Top 10 things I hate as a tank in PUG’s

93 Human Paladin
10. Warlocks that have threatening presence on. This is low because it can be somewhat cryptic to turn off.

9. Hunters that have growl on.

8. DPS that target an add that I do not have in striking distance. (Trust me, I am taunting it. Just leave it alone. If it targets the healer I will re-taunt)

7. Frost mages using frost nova/pet to freeze adds in place before I am done gathering. This includes hunter pets such a spiders that web adds.

6. Any knockback ability. This is fine for solo’ing not for a pug.

5. PvP gear. This used to bother me much more (pre 5.x), but I have seen many perform well with it. It still bothers me because it so much easier to get than PvE gear (Maybe it’s just me).

4. Any mention that I should pull the whole room. I will pull what I think I can handle. You don’t know me and I don’t know the healer. Let’s just be successful.

3. DPS that change my kill order. I mark things for a reason.

2. Any DPS or healer that pulls for me.

1. DPS that clearly have, after the first pull que’d as a healer just for the quick que.
Reply Quote
41 Human Paladin
There are not too many things I hate. I really have only few that get on my nerves.

3. DPS targeting random mobs after I pull instead of the one I am on.

2. DPS running off and pulling mobs and then running back to the healer.

1. Anyone pulling for me.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
10. Warlocks that have threatening presence on. This is low because it can be somewhat cryptic to turn off.

Or opening up with a Havoc'd Chaos Bolt. Not that I've ever done that on my new almost 87 warlock. More than once? The tank was a good sport and taunted. :)

I just waited for 5 sunders ... er ... counted to 5 before unloading after that only because I know how annoying that is.

6. Any knockback ability. This is fine for solo’ing not for a pug.

The good use of a knock back can be very nice. If the person has decent aim they can push wayward mobs or casters right to the tank. I've both been the recipient of this as well as the knocker backer.

Done right it's handy. Done wrong it's hair pulling.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
1) GOGOGOGO
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
The good use of a knock back can be very nice. If the person has decent aim they can push wayward mobs or casters right to the tank. I've both been the recipient of this as well as the knocker backer.

I agree that there are good uses, but it’s seldom used.

One thing I as a tank hate is split casters especially when your interrupt(s) is on cool down. A good DK DPS will stand next to the tank and death grip the distant caster, but alas I have only seen this done maybe 3 times.
Edited by Alkaia on 3/26/2013 8:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Most people who help interrupt are tank alts :P

I do it on my alts all the time because as a druid, It's a PIA to pick those pricks up.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm pretty easy going when it comes to a run because after years of seeing the dumbest things people can throw at me I've slowly learned to handle just about anything. However, that doesn't mean there aren't still a few things that are annoying.

Specifically, 6 and 7. I can deal with a hunter pet or frost mage rooting a mob. Its annoying but I can always just tank everything else on top of the rooted one. However, rooting *multiple* mobs in different places gets my goat, especially if one or more of them are rooted next to someone. Because I just know in my heart that the person isn't going to move, and not only that, if they don't dps hard enough to kill things quickly, they'll pick *that* one to dps, while if they *could* kill that one, they'll instead pick a different one. I usually end up BoPing them and try to focus down the rooted one.

Knockbacks suck as well. Getting all those casters neatly together in a pile doesn't happen by itself. Scattering them all apart again is like intentionally knocking over my carefully built house of cards. Occasionally a knockback is used intelligently, and while I've seen it happen, its still rare enough to be one of the few things in a PuG group that will surprise me.
Edited by Wrathblood on 3/26/2013 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I'm pretty easy. Only one thing really annoys me.

1) People
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I think the only thing that makes me want to personally go to the guy and murder him with my bare hands is when you set up some aoe, everything is fine, people are happily aoeing .. everything is within range ...

.. then that idiot .... that mf shaman or druid knockback everything ..

