You Rolled a Hunter, Now What?

90 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks so much for this post. I've obviously been a hunter for awhile, and having a lot of this knowledge will come in handy even for someone who has gotten this far as one. Seriously, this is going to help a bunch.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Thanks so much for this post. I've obviously been a hunter for awhile, and having a lot of this knowledge will come in handy even for someone who has gotten this far as one. Seriously, this is going to help a bunch.
No problem, it's why I made this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thats why whim made it, and I bounced ideas off of him to help him make it more accurate and helpfull. A few of us have made other threads to help out, such as my pet thread and the pve and pvp guide threads.

We thought these kinds of guides would be usefull, looked around, couldnt find one that did what we had in mind, and we decided to create such a guide, and others helped out with us making these guides.

Some of the advice (not pulling for tanks, growl, dismissing pets incertain situations), are common sense things for us who have played hunters for a while, that new hunters have issues with and this lack of understanding can cause grief for tanks and healers, and is the orrigin of some anti hunter bias.

Edit: hey whim, is the lv 50 requirement for certificate of ownership a hidden thing, or is it something thats been removed since you wrote the thread, and have you found info on cool downs, such as how it used to be only useable once a week, having a 7 day cd on the item (still being consumed), and is that character wide, or just for said pet (CD, fairly certain the item use only counts for said pet).
Edited by Eurugan on 6/25/2013 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
OK, disregard the cooldown question, its been removed since Cata, just checking on the accuracy of the level 50 requirement.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
I have a maxed Inscriptionist Alt that does it and I checked with one I made before posing it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, Just checking as mousing over it and checking on wowhead didint mention the level 50 requirement.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Ok, Just checking as mousing over it and checking on wowhead didint mention the level 50 requirement.
I'll make double sure again tonight.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Well, definitely keep it up, and I'll direct people who are new to hunter class to this and the other threads.
Reply Quote
59 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks! This guide has helped me a lot and answered all my questions! I requested for sticky.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Thanks both of y'all!
Reply Quote
34 Human Warlock
-What Race should I chose?Honestly what ever looks the best to you. Just make sure that you are comfortable with looking at it’s back. Everything else is just meh. You can be anything but a Gnome.

I didn't read all the post after the original. actually I think I read the first two original post then stopped. First and formost.... Race DOES matter. What is a hunters best stat no matter what spec you are? CRIT. what Race gives you 1% more crit passively.... Worgen... also Worgen give you a sprint. to make it easier to get away from certain mechanics. ORRRR if you're not into PVE and you're mainly interested in PVP then Humans are the way to go for the every man for himself ability they get. Also if you're a warrior or paladin and need expertise for a 2h weapon then the racials for are applied there as well. Now, if you're only doing casual solo play and you don't care about min maxing your dps or play style then it really doesn't matter. But even still they can help you in any part of the game. that is why they are there.
Edited by Wreakhavic on 7/15/2013 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
07/15/2013 03:26 PMPosted by Wreakhavic
-What Race should I chose?Honestly what ever looks the best to you. Just make sure that you are comfortable with looking at it’s back. Everything else is just meh. You can be anything but a Gnome.

I didn't read all the post after the original. actually I think I read the first two original post then stopped. First and formost.... Race DOES matter. What is a hunters best stat no matter what spec you are? CRIT. what Race gives you 1% more crit passively.... Worgen... also Worgen give you a sprint. to make it easier to get away from certain mechanics. ORRRR if you're not into PVE and you're mainly interested in PVP then Humans are the way to go for the every man for himself ability they get. Also if you're a warrior or paladin and need expertise for a 2h weapon then the racials for are applied there as well. Now, if you're only doing casual solo play and you don't care about min maxing your dps or play style then it really doesn't matter. But even still they can help you in any part of the game. that is why they are there.
Not everyone is going out there for the min/max nor are they just going after being like the number one guy in the class. Some people actually care about what they are looking at when they play. Others don't want to go Worgen or Human just because they want to play Horde. As far as melee weapon's expertise Hunters don't need it. If you want a weapon's expertise choice in Hunters then either go Dwarf or Troll. Crit is also not the single best stat in the game right now. At a certain point Haste out weighs it make Goblins more attractive in the min/max stand point. The bottom line is that you have to be happy with what ever back side you are going to look at for 90 levels and beyond.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Hey whim, its been a while, got a new sugestion for the thread.

Someone recently asked for advice on how to tame a new pet, think we can come up with an explanation to add to your thread. Seems ovbious to us oldtime hunters, but a new guy could use the advice.

You know, dismiss pet, make sure you are lv 10, make sure you have an active pet slot empty (what one is, how to make it empty, how to use the stable master), find desired beast, and tame it.
Edited by Eurugan on 7/31/2013 11:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, maybe your busy, Ill type the answer up and then ill start bothering you to quote it on the front page.

