A Villain's Pledge

100 Draenei Paladin
I will be a good citizen. Realizing that my in-character interactions will largely be of an antagonistic and hostile nature, I will accept that the burden is upon me to behave spotlessly in an OOC capacity, to be a credit to the community, to cause no trouble or drama, and to be friendly and helpful to my fellow players. I will hold myself to such a standard that no one will have the excuse of my character's actions to condemn me as a player or a person.

I will befriend my enemies. I will never confuse my character's objectives with my own; while my character is legitimately trying to put one over on the other characters on the realm, the players behind those characters are my partners in creating story, not my enemies. I will pay special attention to those who oppose my character's evil actions, keeping the lines of OOC communication always open and doing my part to foster goodwill so that we can all enjoy the game together.

I will start trouble. Story is driven by conflict, and conflict is created by villains. In playing a villain character, I embrace the responsibility to provide story and roleplay not just for myself and my guild, but for others and the realm as a whole. Keeping in mind my responsibilities to the community, I'll go about this respectfully and openly in an OOC capacity, creating schemes and events that provide opportunities for others to have fun interactions as well as myself.

I will lose. Not ALL the time; that would be boring. But it is a mainstay of fiction that the heroes win, and it is a mainstay of both GOOD fiction and getting along with people in general that nobody gets to win all the time. I will be willing to embrace defeat, when necessary, for this is an opportunity to shake my fist, proclaim “Next time!!” and further my own villainous story.

I will act for good reason. Acknowledging that “'cos I'm evil” is not a valid motivation for anything, I will consider my character's story and personality when beginning any nefarious scheme, and will be sure to always incorporate a point that furthers her or his story. All people, real or fictional, do things for what seem like good reasons to them; even the insane act with a consistent internal logic, though others may not see it as such. My character shall not run around causing random disruptions, but act in accordance with a cohesive narrative.

I will plan to the end. As creator of the conflict, and thus the story, I will remember that people depend on me to see events through; there is nothing more frustrating than a promising story that falls apart before its conclusion. My character's plots (and thus my stories) will have a planned beginning and end, which I will implement with OOC input from my victims/adversaries so that everyone can have fun, and I will plan conditions for victory, defeat, and stalemate. Above all, I will never engineer a situation where my opponents must destroy my character or be, themselves, destroyed (unless someone specifically wants a plot to help them kill off a character); these end with everyone unhappy.

I will play the game. I will remember at all times that my character's foes are my storytelling partners, and never use my character's villainy as an excuse to ruin their day. When I feel anger, aggression or any negative state that I wish to work out using my character, I will queue for a dungeon or battleground and slaughter colorful bits of data until the urge passes. I am not my character; I am not a villain. I will, in short, play nicely.
Edited by Azhaar on 3/27/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
In browsing the forum recently, I've seen a lot of recruitment threads for criminal/villain guilds on the Alliance side. I think that's great! I've not RP'd with any of you, so please don't take this as an intended criticism of anything anyone has done.

For about a year (several years ago), I led <House Shadewind>, which was at that time the premier criminal RP guild in the Silvermoon scene. I just wanted to share some of the lessons I gained from that wonderful experience. Some of these are things I understood going in; some I had to learn in the course of doing it, after making a few critical mistakes. Some I must confess I consistently got wrong and didn't figure out until long after the fact, when I could ponder events with some objectivity.

It's my hope that my experiences and the lessons thus acquired will be useful to the community. Villains are the lifeblood of story; we need and love you guys.

Stay classy, Wyrmrest.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Can we find more like that?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Fiiine.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
/standing ovation
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
-gives a two fingered salute-

Grandma Cathy shall do just that!

-creepy old woman cackle-

(( Seriously though, this is an awesome pledge. Reminds me of Wreck-it-Ralph's villain pledge:
" I am bad, and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me." ))
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be then me.
Reply Quote
Shouldn't we request for sticky
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Thought out and thoroughly explained.

/salute

When you do things right, no one will be sure you've done anything at all.

Heh heh heh ha ha ha HAH HAH HAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Reply Quote
-standing ovation-

This is brilliant, and makes me want to become a villain straight away! Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Azhaar. But with all respect, this stuck out to me:

[...] even the insane act with a consistent albeit twisted logic.

Speaking as one of 'the insane', sometimes our logic doesn't line up, but that's true for everyone, and we're not uniformly evil. Most of us just like to %!!*!#@@ around on the internet like you guys. :3 I know it's just a throwaway line, but one of the biggest barriers for me to enter the rp community is the way people (mis)portray mental illness/insanity by using it as a motivation behind evil. It's hard to be around, because I know those attitudes seep into the real world, where I risk losing my job or my healthcare because of the misinformation surrounding being crazy. I can't make you change the phrasing, obviously! But I can ask you to reconsider it, so I am. c:
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Shouldn't we request for sticky
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Speaking as one of 'the insane', sometimes our logic doesn't line up, but that's true for everyone, and we're not uniformly evil. Most of us just like to %!!*!#@@ around on the internet like you guys. :3 I know it's just a throwaway line, but one of the biggest barriers for me to enter the rp community is the way people (mis)portray mental illness/insanity by using it as a motivation behind evil. It's hard to be around, because I know those attitudes seep into the real world, where I risk losing my job or my healthcare because of the misinformation surrounding being crazy. I can't make you change the phrasing, obviously! But I can ask you to reconsider it, so I am. c:

It's a fair point, and the sentiment came from my own reading on mental illness and how it can manifest both positively (yes, that's a real thing; read A First-Rate Madness) and negatively (The Psychopath Test, The Gift of Fear; all recommended reading). But yes, "twisted" was perhaps not the best choice of word. I'll fix that.
Reply Quote
Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
I LOVE YOU.
MARRY ME.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Hear, hear! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Much love to this post,
Lord Malus.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I LOVE YOU.
MARRY ME.

Uh... You don't have a jaw.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
What is a jawbone or two in the face of true love?

Also, kudos to you OP. It's always refreshing to see people drawing the line between IC and OOC interactions in criminal RP.
Edited by Varathil on 3/27/2013 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
*Waves hand*

I have questions~!

What is the definition of evil?
What if your alignment is several shades of black and white but mostly in-between?
What if you're not /objectively/ evil, but you follow the traits of it in the benefit of all?
Does doing evil things make you objectively evil?
Is not following the path of the Light, shamanism, or any sustained idealisms of Azeroth metagamey/godmodish?

Serious questions :<
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
*Waves hand*

I have questions~!

What if your alignment is several shades of black and white but mostly in-between?
What if you're not /objectively/ evil, but you follow the traits of it in the benefit of all?
Is not following the path of the Light, shamanism, or any sustained idealisms of Azeroth metagamey/godmodish?

In answer to your last question, I would say a character can believe whatever they choose. However, their choice may be wrong. This toon has strong opinions about Light and how it works. She is dead wrong.
Reply Quote
*Waves hand*

I have questions~!

In answer to your last question, I would say a character can believe whatever they choose. However, their choice may be wrong. This toon has strong opinions about Light and how it works. She is dead wrong.

Precisely what I was asking. I'm going to make a thread later tonight through the view of an SI:7 member later tonight on exactly what the Cult/Sect of The Broken Pact believes in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]