It's the really thing that makes me go from "tralalala I'm happily tanking the instance" to literally take a deep breath and count to 5.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I hate low dps
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sometimes I enjoy a really bad pug... It gives me something to do for a change. But I will add something to the list that happened to me recently. I did a ready check at the start of a run, everyone was ready so I "gogogogo" and I guess meanwhile the healer decided he needed to change specs. I didn't realize until I had already pulled the boss that he was cursing me up and down in party chat and calling me all sorts of things. Anyways I told him next time don't click ready if you need to change specs. I think he was just mad because I had no problem mitigating and healing myself and he realized he wasn't really needed anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
Pet's in dungeon pugs used to bother me but now they don't. It doesn't matter if they have aggro on a boss, they're taking hits instead of me and alleviate the healer and they'll die. If something is going to happen to the rest of the group because of positioning i'll just taunt and pop all my dps cooldowns and position the boss correctly.

People pulling on purpose doesn't bother me anymore, I just let them die then pick up the adds afterwards. If they walked to close to a mob that's another matter and it was by accident, accidents or ignorance of an instance always happens and that's easily forgivable.

Anyone who says gogogogo, can sit there and wait or pull and die.

My empathy toward another player's character dying is non-existence if they are being toxic and jerky. If someone legitimately says, i've never been here or not sure what to do i'll do my best to help them out.
Edited by Bananimal on 3/26/2013 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
I hate low dps

This really doesn’t bother me too much. I suppose as long as their DPS is higher than mine I am happy. I mean common I am a paladin. My DPS is less than stellar. Also I selected a PUG, which means there is going to be a mix of geared and un-geared players. Some just want the VP and out of there (me) and some actually have quests or are hoping for gear drops.

Low dps obviously slows the instance down, and I can see how it would also affect the healer’s mana pool with a low geared tank, but I normally just continue even if annoyed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Ninja AFKers... I hate more than anything seeing people just on follow, not doing anything at all. Its at this point that I pause and say I will not carry people who do not even try or won't participate. I don't mind working with people who are not very good, or are fresh 90's and have no gear or don't know what they're doing, but the people who refuse to even try, I'm not here to do the dungeon for them.

On a similar note, bad multiboxers.. Hey, if you want to multibox, and can handle it, fine, go for it, but when I see the people trying to do it, and it's really obvious that they don't know what they're doing that just gets under my skin. you can watch as your hunter and shadow priest never move at the same time. You pull the boss and the priest runs in, fires off a few spells then just stops while the hunter comes into the room, shoots a few times, then just auto attacks the rest of the fight as the priest starts casting again. this nonsense slows the group down so much, as A. they're only DPSing with one character at a time and b. you have to constantly wait while they catch one guy up then the other. It's infuriating.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
This isn't the first time such a thread has been made.

Nor the 20th.
Reply Quote
9. Hunters that have growl on.

I used to hate this ..... But then .... I was tanking Flameweaver Koegler and he Pyroblasted someone's turtle pet.

I giggled.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Most people who help interrupt are tank alts :P

Yup. I'm that rogue who tricks->garrote, kicks on CD, arcane torrent, stun if all else fails. Heck, when's the last time you saw someone disarm a tough melee boss for you? >_>;

My main issues are 9 and 2. I don't mind much if the hunter just forgot (I ask them to turn it off), but when they never turn it off it gets annoying real fast.. Same thing with lock voidwalkers, though, even just in groups on isle of thunder.

The issue with dps pulling is they're usually unaware of why the tank isn't pulling yet. Heals might be outta mana, maybe someone said "afk 1 sec phone" before a boss pull, maybe someone's dead and needs a rez or is just way far behind the group, etc. Tanks pull because we're almost always the only ones who know what's going on everywhere, mostly because it's our job, if we're doing it right.

I don't usually mind if someone re-does my markings; usually I mark for the pull to be easier, so I just assume another marking is from a strong healer wanting less cc or a dps knowing they can burn something down fast enough.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The thing that ticks me off the most in random heroics is the guy who's dicking around in the previous room looting stuff while I've got the entire next room of trash pulled and ready to aggro the boss, but I have to wait because of the stupid gate would lock the straggler out.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
1) GOGOGOGO

I have actually learned to ignore this. I don't consider myself a slow tank, but I won't pull unless the healer is ready. Sure most heroics I can self heal through trash and even some bosses, but I won't have anything to spare for the rest of the team.
Reply Quote
21 Night Elf Druid
I've only tanked two things so far on Mistfang. On the first one, I had the paladin with RF on who wouldn't turn it off (I asked nicely, twice). On the second, the obligatory hunter with pet growl enabled.

It's not boding well for the future of this bear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]