Going holy and dropping disc. (PVE)

90 Human Priest
Well kinda. I decided I need to make a choice. Holy and disc don't use the same stats and certain items are better for one than the other. I am 8/12 in ToT in a causal guild. While no caster gear has dropped I decided to make a choice on gear. Holy and disc have pros and cons. Here is my thought process.

Holy has tremendous throughput. Fully ToT geared I think a holy priest could solo heal ToeS lfr, maybe two heal. Holy shines when players are never topped off.

Disc is fun to play, you get to throw in some dps too. Disc shines on burst mechanics and when the raid can be topped off.

What I have learned is you can not go off of meters, they lie, they do not tell how well heal was done. A good feel for the fight and downing bosses is what is important.

When everyone is farming ToT and fullly geared Disc will be pulling even harder as everyone will be even more topped off. If you want to top meters go disc, if you want to have the ability to pull a sinking ship out of the water go Holy.

PS holy has bad mana issues compared to Disc. I also do not go holy for every fight, but you have to stand somewhere when it comes to picking up gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Out of curiosity, what are your stat priorities for each?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I just had to stop playing disc all together. Id be lying if i said i even remotely kept up with all the bugs/hotfixes and little patches lately, but, when they completely took away DA from PoH instead of lowering the % (typical blizzard fashion, rather than creeping up on a balanced number someone gets a hair up their rear end and a wave of change hits) i immediately noticed a 30khps drop on almost every fight.

After getting used to the change and playing a more attonement heavy style i was able to recoup some of the loss but it seems over the past week my HPS for fights has been getting lower and lower where i am now down to 30-40k on fights i was previously 70+ on.

Unfortunately its not just me noticing as my guild has been asking me to go and stay holy for more fights.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Im a newer priest but have decided to stick with Disc for now, although I'd like to dabble in Holy. I always kept two sets of gear anyway - but now that I do dailies as Disc...

I figure I'll just start to maintain a Holy offset.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I just had to stop playing disc all together. Id be lying if i said i even remotely kept up with all the bugs/hotfixes and little patches lately, but, when they completely took away DA from PoH instead of lowering the % (typical blizzard fashion, rather than creeping up on a balanced number someone gets a hair up their rear end and a wave of change hits) i immediately noticed a 30khps drop on almost every fight.

After getting used to the change and playing a more attonement heavy style i was able to recoup some of the loss but it seems over the past week my HPS for fights has been getting lower and lower where i am now down to 30-40k on fights i was previously 70+ on.

Unfortunately its not just me noticing as my guild has been asking me to go and stay holy for more fights.

Disc requires a bit more work now than it did in 5.1 but you should still be able to compete with any healer. You wont be 30%+ ahead anymore but still a very strong healer on many of the encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Staying disc so I dont need to respec for pvp
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I don't understand why people are complaining about disc. Disc is so powerful, there are still few fights holy can even compete against disc. Disc is still topping healing meters on most fights. Don't believe me? go to world of logs.

If any spec needs a little help Holy needs better mana efficiency. When I go Disc I go all int, including flask. When I go holy I HAVE TO Switch all int to spirit. My disc build has so much more spell power it can heal like a truck. Even though disc doesn't need much spirit you will still never go oom when played right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think the transition from being overpowered and unbalanced in 5.0 / 5.1 means that when Disc did get mostly balanced people were upset at their drop in throughput.

It's just as viable a healing spec as it was before and performs on par with other healers if played effectively, which honestly Disc has a higher skill cap with everything they have to juggle / pay attention to (imo).

Personally I switched my healing OS from Disc to Holy when 5.2 went live. My reasoning is that I've spent more time as Holy before MoP so I'm more comfortable with it's toolkit as it really hasn't changed all that much since Wrath. I found that when I was called upon to heal I was not as consistent with my CDs / abilities as I could have been.

Perhaps if I spent more time healing than I do I would have stayed Disc where I could have acclimated to the point of muscle memory like Shadow is for me if nothing else just for Dungeon awesomeness. Disc is a little more kick #*$ than Holy too.

But in the end my opinion is that Holy is more 'accessible' but both specs are performing quite well and are just as viable.

tl;dnr - There's no 'right' answer in Holy vs Disc, they're both great. Pick what you like more.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Also, I just realized we healed a ToT LFR together earlier in the week. Small world...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I prefer Disc for 10-mans and Holy for 25-mans. I do feel like mana is the biggest problem for Holy, everything else seems fine except cooldowns for Holy need some tweaking.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm "in the process" of switching to Holy for our 25m, so I have adjusted my gear towards Holy: 12.5% raid buffed haste > mastery > crit.

