You Rolled a Hunter, Now What?

90 Night Elf Hunter
Point, gota disengage than cast, can have issues starting it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
A nice trick I know is on encounters with knock off platform mechanics, if you are quick, you can turn so your back is to the platform, disengage, and land on the platform (i actually survived the lich kings traps that way a few times on heroic icc achieve runs, along with valkaries when dps was low)
Disengage also resets your falling distence, if skilled (and lag free) a hunter can survive ragnaroses traps that way.
Edited by Eurugan on 3/26/2013 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
A nice trick I know is on encounters with knock off platform mechanics, if you are quick, you can turn so your back is to the platform, disengage, and land on the platform (i actually survived the lich kings traps that way a few times on heroic icc achieve runs, along with valkaries when dps was low)
Disengage also resets your falling distence, if skilled (and lag free) a hunter can survive ragnaroses traps that way.
I might want to try to avoid something that advanced in the first few posts, just follow the KISS method for new players. Qualk has some tips in his thread and I might just leave it as it is and focus on things like when to do it, hitting strafe as soon as you land making sure that you don't go off the cliff with it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Deterrence blocks some raid mechanics (earth quake, arcane velocity) entirely, as for others, the glyph lets it reduce dmg by 50%, making it a good raid tool in certain situations.

for Epicenter, since it gives you a debuff reducing hit by 99%, i just pop deterrence during it because i wouldn't be doing dmg anyway, as for arcane velocity, if i get resonance i Pop it as I'm outside aoe healing and the healers could use the help.

Haven't encountered a boss where mirrored blades help.

man, now I'm thinking about end game tricks instead of leveling, give me a moment, I leveled my hunter during late bc and early wrath (got to 80 in wrath, hunter and druid were first 80s, druid lost main status before lfg que system became automated and i used dungeon currency on pvp gear and was kicked before pulls trying to replace the gear in any dungeon, hunters been my main ever since, btw the gearing mistake was because I listened to trade chat, was still a new player back then) now its just finding practical uses for abilities for me to help you out, or advice I've given leveling alts.
Edited by Eurugan on 3/26/2013 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Deterrence is good. Mirrored Blades is a PvP thing more than PvE so leveling in BGs it might be good. I'll add Deterrence and kick myself for forgetting it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Masters call?
How to check if beast is tamable? beast lore
Drop threat, Feign death

These are all just random ideas haven't checked for those yet.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Masters call?
How to check if beast is tamable? beast lore
Drop threat, Feign death

These are all just random ideas haven't checked for those yet.
Yeah those too. I was think about them while AFK and forgot about them as soon as I sat down.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Flare, leave track hidden turned on, it increases stealth detection

Rares, if your tracking the enemy type they are, they show up before any trash adds around them (really useful when farming for certain panda rare drops like the gathering gloves from korros torros) And good for finding rare spawn pets.

Camo explanation (i know its up in cata lv range, but explaining how it works, like unglyphed acting as npc stealth that doesn't trigger stealth sensitive adds provided you keep moving)

Also, i got this nickname for wyvern sting, I call it sleep shot
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
I'm gonna leave Camo out because it's a pretty high level ability. As soon as tracking happens, which I'll add, I say leave all of them on. I am mixed about recommending addons since Mezasu has a pretty good list in her thread which I recommend one reads right at the start. Wyvern Sting is one of those abilities I plan on adding in the tips and tricks section. Flare... argh... I am mixed about this one as it's been overnerfed. I'll add it though. I will have to do more shuffling in those original posts.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I say turn on only what tracking you need, and turn everything but hidden off in cities, humanoid tracking starts lagging anyone with an older computer in sw or org
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
I say turn on only what tracking you need, and turn everything but hidden off in cities, humanoid tracking starts lagging anyone with an older computer in sw or org
I have a 5-6 year old computer, no problems with tracking. I say leave it on because I become absent minded and while leveling it's best to avoid cities anyways as there are few quests and almost nothing to kill for experience. Really all one needs to go to town anymore it to train professions, use the AH and get mounts and mount training.
Reply Quote
This is the good stuff I've been looking for!! One quick question though. If your out questing, and you find a piece of gear that has stamina and intelligence on it but its more armor than what your wearing, do you equip it or sell it because it has that on it or...?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
This is the good stuff I've been looking for!! One quick question though. If your out questing, and you find a piece of gear that has stamina and intelligence on it but its more armor than what your wearing, do you equip it or sell it because it has that on it or...?

