Top 10 things I hate as a tank in PUG’s

90 Pandaren Monk
Seven infuriates me. Case in point, Tortos LFR today. I was on bat duty. I was pulling them to the front so melee cleaves and whatever can help.

And every wave in our first attempt, someone froze them and they turned and whacked whoever was standing next to them. EVERY WAVE, someone died and /ra was full of cries about how I need to tank better and how I suck. We eventually wiped because so many healers got one-shot by bats that they just couldn't keep up.

Surprisingly, I didn't get kicked and begged the mages not to freeze. Only two freezes that time, nobody died to bats. LOOKIT THAT HOW AMAZING
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I mark things for a reason.

Wait... you mark things ?

GOGOGO.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
1. DPS that clearly have, after the first pull que’d as a healer just for the quick que.

2-10 I agree with. At this point, I don't mind healer que'd people going dps. I do it on my resto shaman - que as heals, provide heals, but do so in ele spec. Things just die so fast. Of course if the tank is new or undergeared I stay resto. But I really don't mind a healer as dps as long as they can handle the healing. If they contribute 50k more dps, then great!
Edited by Khahan on 3/27/2013 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Most of you don't realize this but tanking pugs is a form of pvp. You are actually fighting your own party, not the mobs. In fact the mobs are more cooperative than your teammates.

So the best way to tank pugs is to treat your dps as the enemy. Stay one step ahead of them by pulling the next group before the last pull dies. If a hunter pet growls, let it die. Don't even mark mobs; instead, mark your healer and best dps so you know which ones to save and sacrifice the rest when things go south.

Once you come to terms with this perspective, those annoyances on the OP's list will bother you less. Always remember who the real enemy is when you tank pugs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think the thing that gets to me the most is some form of "let's make this a quick run!" I'm pretty sure any tank worth his salt instantly /vomits at this.

It used to be things like people pulling for me, pet taunts, etc. Then I learned how to deal with it (you have to not care about dying a few times, because you will). If someone pulls for me, I move on as if that mob or pack didn't even exist. Then I leave it to the healers, do they stay behind and try to heal the dps, or do they come with me? Most of the time the healer comes with me, the dps dies, the mobs run after the healer and I intercept them and tank them. If the healer decides to stick with the dps and I die, well then they have 2 packs to deal with and no tank.

For pets taunting, I quite simply let the pet have that mob and focus on everything else. If the pet can handle it, great! If not, it'll die and I'll pick the mob up when it does.

Now as a dps, I've been known to grab a mob off to the side and burn it down. I realize this is counter-intuitive, but when I do this, I do it with the expectation that I will be tanking it from 100 to 0 and I will have no heals whatsoever, and if things go south, I acknowledge that the blame is mine and mine alone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm one of those weird guys who doesn't mind a quirky pug; I like a challenge and to push my limits. If I get a healer who isn't healing, great. I get to exercise my Pally Power.

However, if the person is intentionally trying to make the run horrible for the group, I will get mad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10 things i hate during anything including tanking although i just started a tank today. not in any order.

3. tanks running with adds WITH their backs turned towards the adds ( this causes the mobs to crit more often on tanks not sure if it's 100% crit every hit but it will crit more often thus causing you to take more damage )

Unless something has changed and I don't know about it tanks are uncrittable and undazeable, period. Blocking and parry is not possible from behind causing a sudden damage spike. Pre-MoP this was one of the top reasons for spontaneous tank death, in my experience. In MoP I barely notice the extra damage a tank is taking from behind.

03/27/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Taunque
Don't even mark mobs; instead, mark your healer and best dps so you know which ones to save and sacrifice the rest when things go south.

I've done this a few times in a really bad pugs. Skull on myself, X on the healer and whatever on the dps.
PUG: "What are you doing?"
ME: "Kill order for the mobs."
PUG: "We aren't the mobs, stupid."
One guy actually got it and thought it was the funniest thing. Too bad he wasn't the healer or that heroic Grim Batol would have been almost pleasant.
Edited by Credopals on 3/27/2013 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Just 1 thing. DPS pulling, then getting mad that I don't have agro, and saying that I pulled too big.

Errr, no. You pulled something that did not need pulled then yelled about it. Go Away and let me do my thing.

And i want to GOGOGO, but they keep on pulling crap that does not need pulled and I have to go back and play catch.

Why do they do this?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I only have one.

DPS doing less than 20k and making the dungeon take forever.

Seriously this is not wrath you can do well over 20k with a 15% damage buff in the green 408 gear you can buy from vendors in the last zones.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I've noticed coming back to tanking this expansion that the things that bother me are really just being stunned. I know when I'm not able to do what needs to be done, those dps are going to kill themselves intentionally. Then the arguing and the !@#$%ing and moaning and the blah blah blah will ensue and honestly idgaf. I'm stunned, it's lame as ^-*!.
Reply Quote
What bothers me most is DPS pulling for me, and ONLY because they know I'm capable of handling the extra mobs. The thing is, when I run dungeons, I grab a pack, establish aggro and my AM abilities, and make sure that before I move on to the next group that everything is good to go. I don't always finish off the group before moving on (thank god for roll) but just because I may chain groups doesn't mean that I want a dps pulling for me. I just fail to see how clearing LFD dungeons in 10-15 minutes isn't already quick enough.

