Soloing as a Mage.

90 Orc Mage
So I've been thinking about going back into some old content and getting all nostalgic over how awesome wow once was.

Any tips on how to solo as a Mage?

i.e Spec, glyph's and utility's or what you do to solo the good old stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I soloed Molten Core easily as fire. The only problems I had came from the infinite corehound spawn after the second boss.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
So I've been thinking about going back into some old content and getting all nostalgic over how awesome wow once was.

Any tips on how to solo as a Mage?

i.e Spec, glyph's and utility's or what you do to solo the good old stuff.

In general, because you have no healer or tank, youll need to focus more how to defend yourself and keep yourself alive. Spells like mirror images and evo/invo become very valuable.

That said, most raids prior to ulduar or icc are trivially easy, and even then, i know some peoplecare soloing raids like icc or above.

Therefore, the challenge comes less from needing more dps or surviving, and more figuring out how to overcome fights that werent designed to be solo. For example, there are certain enemies and fights where the mobs are immune to magic so u need to hit them with your weapon doing Physical damage, which is obviously not something you'd do in a current content raid. People have put also put guides out for specific bosses.

Enjoy Chess!
Edited by Rentrenus on 3/26/2013 5:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been on a solo'ing mission lately and here's what I did this past week:
-Onyxia 10
-Kharazan (including chess event--just need to get lucky--usually 3-4 tries)
-Tempest Keep
-Gruul's Lair
-Serpentshrine Cavern
-Magtheridon's Lair
-AQ 40 (Viscidus is easy, equip a 1.6 dagger, Timewarp at 1 hp and frozen)
-Molten Core
-Black Temple
-Mount Hyjal
-Naxx 10 (complete clear)
-ICC 10 (can't down Valithria because we can't heal which means, as far as I know, makes it impossible to get to Sindragosa and the Lich King)
-Sunwell Plateau
-Vault of Archivon (Wintergrasp raid)
-Eye of Eternity
-Ulduar 10 (Thorim is doable if you can get it right, though I haven't yet, which stops you from completing it. Also, Algalon and Assembly of Iron are tough (optional) fights which I haven't downed.)
-Obsidium Sanctum 10 (+3)
-Ruby Sanctum 10
-Trial of the Crusader (ToC)

-ICC 10 heroic seems impossible after Gunship (Deathbringer Saurfang... yeah right)
-OS 25 (+3) seems impossible atm solo
-Firelands is on the menu for the mount
-Haven't tried Bastion of Twilight or Blackwing Descent (great transmogs) and don't think we can solo them yet
-Going for Naxx 25 this week
-Trying ZG (heroic solo obviously now) for the mounts
-Blackwing Lair I believe is impossible due to the first boss (solo)

I think that's about it. Just switch between frost and fire for certain fights you're having trouble with, and change glyphs/talents when needed. I found frost to be overall a better option. Glyph Armors and use Molten for 16% physical dmg reduction. Evocation for the 60% heal (I tend not to use Invocation due to the nerf). Ice Lance to hit one additional enemy for 50% dmg. But you can change them situationally. I found if you gem/reforge mostly crit for your pve gear that it interchanges nicely between fire/frost for solo'ing. Frost--fights you can freeze enemies use Mage Armor. Otherwise, Molten Armor. Fire--always Molten Armor.

Talents--Blazing Speed (vs Presence of Mind) generally more useful. Ice Barrier is the go-to next tier talent. (Thinking about it now, Deathbringer Saurfang heroic ICC 10 might be soloable with Temporal Shield.) Ring of Frost (vs Iceward) next. Fights when more mobility is needed and enemies freeze, use Iceward. Coldsnap is way more useful than Cauterize solo. (Greater Invisibility may help situationally.) Next tier, always switch your bombs situationally. Frost Bomb I generally like but Nether Tempest I use just as often for fights where I need to Iceblock and lower amount of enemies fights. And last tier, Incanter's Ward generally is the best because you get 30% spellpower and still allows you a full heal with your Evocation (glyphed). But fights where you just stand still, Rune of Power can be useful.

GL solo'ing!
Edited by Shnoblin on 3/29/2013 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
BWL is soloable. ;) Just gotta learn the annoying !@# mechanics. I think Vael is more of a pain if your gear is below ilvl 480 or so, though. Need some good DPS but now in 5.2 you shouldn't have a problem with it.

The other road block is Chromaggus on occasion depending on what buff he comes with. Still easily done.

I don't think we'd be able to solo LK...could be wrong.

