advice requested - parent of a roleplayer

90 Blood Elf Paladin
My daughter has started playing WoW again. At first we played a lot together, her on my second account. But she has discovered that she loves roleplaying, and roleplaying bores me (sorry, different strokes for different folks). I like dungeoning and questing and casual raiding, and she can't be bothered to optimize her character and gets stressed out and upset when she dies.

So she's looking at other servers, where Mom doesn't have a high level character to come bail her out. She's going Alliance, when I've been Horde most of my WoW career.

And here we came to the problem. Goldshire. I told her to make sure she didn't roll a character on Moon Guard, since I'd heard rumored that was where the roleplay that would make her uncomfortable was most prevalent. But she came complaining to me today that she went into Goldshire on Wyrmrest Accord and found a whole lot of people dueling in their underwear. Yeah, CRZ strikes again.

Is there a Goldshire somewhere on a roleplaying server that is safe for a 12 year old kid who doesn't want to encounter people doing adult things? Or does cross-ream-zoning make it NSFW on all the RP servers? Should I tell her to just stay away entirely?
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
I -think- Ravenholdt is not subject to CRZ like the other RP realms are - but I may be incorrect.

All other RP-PvE realms are linked, as are the RP-PvP ones. In case of the former, it means that you'll often get a lot of instances where Goldshire is overpopulated by the Moon Guard troll brigade. I couldn't say about the latter.

My advice would be to firstly confirm Ravenholdt's CRZ status, or to suggest to your daughter to knock out her early quests in another race's starter area. The rediculous overpopulation of RP trolls diminishes greatly once you hit higher level zones, and the ERP/troll brigade tends to stay confined to Goldshire, mercifully. So you just avoid it like the plague.
Edited by Seyl on 3/25/2013 6:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Well Ravenholdt will provide her some sanctuary but also opens her up to pvp griefing and if dying stresses her that might be a bad idea.

A better idea might be to go towards the dwarven leveling zones to avoid Goldshire.

You also might try inviting her to a party so she might be on your server to level in Goldshire. That will get her through that obnoxiousness for a bit as well.

Unfortunately, CRZ taints all of the RP servers and it is a common gripe of RPers about CRZ but we try to make the best of it in the mean time. A helpful guild could really get her through a lot of that area quickly. I'm not sure what guild to recommend on WrA but if you want, you can ask me on Cenarion Circle. I can point her to guilds within her interests and find people to help her learn the ropes of RPing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I love that younger people are getting interested in rp, but remember to tell her to state to people she is young. Also please have her get the rp add on called MyRolePlay and have her fill it out. It might require some editing and make sure she stresses on the flag part that she is a new rper (beginner) and that she is not an adult. The reason I say this is there are adults who use rp as an excuse to initiate cybersex. I know not all of them, but there are some. The responsible ones will ask a persons age. Tell her to be honest about it and not lie.

Ravenholdt is CRZ free and the hassles are not that bad unless you go looking for it. If she is questing and runs into trouble she can use the chat channel we have for rpers, and ask for help. It's /join rp.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ravenholdt does sound like a good place for her to go, but given what Izby said, and what you mentioned on her dieing and getting stressed out by it, it probably wont be the 'best' idea for her to go on a PVP server thanks to ganking and greifing. Depending on the race she likes, she can come to MG, as long as you mention to her not to go to Goldshire. What happens there stays there, and doesn't stretch out through the rest of the community, at least we have that to thank for.

I don't think I can say much more, for I don't want to sound like i'm telling a parent how to do their job, because it's their child. Moon Guard does have some great people, as long as you stay away from Elwynn Forest.

03/25/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Seyl
suggest to your daughter to knock out her early quests in another race's starter area.

This is also a really good idea. Probably get to a nice level like....say...40+ or more before perhaps Server changing her. That's my suggestion, good luck. /bow
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I suggest you have her level as a dwarf or gnome, or even as a draenei. The only place you will run into the Moonguard problems with the cyber crowd is the human area of Goldshire. It really does not take long to get through it, past level 10 or so and its pretty clear.

You do not state how mature your daughter is or if she is just dabbling in rp. I actually do not mind leveling through there, I just ignore the whispers and turn off /say and trade and general until I am in Westfall or Redridge. Really not much more there to worry about than she would find in school.

I think it is a parents job to stress to their children that there are all kinds of people in the world and if you shelter them too much they will not know how to handle life. Of course you ignore blatant advances by a player who is set on cybering, but its the same as if someone at school asked her to do it, except in the game you can ignore the person. Also remind her to never give out account information or home town, or anything personal. She can use the report feature as well, to report a person for language.
Reply Quote
This makes me curious about the existence of a family friendly RP guild. Does such a thing exist, and if not does anyone think it's a good idea?

I recall getting into stuff like this when I was young. I was bit older than 12, but I certainly wasn't comfortable with the creeps I ran into. I learned quickly how to get rid of them, but I can't say I'd want my kid to have to go through that.

I definitely love Ravenholdt myself. I can't say I've ever been ganked. In fact, I don't tend to run into others alot which means when I finally join a guild I expect they'll be the majority of the social interaction I get.

I'm still new there, though, so I can't say for sure.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Edited by Cenibuk on 7/6/2013 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
AD has a small RP population but is pretty ERP free.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you for your replies, everyone. This is an exercise in controlled independence, so I won't be playing a character to the realm she picks.

We did decide that I would give her one of my backup paladins (what, doesn't everyone have backup paladins?) who's in the mid-80s, with a name change and race change, so she can design the character from the creation screen.

We had a good long talk about /ignore, and how to handle virtual bullies. It's nice that the game gave us a safe context to initiate these conversations.