To be blunt, I tank because I want control of a dungeon, call me a control freak or whatever, but that's why I love tanking above all else.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I don't get why so many tanks get angry over dps. Myself, I don't even notice it when I tank. Heroics are full of people of varying skill levels, experience levels, gear levels, etc. Heroics are for gearing up so half the time people just have no gear, or experience. Also, many classes may seem to do a lot worse then others at certain gear levels, etc. Or maybe heroic bosses just don't last long enough for a certain classes dps to ramp up.
Reply Quote
1) GOGOGOGO

I run one pug daily for the bonus rep and only with a guild or friend healer. Anytime we get any of this or something similar, we RP walk the rest of the instance... Or at least til the impatient one gets fed up and leaves.

Only thing that really bothers me is dps pulling things that don't need to be pulled. Half the courtyard in SM or half the mobs in SPM... I doesn't need to be killed... Quit it
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/29/2013 06:49 AMPosted by Sokane
1) GOGOGOGO

I run one pug daily for the bonus rep and only with a guild or friend healer. Anytime we get any of this or something similar, we RP walk the rest of the instance... Or at least til the impatient one gets fed up and leaves.

Only thing that really bothers me is dps pulling things that don't need to be pulled. Half the courtyard in SM or half the mobs in SPM... I doesn't need to be killed... Quit it

Yeah, I've had this happen so much that now, I just literally grab all 3 packs of mobs on the way to the first boss in Scarlet Monestary. I don't care if 3 Flamethrowers are hitting me, my vengeance gets to the point where a Shield of the Righteous hits for close to 800k, and I'm sitting on a sustained 300k after the boss dies. Then I just continue on as everyone rages about the corpse piles being up.

I just don't even bother, and continue running. Yay for Speed of Light.

The only time I feel bad is if a healer whispers me and says "please, this is my first time."

But that only gets me to stop half the time.

I'm so tired of telling DPS to hit "V" and show enemy name plates, or telling them to stop pulling extra, that at this point, I make DPS not want to pull extra. Like the adds before the Sha of Hatred. The guys that blow up? I grab ALL of them and let melee die, and then throw out a Mass Resurrection.

Just doing my part to educate the peasants.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
1-Dps that pull for me.. Just stop, the idiots that do this arn't even out dps'n me. So why the hell are you trying to take my job.

2-Low dps. Give me all the sorry excuses you want if you're not breaking 45k+ in heroics, you're just lazy/stupid. These are usually the same idiots that scream gogogogo.. Want a fast run learn to play your damn class.

Really those are the only two things that really strike a nerve when I'm tanking. Usually because they go hand in hand. Hell it's pretty much why I only tank heroics now and again. I just got fed up with the crap. At least now when I go in as dps I know we're gonna go pretty quick pace unless I end up with a brain dead tank and healer (very very very rare specially compared to brain dead dps).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
1. GO

2. Bodypulls

3. Either of the above that believe that i CAN, SHOULD or WOULD Taunt every global so they can continue to be irresponsible. a) That's simply not possible and b) enjoy your repair bill.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/27/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Saepio
Now as a dps, I've been known to grab a mob off to the side and burn it down.

The one thing that annoys me on my dps alts (particularly melee) is when the tank ignores a caster and just lets it stand 20 yards away casting on them. If I'm going to interrupt it, I need to be next to it, and if I'm next to it, I'm not going to be able to dps anything else, so I end up hitting it too and then pulling hate.

Haven't figured out yet what to do about it, other than just ignore those mobs I guess. Or maybe CC them, class permitting?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
1) GOGOGOGO

I don't mind if this is said at the begining because then i just start running, but.. i pull machine gun fast, so it's not really a case of "go faster" because i pull as fast as i know i can handle without heals.. which is a lot

I personally hate when doing scarlet uhhh Cath? (i forget what they names of them are but it's the one with the graveyard at the begining).

I only pull one pack and then the ghosts and boss at the end

SOMEHOW i donno if i get extra fat characters or something but i've seen people manage to pull like half the other crap, ON the other side of the room like, if you're running down the left side of the instance, how the heck are you pulling stuff on th e extreme right -_-..
Edited by Barfus on 3/30/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
03/30/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Barfus
1) GOGOGOGO

I don't mind if this is said at the begining because then i just start running, but.. i pull machine gun fast, so it's not really a case of "go faster" because i pull as fast as i know i can handle without heals.. which is a lot

I personally hate when doing scarlet uhhh Cath? (i forget what they names of them are but it's the one with the graveyard at the begining).

I only pull one pack and then the ghosts and boss at the end

SOMEHOW i donno if i get extra fat characters or something but i've seen people manage to pull like half the other crap, ON the other side of the room like, if you're running down the left side of the instance, how the heck are you pulling stuff on th e extreme right -_-..

As somebody who does the same thing (I imagine we all do) I honestly can't give you an answer besides "Perhaps that hunter said something awful about that Scarlet Crusader's mother under his breath and he got heard...?"

I honestly don't get it either but...whatever, that's what Heroic Leap can be used for, I guess.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]