Preparing for Cataclysm Normals

100 Tauren Shaman
I've only run Cata normals as a DPS, and I don't remember most of the mechanics. What with this toon being about 10-11 levels away from Cata content, I figured it's time to start worrying about it.

Would the questing gear from Mt. Hyjal or Vashj'ir be sufficent to heal Cata normals?

Are there any mechanics that will instantly kill the tank if I don't keep him or her at 100% health?

What are some good rule-of-thumbs for mana management? My mana regen has been insane since level 1, so I never had to worry about managing mana at all.

Do any fights require the group to spread out?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I geared for the cata stretch using the gear from Hyjal and Vashj'ir and was more than fine.

The biggest difference was things... actually started to hurt at this point. I finally had to really heal, and it was a big shock. Honestly, it was the first time I wasn't able to heal through stupid. Which will come as a shock. What was just a small mistake before actually can cause a wipe.

But that being said, the best way to learn is to do. Nothing will one shot your tanks except not following the mechanics. A good example is a tank not turning something away from the raid or one of the dungeons you have to get within the triangle to avoid being electrocuted (which will wipe a group if they don't get in).

Mechanics will wipe groups, not you.
Reply Quote
The normal modes are still pretty easy going, especially if you have a tank that knows what he's doing. For the most part I could get through all the dungeons just by fistweaving without a problem. You'll have to do a little more healing, but the jump isn't all that much. The big jump comes from cata normals to cata heroics, but I'm guessing you won't be doing much cata heroics.

Was funny the other day I accidentally queued for an end time heroic instead of panda normal, was a nice reminder on how much easier panda dungs/heroics are now than what cata was haha. Kinda miss actually having to heal in a dungeon though.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
03/26/2013 04:56 AMPosted by Naérdriel
The biggest difference was things... actually started to hurt at this point. I finally had to really heal, and it was a big shock. Honestly, it was the first time I wasn't able to heal through stupid.

I hadn't even thought about how much harder bosses and trash would hit. My friend (a Monk tank) and I have been two-manning whichever dungeons are level appropriate, and he rarely requires more than a Riptide to keep him up, unless he pulls half the instance. Thanks for the warning. :)

03/26/2013 04:56 AMPosted by Naérdriel
Nothing will one shot your tanks except not following the mechanics.

I remember the fights being fairly straightforward, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to through DBM back in (and maybe watch a few videos of the dungeons, to refresh my memory).

03/26/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Monghe
The big jump comes from cata normals to cata heroics, but I'm guessing you won't be doing much cata heroics.

Probably not. I'll be running dungeons until 80, head through Vashj'ir for 80-82, Cata dungeons until 85, Jade Forest until 86, then questing/dungeons to the level cap. I may try to hit Hour of Twilight when this toon becomes eligible for them - I always wanted to know how the healers handled Murozond, Echo of Baine, Echo of Jaina, Mannoroth.

Was funny the other day I accidentally queued for an end time heroic instead of panda normal, was a nice reminder on how much easier panda dungs/heroics are now than what cata was haha. Kinda miss actually having to heal in a dungeon though.

I noticed Blizzard tends to alternate between easy dungeons and hard dungeon with every expansion... Since Cataclysm was a bit brutal (especially at the beginning, from what I've heard), and MoP has been easy, maybe the next expansion will make you heal again. :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Murozond, Echo of Baine, Echo of Jaina, Mannoroth

Murozond: Hope the tank knows enough to turn him side on and uses cooldowns when the breath goes out. Get ready to run to the hourglass when the dps assigned to it "forgets"

Baine: Watch the range dps next to you ignore the totem and pick it up yourself to throw at Baine. Hope the tank knows not to stand him in the lava.

Jaina: Run through all the explody things cos no-one else will and at least you can heal yourself up. Anyone who stands in the ice knives more than once can be allowed to die.

Mannoroth: Hope the dps know that standing in rain of fire is bad. Hope the tank is attentive enough to peel adds off you. Get ready to hit fade/bubble/whateveraggrodump on cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
^ pretty straightforward

the only fight that i had issues with was echo of Elune, but that was just me being bad and getting run over by the circling orbs of doom, the solution I've since been informed about is to stand on the tank, once I'm geared enough on this character I'm gonna try again
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]