Hpal problems?

90 Human Paladin
Blame it on my skill if you like, but I don't understand.

Only have two instant heals, and one requires holy power. I can survive with CD's. If they are down, I am forced to cast and cannot cast with more than 2 people on me. No time to fake or I die. In RBG's if i'm healing others, I'm forced to spam flash heal / wog and holy shock just to keep them up, even then its not enough sometimes. Because of this, I go oom very quickly. If im spamming regular heals its not enough to keep them up. I cleanse wounding when possible. I'm fully geared. I've tried sacred shield, multiple glyphs, talents etc. I've regemmed resil / pvp power. Tried reforging crit, etc. I currently have full spirit / mastery and in gems because my heals were super weak with full resil. So wtf is up? Are pallys just not that good? I mean.. only one instant heal, and the rest are slow and inefficient.

btw, blind is nearly useless now because you can simply walk out of range by the time it goes off, or you just get kicked while trying to cast it.
Edited by Holosophos on 3/26/2013 6:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lack of instant cast heals is in my opinion how all heals should be, constantly running spamming 5 yearling spells seems somewhat OP to me

That being said, my general approach is run and cast the 2 instants, then stop - cast - and run while using instants. It seems to work fairly well.

I'm mostly building for int and spirit, so my instants will heal more and I have less fear of OOM while spamming them

Yea our stuns are largely pointless, but the bubbles and hand of freedom etc give us some good breaks
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lack of instant cast heals is in my opinion how all heals should be, constantly running spamming 5 yearling spells seems somewhat OP to me

That being said, my general approach is run and cast the 2 instants, then stop - cast - and run while using instants. It seems to work fairly well.

I'm mostly building for int and spirit, so my instants will heal more and I have less fear of OOM while spamming them

Yea our stuns are largely pointless, but the bubbles and hand of freedom etc give us some good breaks

So how do you heal when 2 melee or even a rogue out damages you with MS so you are forced to cast, and don't have time to pump fake otherwise you die? I can usually get away from 1 rogue while cleansing wound, but when its 2 or more i'm usually dead without cooldowns. Seems like other classes do much better regarding heals.

I'm full int / spirit as well.

Stun is very useful, but aoe blind is near useless for the reasons I mentioned. Bubble and freedom are great, but freedom also costs a global, and does not let you get away from melee unless you use another global for speed increase, by that time you have taken so much damage you can't catch up. Bubble also has a cooldown and can be dispelled.
Edited by Holosophos on 3/26/2013 6:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
2 instants? Looks to me like you have 3

Blinding light was very helpful in these situations, and it was a 2 min cd, so you couldnt rely on it all the time. What you should be relying on is your 90 talent. All three of the 90 talents help in that situation you described.

You sound like you like the instant heals, and you have holy prism, that's your third instant.

Maybe you want to look at blessed life glyph for you open spot. Make the stuns and fears give you holy power for stronger WoG or EF.

Might also want to look at eternal flame. The HOT effect is doubled when you cast it on yourself
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Blinding Light now has a cast time for Holy only.

as far as dealing with melee dps goes, you can aura mastery to beat their interrupts (allowing you to forgo using instants for 6 seconds, then use them afterwards to keep you topped off). glyphed Divine Protection is pretty much a must have now, because magic damage comes in such large bursts its pretty easy to see coming but you have to use it way ahead of time since you die to 2 casters in a blanket silence or stun if you can't trinket or bubble (that's also a glyph you can switch out from game to game, depending on the number of wizards you're facing).

You can Divine Shield with melee on you (which can only be dispelled by Shattering Throw or Mass Dispel) or Hand of Protection (can be simply purged or Mass Dispelled/Shattered also) those rely on Forbearance so they aren't practical to use all the time.

Swapping your beacon to yourself when you are forced to hard cast FoLs is huge too, each FoL you land on your beacon target gives 2 Holy Power thanks to the PvP 4pc. That will give you more Holy Power to Eternal Flame yourself to stay alive.

also, gemming intellect and spirit is all well and good, but you really can just gem resilience to help you stay alive as well. if need be you can swap your trinkets around if you feel like you need more regen (giving up some pvp power and a nominal amount of resil for a large chunk of spirit).
Edited by Flay on 3/27/2013 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The cast time which has been instituted for blinding light seems to make the spell almost useless. Hardly ever use it in pve. In pvp it's primarily a defensive spell, but with all the ways you can get stunned, interrupted, etc, you can never really use it when you're in trouble. Mind you, this spell has a 2 minute cooldown, so it's not like you can use it all the time anyway. Just ironic that the players who are beating you down can use it offensively, cause you're not in a position to stop it. Lol. Change it or get rid of it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
if you're getting beaten down, the disorient lasts a half a second. the primary reason it was nerfed was to stop holy paladins from CC chaining an opposing player (usually the healer) for 15-20 seconds. the problem with the cast time is that it really doesn't stop that, because you can just cast it with 1.5 seconds left on Repentance and get someone anyways.

holy paladins are very strong, and if there's any problem it's not Paladin specific. healers are quite possibly as strong as they have ever been (you're godlike in most situations because of the sheer amount of cooldowns you possess). if you're struggling it's likely a thought process or playstyle issue, not something fundamentally wrong with Holy Paladins.
Reply Quote
60 Human Paladin
It's not your skill that's the problem. Doing bgs i feel weaker than at any point in the last 8+ years. I used to be able to tank 5+ noobs, now i'm down to maybe 3 if it's not dk, rogue, or mage on me. Every class has 3+ ways to stop casts now, and dps is so confident they start throwing break on damage cc knowing i have to hard cast to stay alive.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I get what you're saying. I won't run random anymore BC I'm completely dependent on peals from DPS. Usually my bops are saved to save the other healers and I save my stuns to get myself away. I pretty much stand right behind my mage and cry like a little girl if someone comes near me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]