Information about the Highlands Council

These posts will contain all the information as it comes in about the new Highland council. Be patient as I am human and can not write everything at once!

The Highlands Council

The council is a place for the Nobility to come together and rebuild our ravaged Kingdom. Its primary purpose is to decide upon matters of import concerning the Kingdom, be they the introduction of laws, the defense of the realm or otherwise. This is the House of Nobles. Everyone on the Council has an equal vote, regardless of their noble rank. The only person who does not get an outright vote is the Regent, as she stands in place as a moderator. This helps create some balance, to prevent people from voting one way just to find the Regent’s favor, or another just to spite her. The goal is to focus on what is best for the people (Or your own noble class, depending on what type of person you are).

Questions: How do I join the council?

A: You play an Arathi Noble that owns land in the Highlands and has people to govern. You can not simply own land and have no people. You can be a noble that is currently displaced and will eventually have people if the land is reclaimed.

Q: What if I don’t like the voting? Can I be angry about it?

A: Sure you could, but if you make a scene, you’ll be removed. The key to keeping a flowing council and healthy environment for everyone involved. It won’t do anyone any good to stand around and yell at once another. Debating can happen and is not discouraged, as long as it stays with the flow of the Council. Don’t speak over people, don’t interrupt, wait your turn to ask questions, be an adult. We can’t have every meeting ending in a sword fight just because you didn’t like how the voting went. Losing your side is something that can and will happen when you join a council. If you break the flow, you’ll be removed by the guardians of the council. Charges can and will be brought up if issues continue. But remember, this is a safety net here, just to prevent people from not acting like adults.
Q: What will be brought up during a meeting?

A: Things that have been previously submitted to the council for review. That means, if you want a law introduced, to appeal for aid, or to show up naked and talk about it, you have to submit your topic before the meeting begins. This should be done on normal days, at least a day before so that the topics can be put in some idea of order and reviewed in good time. If there are simply too many topics to discuss that evening, some will be broken up for other days, as the meetings are not intended to drag on for hours.

Q. What’s all this defense stuff? Do we have to vote on who gets help?

A. No, if you bring up a defense matter and want aid, bring up your case. The other people are free to pledge help if they can afford to. All of the Highlands needs help, so getting help to each place takes time.

Q. What if I need to think about the law before I vote?

A. That’s perfectly fine. All laws will not go into effect until the following week. You have until the set date of that next week to put in your vote. You can not change your vote, so be sure of your vote before you give it. The options are, For, Against, or Unknown. If you -don’t- vote by the set day, the law will go on without you. This prevents people from stalling on forever.
Edited by Hellissa on 3/26/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Q: I don’t have all day for council meetings, how long are these?

A: They will have an absolute set time. Once that time is up, the meeting will be concluded and whatever is left will have to wait. No last minute voting will be forced, as we want each person to have a chance to debate the fluff of the law if they need to. We are looking at anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 hours.

Q: Who else can attend?
A: The Noble. No weapons will be allowed inside the room. There will be armed guards posted outside the meeting. If you bring a guard, they must stand outside the room. If you have an assistant, they also must be unarmed. You may have one of those. Only the noble may speak, and the floor must be given by the Regent. If the noble can not make it, their assistant can stand in for them, but can not vote. The votes must be given later in the week by the noble.

Q: I don’t want you to be regent, I’m not interested in a leader for Arathi.

A: Perfectly fine. We will not be governing your roleplay if you decide you want to do something different. We won’t be taking your land, nor telling your people what to do. You are free to play as you wish, and we aren’t interested in making people play to a story.

Q: Alright, I changed my mind, I want to be involved. What now?

A: Respond, write me a letter, let me know. Whisper, shout, however you want to. Roleplay with us because you want to unify Arathi. Or because you want to secretly puppet the council and get all the votes in your pocket. It doesn’t matter why you want to, only that you want to.
A few key reminders here: This is all roleplay. IC stays IC, and OOC communication is a good thing. We are writing a group story here, so we want the experience to be good for everyone.

Q. What if I don't want these laws to be a part of my land, even if they were passed?

A. All laws are merely a suggestion, to provide unity in the Highlands. We are absolutely not in the business of controlling you, nor the land you have worked so hard to make. The laws will be in effect for "common areas." The roleplay is not focused on control. Not now, not ever.

House of Commoners to follow! Don’t worry Commoners, you are not forgotten!
Edited by Hellissa on 3/27/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
House of Commoners:

The purpose of the House of Commoners is to give the common people a place to discuss their own problems and desires for change. At the end of the meeting, all the suggestions for change will be collected and presented for the House of Nobles to review. Because the class of commoners is not yet educated and many unable to read, it is for the best that the system remain tiered.