So far, my Holy gear has worked out good when healing 10m and 25m in Disc. When I go Disc, it is mostly because of bubble spamming or prioritized tank healing. When I go Holy, it would be because we need more aoe throughput, and my EoL would have little overhealing. So, this high mastery build helps out in both situations.

I do notice that mana needs a lot of attention in Holy, especially for me who got used to similar Spirit level as Disc.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
For those curious, I would like to point out that Nightsttorm & Woaden (maybe others?) are speaking in terms of 25man. Personally, I find Holy simply amazing in 25man in 5.2.... even though Blizzard didn't do a whole lot to change it. However, in 10man, it doesn't feel as great. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yes. I do not have any 10 man experience. I would image that Disc would be stronger for the ability to max out SS on two groups and the higher effectiveness of Atonement due to fewer people AND fewer trash targets like pets.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I've kinda wanted to go holy for a little while now, but it'd require reforging everything and I'm not sure I'd want to do my dailies as holy after being so used to the easy mode attonement questing.

Perhaps I'd drop disc and grab shadow, shadow and holy have pretty similar stat priorities I guess (aside from carrying far too much spirit for shadow).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm holy/disc but my true passion is holy. Part of that reason is most likely that it plays more similar to my resto druid main. I wish something was done with serpendipity to make it easier to use. Flash heal is expensive with t14 2-set and kind of ridiculous without it. It feels like there is a lack of synergy there and it is definately difficult to conserve mana at times.

Better mana efficiency or another source such as rapture for holy would help but at times chakra can be quite annoying to juggle. On heavy tank dmg 10-man fights it's hard to justify not being in serenity but then when bursts of aoe hit you feel rather crippled. In sanctuary chakra I feel like there is very little I can do to tank heal and that it is even a waste of mana to assist the other healers in keeping a tank up. A chakra change as little as lowering the cooldown would be greatly appreciated but I believe the whole concept failed for the majority of fights.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
soon we will have 3 specs dont worry
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I've kinda wanted to go holy for a little while now, but it'd require reforging everything and I'm not sure I'd want to do my dailies as holy after being so used to the easy mode attonement questing.

Perhaps I'd drop disc and grab shadow, shadow and holy have pretty similar stat priorities I guess (aside from carrying far too much spirit for shadow).

I actually main heals as Disc AND quest as Holy in Chakra CHASTISE. ;) For my Holy DPS I use a mix of heals/shadow gear I pulled together. I do insane amounts of burst for the quests ..it's a hoot. Give it a shot :)
Edited by Jaenna on 3/28/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yes. I do not have any 10 man experience. I would image that Disc would be stronger for the ability to max out SS on two groups and the higher effectiveness of Atonement due to fewer people AND fewer trash targets like pets.

I've actually heard really good things about Holy in 10 mans using Serenity and Glyph of Renew. You see a lot less PoH, and your other abilities have more representation. Vastly different playstyle, and people trying to emulate 25man play aren't going to do as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Disc priests are just as strong as before, in my guild they still top meters.

A lot of fights favor Disc over Holy as far as meters go. I am going to make a pledge to let go of meters and get the job done. Holy has tremendous throughput but if you have a gem without spirit on it it better be a red socket.

For the life of me I can not understand why people stack Haste for Holy? It make zero sense. Stacking a substat for Renew is like when hunters use to where cloth spell power gear for arcane shot. It makes no sense. More of your spells will benefit more from Mastery. It is a % healing increase.

Holy is in need of attention. I stack all int gems as disc vs Spirit and have to stack 13k spirit + in Holy. So what is comes down to is both disc and holy can go HAM but holy can't do it with as much spell power.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
In regards to Haste and Renew:

A 10 man Holy Priest will value Renew much more than a 25 man Holy Priest. It is fair for you to discount Haste if you run 25 man and don't find Renew valuable, but keep in mind that if you do run a 10 man (I see that your guild does both), Chakra: Serenity is quite potent in 10 man and maintaining Renew on tanks and debuffed targets is smart.

Alternatively, you can opt to stack Haste to lower the GCD of your instants (and Holy has many!) or to lower the cast time of Prayer of Healing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]