I appreciate the advice about MyRolePlay especially. We'll make sure it's set up correctly.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you for your replies, everyone. This is an exercise in controlled independence, so I won't be playing a character to the realm she picks.

We did decide that I would give her one of my backup paladins (what, doesn't everyone have backup paladins?) who's in the mid-80s, with a name change and race change, so she can design the character from the creation screen.

We had a good long talk about /ignore, and how to handle virtual bullies. It's nice that the game gave us a safe context to initiate these conversations.

I appreciate the advice about MyRolePlay especially. We'll make sure it's set up correctly.

Thanks again.

I wish you all the best of luck with it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You can check out Venture Co (RP/PVP). I have been here for almost 4 years and consider it my home.

There are guilds who have a family-friendly environment (ours for example, but we are horde and tauren-only--perhaps she'd like to play an honorable tauren?).

We are a lower population server, so everyone pretty much knows everyone here, and it can be a bit like a small town.

The pvp aspect could be a negative at times as she levels, but guilds here protect their members. Both sides have channels dedicated to calling out for help when the going gets rough. We are also not a CRZ realm, so you level in fairly clear zones.

You can contact me in game, if you like, and I can arrange for you to meet some of the GM's of the RP guilds on our server.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I've been on Ravenholdt for more than six years and I can tell you this: The only peeps you'll find in Goldshire is low level characters and maybe one 90. Occasionally, there are incursions by Horde, but not raid type groups.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My daughter has started playing WoW again. At first we played a lot together, her on my second account. But she has discovered that she loves roleplaying, and roleplaying bores me (sorry, different strokes for different folks). I like dungeoning and questing and casual raiding, and she can't be bothered to optimize her character and gets stressed out and upset when she dies.

So she's looking at other servers, where Mom doesn't have a high level character to come bail her out. She's going Alliance, when I've been Horde most of my WoW career.

And here we came to the problem. Goldshire. I told her to make sure she didn't roll a character on Moon Guard, since I'd heard rumored that was where the roleplay that would make her uncomfortable was most prevalent. But she came complaining to me today that she went into Goldshire on Wyrmrest Accord and found a whole lot of people dueling in their underwear. Yeah, CRZ strikes again.

Is there a Goldshire somewhere on a roleplaying server that is safe for a 12 year old kid who doesn't want to encounter people doing adult things? Or does cross-ream-zoning make it NSFW on all the RP servers? Should I tell her to just stay away entirely?

No, there isn't. However with a bit of supervision Goldshire should just be a blip on the map while she levels through Elwynn and then completely forgotten. There are thousands upon thousands of people who play in the Emberstorm battlegroup and only a tiny sliver of a fraction stop in Goldshire for anything other than questing.

There are other RP realms, obviously, but it seems to me all the popular ones where she'll actually find consistent RP are in the Emberstorm battelgroup--which includes Moon Guard and its awful Goldshire.

Despite the kind of content going on there the vast majority of its patrons are decent enough to keep it in party or whisper. Anybody who doesn't is probably trolling. Goldshire and Elwynn general chat probably won't contain any kind of language she hasn't already encountered in any given server's trade channel.

You can avoid Goldshire by choosing another server in another battlegroup, but then she may not be getting the game experience overall that she's looking for. With a bit of supervision you can help steer her out away from Goldshire, the rest of Moon Guard is just fine.

I would also ask her to /leave general as soon as she logs in, and only join it when she needs to find, say, help for a quest.
Edited by Eldevane on 3/29/2013 12:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
So far, on my server I havent encountered ANY ERP.

Only heard of it on my server in one case.

The RP-PVP CRZ is pretty clean. If she comes to Emerald Dream Ally side, RP is very active and is mainly within the Blu Recluse with RP events usually happening on the weekends. I would HIGHLY suggest Emerald Dream.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have to admit, this is kind of major issue and one I wish Blizzard would have taken into serious account before introducing CRZ (Which I can honestly say I despise with a fiery passion). I'm from Wyrmrest Accord and while I'm mostly Horde, I can say that I really miss our Goldshire before CRZ came along. But there has been some fairly good advice to consider here if Blizz doesn't see the light and abolish it. Her ignore list will likely be a helpful tool and leveling in other zones is a good idea. As for RP I would definitely look into Stormwind itself, especially the taverns like the Blue Recluse as one of the other posters suggested. If she is on WrA is looking for a guild I would personally recommend either The Eldritch Blades or the Embersea Accord. I was a member of those groups for awhile before I took a WoW break for a few months and I have to say I found them to be very welcoming and friendly and mature without delving into anything racy. And in fact, Embersea at least used to put on regular RP events when I was a member.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Something else I do want to say, being a mother myself. I would not let anyone under 17 play this game without adult supervision. Mainly because those formative years and peer pressure often get kids doing things they should not be thinking are ok to do.

Things like being rude to others, killing lower levels because they can, (pvp servers) and generally some of the things in game are very antisocial to begin with. Constant war, people going out of their way to be cruel and mean to others, making a deliberately evil character. All things that should be monitored and discussed.

More mature people can handle these things and are not taking these thoughts with them into real life. Role play can be a very rewarding experience, but far too often I see people becoming way too attached to their characters. Acting out scenes that would drop your jaw in shock.

I am not saying that video games are bad for young people, heck I love them and I do evil characters myself. I am just saying there is a time when someone is mature enough to handle that and a time when maybe you should wait until your child is more mature.

If a child is disturbed by the highly charged chance encounters on Moonguard that are suggestive and lewd, she is probably not mature enough to deal with the other facets of rp I have seen on every server. And I am not talking about the cyber jollies here, but the kidnappings, killing in general and the war between factions, the racism, tension and anger issues everywhere.

Are you sure you want your child to be doing these things or seeing them without supervision?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]