SW:TOR to merge APAC to US servers

100 Human Hunter
Such a fail from Bioware. Not only did they not listen to the consumers, they basicaly pushed us SW:TOR players back to playing WOW.

They don't seem to realize it's all about timezone and not ping.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6048072#post6048072
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Eh I'm just glad it's over. Went over there to check it out and see if I could help out their struggling APAC community but it was all in vain.
Reply Quote
43 Pandaren Monk
I'm so glad there's a dedicated thread to this! I eagerly await it being dropped as a mechanism for propping up the argument that Blizzard should have servers in Australia.

In fact, this should be a beacon, a reminder of how puny and insignificant Australians and the Oceanic populous is in general. So much so, that whenever a company foolishly does set up servers here to placate the masses, it collapses into a steaming heap.

Right behind Warhammer. I look forward to the newly announced LoL servers following suit.

Blizzard didn't get to where they are today by making stupid, ill-informed business decision or pandering to the fads. They have a business plan, they stick to it and Australian servers aren't part of it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
um ok. looks like this community is still having issues aswell huh? oh well back to console gaming for me :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
You can't use SW:TOR as a viability example for Australian WoW servers. The playerbase are mountains apart in size.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Oceanic gamers were treated badly from the beginning. US players on the unofficial Oceanic realms made pariahs of Oceanic players from launch. General chat was rife with racial slurs and the 'battle of the hemispheres' raged fiercely for months. When we were given APAC servers, we were given the choice to re-roll from scratch on them or wait over a month with 700+ ping and until our favourite toon names and legacy names had all been taken for free transfers.

Despite all that, all 3x APAC servers remained in the Top 5 most populated servers for almost a year. We are actually a large and loyal gamer-base.

Anyone who played SW:TOR would know that ridiculous travel times; a GTN that wasn't searchable; the worst pvp class balance in history; game breaking bugs that took weeks to fix; and lack of the ever-promised and never delivered 6-weekly content updates killed SW:TORs initial influx of subscribers.

Bioware's subsequent focus on re-coding the game as F2P (more accurately P2W) instead of providing more than 15 raid bosses and 4 battlegrounds in an 18-month period killed APAC servers.

Because we are large and loyal AND sophisticated gamers too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
^ This, they took so very long to release their game saving "rated battlegrounds", but by the time they were released, 90% of the subs had left because of the rediculous wait and ever growing list of excuses every week on why the battlegrounds hadn't been released yet.

The APAC servers were very populated for a very long time, but bioware/EA's way on running and releasing content, delivered that fatal blow to it's ugly head.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm so glad there's a dedicated thread to this! I eagerly await it being dropped as a mechanism for propping up the argument that Blizzard should have servers in Australia.

Missing the point, YumCha: Bioware proved it could be done. Bioware had Aussie servers, which Blizzard says cant be done AT ALL.

Reason APAC is moving US is because the game devs screwed the pooch and nothing to do with the gamers population.

Despite all that, all 3x APAC servers remained in the Top 5 most populated servers for almost a year. We are actually a large and loyal gamer-base.

Missed this, did we?

Oops.
Edited by Mirisanelle on 3/27/2013 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
http://delimiter.com.au/2010/07/23/blizzard-unlocks-us-starcraft-ii-servers-for-australians/

At the last minute, video game giant Blizzard Entertainment has reversed an unpopular decision to block Australians from being able to play its upcoming StarCraft II game on American servers. The company had been facing a wave of dissent from Australian players furious about its original decision to block local gamers from playing against their friends overseas by locking them into playing through a new server in Singapore set up to serve the South-East Asian region as a whole.

So they can set up an Oceanic server in Singapore for StarCraft, but not for WOW. I fiond it interesting that Blizz has said they cant put servers for WOW in Oceania at all..but hello, whats this?

While we still encourage gamers to play on the local servers, which will offer lower latency and more action during peak hours, we recognize that many players have longstanding friendships and rivalries with North American players, and would like to continue playing with them. Because of this, we’re giving Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand gamers access to both regions’ servers, so they can choose where they’d prefer to play.”
Edited by Mirisanelle on 3/28/2013 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Eh personally I have resigned to the fact that Australia will never hold a strong presence in MMOs.

Maybe if we got along with some of our closer overseas neighbors it could happen in the future. But the APAC community doesn't seem to gel well enough to make it work in my opinion.

I've played WoW since BC and SWtOR since the APAC launch and now I'm am finally over MMO's. Good luck to you die hards still pushing for Aussie MMO servers though.

2013 is going to be an exciting year for gaming. I'm not sure what game to focus on 1st :P

It won't be WoW or SWtOR anymore though.

Peace out.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I'm glad this is actually being addressed here tbh.
Just found out about their decision to shut down all APAC servers due to low server populations. And judging by their forums, it sounds like their player-base are all for the move somehow :-\.

There is currently a petition going around to have the decision to merge all 3 APAC servers with selected northern American servers revoked, and leave but one APAC server for those of us who wish to continue playing with a normal ping, but I highly doubt it will have any effect.
Reply Quote
53 Night Elf Rogue
Apparently every game out there has the ability to merge servers except WOW US/EU. If they cared about their customer base, they would follow suit. They could easily cut the number of servers in half. Within a year, that number will climb to 2/3. 400+ servers is ridiculous.

WOW has seen server mergers in Taiwan, Korea, and China. It can be done, but they don't want to give up the $25.00 transfer fee, so it will never happen.

Right now, on my server, there is less then 100 players (alliance) and perhaps 30 to 50 that are still active. The AH is totally dead. Nothing there.

Oh well, if I stick with it, I might have a whole server to myself. Can we get a new achievement introduced ?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk

In fact, this should be a beacon, a reminder of how puny and insignificant Australians and the Oceanic populous is in general.

Theres more Oceanic WoW players than virtually any other sub based mmo out there.

Warhammer and SW:TOR wouldnt have closed Oceanic servers if there were players still using them.

This - clearly when the games were released it was predicted they were going to be a success and therefore oceanic servers possible. In fact the oceanic servers existed as a draw card to gain extra customers/encourage switching from WoW.

The closing of oceanic servers was not a matter of their viability but rather that the games failed across the board.

Planetside 2 is still rocking Aussie servers with I think Internode being the host. I don't expect those servers to be going away anytime soon as well. If it's viable for Planetside 2 it is going to be even more viable for WoW.

Our best chance of oceanic servers is to have the bulk (90% or higher) of the oceanic players quit WoW citing lag and lack of oceanic servers. Blizzard would have an "Oh faeces" response and have local oceanic servers up within a month to regain that revenue stream.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]