Guildie Having Trouble

100 Human Death Knight
Hi Folks. I run a casual raiding guild with a group of friends. Some with a great deal of innate talent and some with... less. We have a good time but when we run into a serious deficiency that hinders our progress, I try to do what I can to do some extra parsing and research to find the problem. Sometimes it can be a very simple thing that they are missing (Shaman forgetting to put on lightning shield, Rogue forgetting to turn off Blade Flurry, etc).

Specifically I have a Ret pally friend who is having a really hard time. I did some poking around when he was lower geared (he is ilevel 491 now) and found that proportionately his damage seemed to be similar to higher random pallies that I used for comparison, but doing much less damage per attack than they were. He is up to ilevel 491 now and it hasnt seemed to make much of a difference. He did great damage in Dragonsoul but maybe that was just the nature of the boss fights or the Ret dps, because since MoP he has been reliably low, often below my tank (Blood DK).

If any of you have some time on this lovely maintenance day, to drop a few tips or look at our most recent logs for him and see something glaring, I would be most appreciative. Here are some Logs for the month of march

His name is Chipstock on US-Thunderhorn.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1w9ty1qa6v7tn6wo/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/455jzf2ema9qt21q/

I do know he has the set shoulders for tank on, hopefully he will be getting this changed tonight. He picked the wrong ones last night in haste, just looking at the Exp/Mastery stats instead of the set bonus.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Find out what trinket he was using before vortex. For the ilvl, it's a fairly bad trinket. DMC Xuen is better, normal Lei Shin or 2/2 LFR Lei Shin are better and all of them are much easier to line up with ES. Vortex does absolutely nothing for ES.

The problem he's actually having is he's using the wrong seal, and he's ONLY using that seal. His inquisition is also fairly low, in one instance it's not even 20%, but most of the time it's around 70%. 70% is pretty low and inquisition is really one of our largest single sources of damage.

On the Lei Shin fight in the last log, he had 68% inquisition uptime. Just getting that up to 90%, even counting using the wrong seal, would have raised his damage by more than 10%, and using the right seal would have been even more.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Yeah, bad trinkets (Op:SWall trink is also really bad for Ret despite its item level), wrong Seal, poor upkeep on Inquisition. Key factors. Also, no Ret set bonuses. Even with the change to 4pT14, it's a strong set bonus and his damage is hurting for not having it. His haste is also really low for that average item level of gear, but I think that's just due to bad itemization of the gear he has.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Some thoughts:

One thing I noticed immediately was the poor/inconsistent uptime on Inquisition. Ideally, Inquisition should be active 100% of the time, but in practice it's reasonable to expect 80% to 90% uptime from a good player. According to Icy Veins, this spell is our top priority bar none. Your friend has very inconsistent uptime of this buff; it seems to vary from around 15% to around 60%.

Your friend is using Seal of Righteousness instead of Seal of Truth, which is only advisable against eight or more targets. The boss encounters you're facing are all basically single-target, so this is a DPS loss.

Your friend casts his DPS cooldowns (Avenging Wrath, Holy Avenger, and Guardian of Ancient Kings) very sparingly. For example, in the HoF log he only casts GoAK twice over the course of eleven pulls! This spell should be cast at least once per pull.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Your friend casts his DPS cooldowns (Avenging Wrath, Holy Avenger, and Guardian of Ancient Kings) very sparingly. For example, in the HoF log he only casts GoAK twice over the course of eleven pulls! This spell should be cast at least once per pull.

I didn't even notice that. :|

If he's not using cooldowns.. he's never going to do very good damage. Pretty much every other execution sentence should be done with AW, and because he is using helmbreaker medallion, every execution sentence should be cast with it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Those are very helpful, thank you all very much. I may see if I can get with him and set up some aura's and macros to automate some of those things together and either an aura or tracking addon to help him figure out when Inquisition is coming off soon.

I am also thinking at least initially about having him glyph for Inquisition until he gets more comfortable with keeping that up more. I know its not ideal but might be a good stopgag for now.

Thank you again and if someone else notices something I am glad for the extra help :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Those were two big things I noticed too.

1.) Inquisition - keep it up, all times, no excuse. CLCRet is a good addon that will help with this, but I prefer Bittens Spellflash. It works better for me. Tell him to try both and see which works better for him.

2.) Seal - he seems to be using Righteousness instead of Truth. I noticed this because there was no damage information from Censure which should be in his top 3 damage outputs.

3.) On the Garalon fight specifically - he's standing in crap. No way he should have that much damage taken from pheramones unless he is being used to kite.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]