I'm impressed by your list! I will say that BoT is probably not soloable by us. I tried to duo it with a druid tank friend...we got to council before having to call it quits. They have some cheesey mechanics and our new evocation heal doesn't cut it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
How do you solo 10 man Saurfang after the InvoEvo nerf?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
BWl is easily soloable as a mage. just work from the eggs closest to the platform first. right when youre possession is about to end, run him to the far side of the room. Thisll give you time kill some trash thats formed around you and heal up a bit - few invos (ugh invo nerf).

Rest is cake.

Naxx 25 kicked my butt. Naxx 10 was so easy that I was convinced I could hit 25. Well I was wrong. The boss damage was just way too much to handle. I think I only managed Anub.

I've done all the rest in your list except a gunship. I didnt think it was possible so i didnt even try.

I couldnt make a dent in BoT. Killed some trash and realized it was taking forever. Never went any further.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
03/27/2013 08:46 PMPosted by Shnoblin
-Serpentshrine Cavern

You did it as frost didn't you?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
As for me, I did everything as Frost. Only frost.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
How did you get past Flame Lev. in Ulduar? I tried soloing it a couple weeks ago and didn't even come close. My vehicle blew up while he was still at like 50% or so.

Kara chess you basically want to get in a couple of pawns and move them and then switch around in the back. I usually end up being a healer most of the time so I can keep the king alive. But it still isn't easy. There is no real set pattern to use so it may take a few tries.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
03/29/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Bojangls
How did you get past Flame Lev. in Ulduar? I tried soloing it a couple weeks ago and didn't even come close. My vehicle blew up while he was still at like 50% or so.

Get in the demo, stack pyrite and win.

You can shoot some down and switch to the passenger seat if you need to refill.

Also much easier if you do it on normal mode. Don't talk to the construct at the beginning, go directly to Brann.
Edited by Mozza on 3/29/2013 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
FL is easy. just shoot downs lots of pyro to start. stack it on him. then just stand in place and shoot. you never even have to get out of the drivers seat. (i take out all 4 towers typcially but ive done it with 3 down as well)

it just takes so damn long to do the trash.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
FL is easy. just shoot downs lots of pyro to start. stack it on him. then just stand in place and shoot. you never even have to get out of the drivers seat. (i take out all 4 towers typcially but ive done it with 3 down as well)

it just takes so damn long to do the trash.

Ahhhh. I think my biggest issue was though doing it HM. Totally forgot about not talking to the construct heh
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 11:54 PMPosted by Niflhel
BWL is soloable. ;)

BWl is easily soloable as a mage

Oh really? That's good to know! I tried twice this week and it wouldn't let me click the orb to control the boss. There must be a mechanic I'm missing, Ima try that again now that I know it's doable :).

How do you solo 10 man Saurfang after the InvoEvo nerf?

Regular ICC 10-- did it fire and frost. (Use Evocation with the 60% heal glyph.) (Bring health pots with you, just in case.) Start when your Ice Barrier is at 30 sec, giving you a fresh one quickly. Pop Timewarp almost immediately. Burn as much as you can standing still. Pop Iceblock when your low the first time, then Coldsnap immediately. That's when you start kiting. Use Blazing Speed and blink from side to side buying time to reapply Ice Barrier/Incanters Ward, making sure to keep Nether Tempest (I like for this fight) or Frost Bomb applied. (Never focus the adds, just the boss.) Whenever you get your shield up, you can plant yourself and blast away for about 8 seconds. The 2nd time your health is low, pop Mirror Images and use Evocation to heal to full. After Mirror Images fades, bosses tend to aggro on your pet. If he does, heal your elemental as long as you can to buy you more time. The 3rd time your low on health, he should be getting low too. RUN!-- and make sure to dot him with NT when/if his minions are out. NT makes it easy to multi dot too. Let your bomb and instant casts do the work while running. Whenever you can gain some distance, plant for a Frostbolt or 2. Iceblock when your shields are down and a fresh NT is applied. And lastly, if needed, the health potion you brought should save you by that point. (Going frost seems easier because all the procs you get with Frozen Orb. His adds go down instantly.)

Naxx 25 kicked my butt

Ha! That's what I figured. Saved me some time there.

I've done all the rest in your list except a gunship. I didnt think it was possible so i didnt even try.

I thought fire was the way to go but frost kills this one, especially heroic. The one thing that you must stop is "Burning Pitch" from the marines/sergeants that board your ship. Use Frozen Orb immediately. The second you hear "marines/sergeants attack", dismount the gun and orb towards their spawn point. This way they won't throw burning pitch. You'll proc IL/FFB and kill them instantly. If Orb is down, your pet stays on the ship so use his freeze the second the marines board your ship and IL them down. Rocket over, hopefully with a proc or 2 up, to kill the mage in a couple shots. Rocket back. Hop in gun expecting the marines to come at any moment. Make sure to get your heat up to max in the gun and spread your max shot out across the deck of the ship. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but you seem to kill npc's with your max shot. If you're quick, you get some major time in the cannon a few times. Takes about 5-6 times of hopping back and forth to down it I believe.

