doing something I won't have any fun doing? Explain that logic to me.

Technically, you're right. No one is forced to get the legendary items. It's not mandatory for raiding or getting boss kills. But here's something for you to think about. Let's say you have a job that you like, you get paid well and you enjoy what you're doing. Say for example that job is designing video games.

Now, your boss offers you a promotion. It's a promotion you really want, but no one's "forcing" you to take it. However, there's a catch. To get the promotion, you have to spend a month working as a truck driver (no offense intended to truckers, just using a completely unrelated profession for example's sake). You have no experience or desire to drive trucks, but you really want that promotion. How is it in any way logical for your boss to ask you to do something for this promotion that has absolutely nothing to do with your job? You'd probably think your boss was crazy or there was some joke being played on you. In the end, you probably do it. It's only a month after all, and the payoff is huge. But I can bet you aren't happy about it.

That's exactly what the pvp quest is doing. People who play the game purely for PvE content are being offered a PvE item, and the only catch is they have to do something they may not like, want to do, and may even hate, that has nothing to do with the game they want to play. Hell, why do you think we have PvE servers?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
It hurts my alliance pride that 99.9% of the people complaining about this are alliance. =(
Reply Quote
The real problem here is rooted in the fact that Blizzard has let the random BG scene devolve into unsavoury mess. If premades were given access to RBGs and eliminated from the random free-for-all queue AND after one application of CC an immunity to CC buff was applied I think more people would enjoy them selves and doing this quest wouldn't be a problem.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Now.. Granted.. I wasn't too happy about this quest either. I despise PvP on my shaman. Hate it. I'm just no good generally. But.. Really? Seriously?! Come on guys. Do you have ZERO pvp friends? No guildies who PvP at all who can help you out real fast? You get five coordinated people in there you will (generally) blow everything up. Or heck, download the addon Oqueue and look for People in a similar situation to you. I posted once a day for maybe two weeks on my Warrior, (My constant PvP toon) offering help to anyone on this quest, and would run with them till we won both. With complete strangers.. And you're telling me you can't find any helpful friends? I mean... Suck it up. You have to spend a "few" hours PvPing on a questline that has literally taken the ENTIRE expansion? Calm down please.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]