Asphyxiate or Chillblaines for Frost PvP

79 Human Death Knight
I was starting to get back into the game and I was wondering what you guys recommend for BG PvP Chillblaines or Asphyxiate and why?

Thanks for all posts!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Most players I see take chilblains.
Reply Quote
79 Human Death Knight
Most players I see take chilblains.

That's what I see as well, but Asphyxiate just seems so useful, half CD and a 5 sec stun, plus isn't it getting the CD reduced again next patch to 30sec?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
CB is generally preferred for BGs. Though they both have their uses, the snares and spammable roots is all too useful and will outweigh Asphyxiate 9/10 in the BG environment.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
plus isn't it getting the CD reduced again next patch to 30sec?

It already is 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
79 Human Death Knight
03/27/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Omegascope
plus isn't it getting the CD reduced again next patch to 30sec?

It already is 30 seconds.

Is it? Well then nevermind :P

CB is generally preferred for BGs. Though they both have their uses, the snares and spammable roots is all too useful and will outweigh Asphyxiate 9/10 in the BG environment.

That's what I thought it would be thanks a lot for answering my question!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Being able to stun someone on damn near every death grip is great and it is really nice if I am calling targets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Being able to stun someone on damn near every death grip is great and it is really nice if I am calling targets.

I'd imagine stunning their heals/peels would be a much better use of asphyxiate.. You aren't just calling targets, you're calling CC on other targets and that's why you have teammates never mind that any victim of a hard swap following a Grip like that will trink your stun. Anyways, OP is 62 and clearly talking about randoms..
Edited by Jínxs on 3/27/2013 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
79 Human Death Knight
03/27/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Jínxs

I'd imagine stunning their heals/peels would be a much better use of asphyxiate.. You aren't just calling targets, you're calling CC on other targets and that's why you have teammates never mind that any victim of a hard swap following a Grip like that will trink your stun. Anyways, OP is 62 and clearly talking about randoms..

While yes I am mostly talking about randoms because I don't have a lot of time to play the game, sadly school consumes most of my time right now, I was also curious about their status at high level
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/27/2013 03:54 PMPosted by Bleedthesky

While yes I am mostly talking about randoms because I don't have a lot of time to play the game, sadly school consumes most of my time right now, I was also curious about their status at high level

To answer your question then, the utility of chillbains still greatly outweighs Asphyxiate even at pvp levels far greater than mine when coupled with proper team play 99% of the time. Asphyxiate has its uses but those instances are much more rare and certainly not in the way that Grenade spoke of.
Reply Quote
79 Human Death Knight

To answer your question then, the utility of chillbains still greatly outweighs Asphyxiate even at pvp levels far greater than mine when coupled with proper team play 99% of the time. Asphyxiate has its uses but those instances are much more rare and certainly not in the way that Grenade spoke of.

Thank you very much for your in depth answer kind sir.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
asphixiate is way too strong to pass. in almost every situation its stronger than cb/da. but dont discount them they have their uses, against certain comps. icy touch dispell with cb is huge against anything because of reaping it really is a playstyle and who you play with. no stun in your comp? go asphyx. stun heavy? try cb. even in stun heavy comps asphyx is still extremely strong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
asphixiate is way too strong to pass. in almost every situation its stronger than cb/da. but dont discount them they have their uses, against certain comps. icy touch dispell with cb is huge against anything because of reaping it really is a playstyle and who you play with. no stun in your comp? go asphyx. stun heavy? try cb. even in stun heavy comps asphyx is still extremely strong.

Once again for you and anyone else who chose to read the title and literally nothing else, OP is talking about BGs and not arena(where Asphyxiate is MUCH stronger).
Edited by Jínxs on 3/27/2013 11:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Warlock
depends on which bg

flag maps both has their uses, prefer asphyxiate to stun heal
EoTS/temple = asphyxiate for kill
silvermine / soTA = CB for obvious reason
AB / BoG = CB spam prevent cap and snare same time

talent change is so easy in mop, there is no point just 'stick to 1 talent' the whole time
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
Once again for you and anyone else who chose to read the title and literally nothing else, OP is talking about BGs and not arena(where Asphyxiate is MUCH stronger).

He's also talking about Frost, which actually IS in the title.

The guy you quoted is obviously talking about Unholy, since he's referencing Icy Touch being on Reaping.

I was actually wondering the same question as the OP, but more for Arenas. I currently run w/ a druid healer, and we have no stuns. CB is extremely nice for peeling / kiting, but sometimes I just really wish I had a stun. : /
Edited by Machival on 3/29/2013 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I wouldn't pick asphyxiate even in arena. 1 CB is a constant slow for frost without having to waste runs constantly on spamming CoI. 2 DA helps our mobility which is the lowest in the game(asphyxiate doesn't do this). 3 you lose strang. 4 it drs with your ghoul stun and just about everyone and their mom has a stun now a days so you are very likely to DR it
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
I wouldn't pick asphyxiate even in arena. 1 CB is a constant slow for frost without having to waste runs constantly on spamming CoI. 2 DA helps our mobility which is the lowest in the game(asphyxiate doesn't do this). 3 you lose strang. 4 it drs with your ghoul stun and just about everyone and their mom has a stun now a days so you are very likely to DR it

If you were replying to me, I was talking exclusively about 2h Frost..

1) This is why I currently run Chilblains.

2) I would never pick DA as 2h Frost over CB or Asphyxiate.

3) Trivial against most teams. Whether they're stunned or silenced, they aren't casting. One of them just makes them not cast while also not doing anything else. It can also be used twice as often as the silence, and more importantly does not cost a death rune.

4) I don't have a ghoul stun as Frost... and my druid partner spec's Vortex, not Bash, so we don't have a stun at all on our 2s team. I know, lol2s.
Edited by Machival on 3/29/2013 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]