Armor means nothing, kind of, your stats indicate how much damage you do. Anything other than Agility and it should be sold. If you get a piece that is pure agility with nothing else on it, that is something i've always had an issue with. "Well if i equip this then i get more Agility but lose survivability with less Health soooo...should I or shouldn't i"?

Maybe someone with more experience can shed some light on that, but regardless, the amount of Armor from Items shouldn't be such a big deal at all, it's all about Agility.
Reply Quote

Sell it. Intellect does nothing for you. Agility is our most important stat. Any gear we equip must have that stat. We're a ranged dps class, so don't get hung up on the armor value of a piece of gear. When looking for an upgrade, especially when you're starting out, you look for gear that first and foremost has more agility. Once you get to 90, the question if a piece of gear is an upgrade is more complicated, but you don't need to concern yourself with that while leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Also great thread OP, sticky requested, thanks for taking the time to make this, it's greatly appreciated, and Eurugan, thanks for helping out and making it better.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Sneakys
We're a ranged dps class, so don't get hung up on the armor value of a piece of gear.

I was thinking, well it says it has more armor value on it, but should I? because it doesn't appear that the other stuff is something I can use? So even sell it if it has some agility on it then? The things I seem to run into most have agility and intellect or spirit on them?

I know when I go to the vendor, because I collect everything that can fit in these bags, I get a few extra silver selling the armor I don't use so that would be good to sell more of it, not stuff it in the bank thinking well as soon as I figure out whether or not I should wear that then I'll decide what to do with it, for now, put in the bank :)
Edited by Elythaa on 3/26/2013 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was thinking, well it says it has more armor value on it, but should I? because it doesn't appear that the other stuff is something I can use? So even sell it if it has some agility on it then? The things I seem to run into most have agility and intellect or spirit on them?

I am not sure what you're asking here. I'll try to be clearer.

You are only interested in gear that increases your agility. Armor value is absolutely irrelevant, as are strength, intellect and spirit. Not every quest will offer a quest reward you can use or a reward that will be an upgrade. That's perfectly normal. I am currently leveling an alliance hunter (because the only thing better than have two max level hunters is having three max level hunters :P). I only use about 10%- 20% of the quest rewards I am offered. It generally takes 5-7 levels before I encounter an upgrade for any given piece of gear. If you find that you're vendoring a lot of the rewards you're offered, that's perfectly normal.

Regarding the gear you're encountering, Blizzard did a pretty good job of getting rid of the gear with weird stat combinations (i.e. Strength and Spirit). However, they didn't get all of it. You will occasionally run across gear with Agility and say Strength on it. If the amount of agility on the piece of gear is more than the piece of gear you have, feel free to use it. Again, the only stat you really need to worry about while leveling is agility.
Reply Quote
That was perfect thanks so much! I'll sell the rest. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Armor reduces physical dmg taken by you, but the thing is, it takes a lot of armor to give 1% physical dmg reduction, and this number increases exponentially as you get to higher levels. Armor is thus meaningless as a stat to consider, and worthless as a prioritizing stat on tank trinkets or rings. My armor is 24015, that reduces physical dmg I take by 34.17%, provided its from something around my level. At a low lv, the amount of armor it takes is much less.
Agility does not get worse as you get to higher levels. 1 agility always equals 2 Ranged attack power, which contributes directly to your stats. I forget what 1 stamina translates to in terms of HP, but as for armor, 1 armor equals A% physical dmg reduction at lv 20, B% at lv 30, and so on, and the clincher is B is less than A.

Since you have your pet to take melee dmg for you, or tanks to take dmg for you, armor means next to nothing, and even if you weren't a pet class, armor has so little impact that you always look for the stats, for us that is agility, armor is just a nice bonus, but not one to look for.

Furthermore, magic dmg, which can be nature, arcane, frost, shadow, or holy, ignores armor completly. Before you get to lv 80 and get mastery, KC is weaker than arcane shot. KC does physical dmg, and the adds you are fighting have armor like you do, as a result, any physical dmg you do is reduced based on a percentage which is determined by how much armor rating they have, based on their level. at 80, your pets dmg is boosted by mastery, and provided you have mastery on your gear, KC starts hiting hard enough to out damage arcane shot in spite of the dmg reduction enemies get due to armor. Arcane shot does more dmg at low levels because it is magic damage and ignores armor.

This was a long answer, but I hope I answered it well.
Edited by Eurugan on 3/26/2013 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This was a long answer, but I hope I answered it well.

You did :) Thanks much!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]