To tame a new pet, you first need to level your hunter at least to level 10. At that level, you get the spell tame beast, along with the ability to controll your pet (tell it to atack, folow, passive (atacks nothing unless told to), defensive (atacks only if something damages you or your pet), assist (atack what you are attacking, target changing has a small delay if the old target is still alive).

To tame a beast you need an empty active pet slot, which can be achieved by visiting a stablemaster and puting your pet in the stable (mandatory before level 18, which is when you get call pet 2 and your second active pet slot), or by waiting untill you get a new active pet slot (which happens at lv 18, 42, 62, and 82). The stable master can store up to 50 pets for you, enabling you to have up to 55 different pets tamed at any one time
(50 inactive/stabled + 5 active). If for some reason you reach your limit (it still happens, even though we nolonger are limited to 20, or 5), you can abandon your pet by sumoning it, right clicking on its health bar, and clicking abandon pet. This is permanent, to beable to call on that pet agian, you will have to go and retame it.

Once you have an empty pet slot, you go find the beast you desire to tame, cast the tame beast spell, and when it finishes, you will have tamed the pet. Now, it can fail for one of a few reasons. A) if over lv 18, you have an active pet out, gota dismiss any active pets in order to tame a new one, regardless of if you have an extra empty pet slot or not. B) some one else gets agro on it, unless you have agro (meaning its atacking you and you are on the top of its threat table), you cant tame it. Some people like to mess with hutners by taunting or attacking a beast they are trying to tame. Or if you have a friend healing you, the healer can unintentionally gain agro just by healing you. Finally C) if the pet (or you) dies (or in certain cases with certain pets having the ability to interrupt the tame beast cast, be it by stun or an actual interupt/silence mechanic), it will fail.

Tricks to avoid geting killed by the pet you want to tame involve use of snares/roots, using freezing trap to encase your pet in a block of ice, wyvern sting, and concusive shot. For most pets, this is a non issue, for some rarespawn pets (toward ice crown and cata) however, it may be needed.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Hey whim, its been a while, got a new sugestion for the thread.

Someone recently asked for advice on how to tame a new pet, think we can come up with an explanation to add to your thread. Seems ovbious to us oldtime hunters, but a new guy could use the advice.

You know, dismiss pet, make sure you are lv 10, make sure you have an active pet slot empty (what one is, how to make it empty, how to use the stable master), find desired beast, and tame it.
Good idea, I'll get it up there asap.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
Ok, maybe your busy, Ill type the answer up and then ill start bothering you to quote it on the front page.

To tame a new pet, you first need to level your hunter at least to level 10. At that level, you get the spell tame beast, along with the ability to controll your pet (tell it to atack, folow, passive (atacks nothing unless told to), defensive (atacks only if something damages you or your pet), assist (atack what you are attacking, target changing has a small delay if the old target is still alive).

To tame a beast you need an empty active pet slot, which can be achieved by visiting a stablemaster and puting your pet in the stable (mandatory before level 18, which is when you get call pet 2 and your second active pet slot), or by waiting untill you get a new active pet slot (which happens at lv 18, 42, 62, and 82). The stable master can store up to 50 pets for you, enabling you to have up to 55 different pets tamed at any one time
(50 inactive/stabled + 5 active). If for some reason you reach your limit (it still happens, even though we nolonger are limited to 20, or 5), you can abandon your pet by sumoning it, right clicking on its health bar, and clicking abandon pet. This is permanent, to beable to call on that pet agian, you will have to go and retame it.

Once you have an empty pet slot, you go find the beast you desire to tame, cast the tame beast spell, and when it finishes, you will have tamed the pet. Now, it can fail for one of a few reasons. A) if over lv 18, you have an active pet out, gota dismiss any active pets in order to tame a new one, regardless of if you have an extra empty pet slot or not. B) some one else gets agro on it, unless you have agro (meaning its atacking you and you are on the top of its threat table), you cant tame it. Some people like to mess with hutners by taunting or attacking a beast they are trying to tame. Or if you have a friend healing you, the healer can unintentionally gain agro just by healing you. Finally C) if the pet (or you) dies (or in certain cases with certain pets having the ability to interrupt the tame beast cast, be it by stun or an actual interupt/silence mechanic), it will fail.

Tricks to avoid geting killed by the pet you want to tame involve use of snares/roots, using freezing trap to encase your pet in a block of ice, wyvern sting, and concusive shot. For most pets, this is a non issue, for some rarespawn pets (toward ice crown and cata) however, it may be needed.
I trimmed some of this down but thanks for the info. I will expand on it later.

Also added a part about the Stable and Stable Masters.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Hunter
Remember, Survival spec has the least survivability!
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
I will update this for 5.4 but I honestly don't know if I will keep playing after that.
Reply Quote
81 Goblin Hunter
Thanks for creating this post, it is helpful.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
You are welcome. Thanks for bumping it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]