SSC, yes I did as frost. There are almost no fights (any raid) that going fire actually make it easier. Frost just seems the way to go. Forgot the boss name, but one boss in SSC (with 3 npc's with him) is pretty hard. You have to time it just right, because he hits you with an ungodly shot every 10 secs. When he reaches 30% health or so, the dmg is multiplied for every add still up. The only way I found to do this is burn him down with the adds still up, and Iceblock at exactly the right moment. Then down him within 10 secs. I just skip him now, not worth it. Otherwise, Lady Vash isn't that hard.

Ahhhh. I think my biggest issue was though doing it HM. Totally forgot about not talking to the construct heh

I didn't know that engaged HM. Ima try it but probably fail. Yeah, I just talk to Brann too and it's a really easy fight with a demo. I know if you die at FL, it'll open the "back area" up and you'll have access to more vehicles. You can park them inside the boss perimeter at the corner and just hop from vehicle to vehicle. Maybe a way to down 25 man or HM. XT-002 Constructor is definitely doable HM. Mimiron is next on the list HM, not sure if it's doable yet.

Kara chess you basically want to get in a couple of pawns and move them and then switch around in the back. I usually end up being a healer most of the time so I can keep the king alive. But it still isn't easy. There is no real set pattern to use so it may take a few tries.

Yeah, I always move the 2 pawns in front of your king and queen pieces. You've got time to move those 2, then hop on the queen (Orc Warlock) for 2 or 3 fireballs. Just make sure to be ready and waiting when he cheats. If you can "lure" their king into a fire it's gg most every time. But I generally stay in the king and queen piece. Likewise, it's pretty crucial to hop on your 2 healer pieces for a heal or 2. I usually do this just once per piece and stay in my king. Luck is a huge factor on this.

Great to see all the fellow solo'ers out there! xD
Edited by Shnoblin on 3/29/2013 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
03/29/2013 06:33 PMPosted by Shnoblin
BWL is soloable. ;)

BWl is easily soloable as a mage

Oh really? That's good to know! I tried twice this week and it wouldn't let me click the orb to control the boss. There must be a mechanic I'm missing, Ima try that again now that I know it's doable :).

Don't get me wrong! It's still very annoying. The orb mechancis you're running into are quite glitchy.

Here's what you want to do:

Start off on the far side of the room. When you get a lot of adds on Razor, run to the side of the room with the orb (where you are) and THEN release: otherwise Razor ends up holding aggro on the adds. I haven't tried it with invocation but that may give us sufficient aggro on mobs. Otherwise, just snipe the things on Razor. Be careful not to re-touch the orb too soon.

May take a few tries but once you get it down, you won't have issues again.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage

You can't control the orb if you have a pet active. Dismiss your Water Elemental and it will work fine.
Reply Quote
You can't control the orb if you have a pet active. Dismiss your Water Elemental and it will work fine.

May take a few tries but once you get it down, you won't have issues again.

Thank you both. It's actually pretty easy after all. It was the elemental.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Would any of you mind giving me a detailed run down on how you kill Kael in Tempest Keep? I'd really like to get the mount from there and haven't had any luck in the past.

Thanks much!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
-Serpentshrine Cavern

I am going back. It used to need more than one person for the mechanics.
Edited by Bitterhope on 3/30/2013 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

SSC, yes I did as frost. There are almost no fights (any raid) that going fire actually make it easier. Frost just seems the way to go. Forgot the boss name, but one boss in SSC (with 3 npc's with him) is pretty hard. You have to time it just right, because he hits you with an ungodly shot every 10 secs. When he reaches 30% health or so, the dmg is multiplied for every add still up. The only way I found to do this is burn him down with the adds still up, and Iceblock at exactly the right moment. Then down him within 10 secs. I just skip him now, not worth it. Otherwise, Lady Vash isn't that hard.

It's actually been a while since I've been here, but I went back here in 5.1 and I did the whole thing as . . . arcane!

Actually, that's not true - we have the reverse problem. I know the boss you're talking about, remember having issues, but got by, also the guy that needed to be burned fast, got past him . . .

VASH! I couldn't get past Vash. But I'm playing as frost now and I'm thinking the elemental would obviously make the adds much easier. I also had issues with the spawn leaving before I could get to it. The closest I ever got was the final stage, but the stacks damage was too much.

I've also had issues with Razorgore. I have never been able to keep him alive.

I've been able to clear the rest of the pre-wrath content and it was honestly quite fun.

Looking forward to tackling the wrath content solo.
Edited by Rentrenus on 3/30/2013 11:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]