The House of Commoners is free to discuss their own major problems that concern them, such as work orders for various areas, what changes they’d like to see done, and to petition for their own wants and desires. A moderator will sit and take notes of all the various things agreed upon to submit to the Noble Council.

Q. How do I join THIS council?

A. You must be an Arathi citizen. You don’t need land, a home or a job. That’s alright. This house will be in the business of helping you find those things. You can find a new land to call home and a new leader to love!

Q. Is there voting? The last council had voting.

A. There is, to a lesser extent. This House has less things that they actually need to vote on. You can’t really vote on who needs a job, or what issues are around. You can vote to submit the requests that go upward. This is more a forum to discuss problems and find solutions.

Q. Well, can I be angry here? We are commoners after all, and we like to riot.

A. No, if you come to this forum, you need to act like an adult too. The Moderator is not a lion tamer and should not be required to bring order to the council every five minutes. If you have an issue, you’ll submit it to the council and if your idea is called out, you’ll be called forward to speak on it. People can question from there, by not blurting out things at random. If you are a problem, you’ll be asked to leave.

Q. Well, these sound a lot bigger, are they going to take all day?

A. Nope, they too will have a set time. From 1.5 to 2 hours. Then the meeting will stop, notes will finish up, and everyone can eat a feast before they go. Commoners get hungry.

Q. Do we get armed protection too?

A. No weapons will again be allowed in the room. Armed guards will be posted outside. This is to protect you, and of course, the moderator.

Q. Alright, how do I get involved in this one?

A. Same way you could have gotten involved with the first. Respond, ask questions, write letters. Dive right in.

Q. This doesn’t sound like we have a lot of power. You said equality!

A. Things take time. If people aren’t educated about the problems, then they can’t be expected to know the best solution. Now, I’m assuming as you are playing a commoner, that your commoner didn’t get a lot of schooling, that they aren’t some master-leader, and that they -don’t know- the issues. They -don’t know- the best solution, and they -don’t know- all the issues present with fixing the problem.

Everything is as always, a work in progress. Things don’t change overnight. People can’t suddenly become enlightened and know exactly how to run their own life when they've been lead all their lives by someone else.

Point here is to still have fun, to have more events to attend, and to reach more people.
Edited by Hellissa on 3/27/2013 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This space is reserved for information about laws that have been recently accepted, changes made, and people that are involved.
Edited by Hellissa on 3/26/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This space is for major events in the area that will be announced, such as RP-PVP events. Look for that information here!
Edited by Hellissa on 3/26/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The first meeting has been scheduled! Please send your letters to Melysa for information about the time and location of the meeting. (IC of course.)
Edited by Hellissa on 3/29/2013 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'll be there!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This sounds like the red wedding waiting to happen.
Reply Quote
I'll be there!

A: You play an Arathi Noble that owns land in the Highlands and has people to govern.
Edited by Melysa on 3/26/2013 3:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm a little confused.

If all people are equal, then why do nobles have special privileges?
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm a little confused.

Some are more equal than others.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
03/26/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Melysa
I'll be there!

A: You play an Arathi Noble that owns land in the Highlands and has people to govern.

Ferenold is an Arathi noble. He was granted land in the highlands.
Reply Quote
I'm a little confused.

People are totally misinterpreting Hellissa's initial statement and her desire for the future. None of the changes stated in that other thread have actually taken place yet, as the council has yet to meet for the first time and vote on them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
People are totally misinterpreting Hellissa's initial statement and her desire for the future. None of the changes stated in that other thread have actually taken place yet, as the council has yet to meet for the first time and vote on them.

I'm not misinterpreting anything. What I'm saying is that if the goal of this council, which has been stated several times, is to equalize the social roles of Arathor, then doesn't a system built entirely on lordship seem nonsensical?
Reply Quote
I'm not misinterpreting anything. What I'm saying is that if the goal of this council, which has been stated several times, is to equalize the social roles of Arathor, then doesn't a system built entirely on lordship seem nonsensical?

You make an excellent point, but... That is not the goal of the council by any stretch of the imagination. Those are Hellissa's individual goals. Each Noble on the council is different and laws that place commoners on the same footing as Nobility will not likely pass. It's a case of an idealist trying to push these things forward that will undoubtedly be shot down by the Nobility.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Kauthryn

The simple answer is, No matter how much Hellissa wants those changes to happen, she can't just take everyone else's power away from them and say, "Too bad, you are equal now."

There'd be a full on rebellion. Hellissa's vision of the future is not the vision that will be. She is not a dictator, and thus can not change things alone. The House of Commoners to come will help balance things a little better and give the common class room to grow into leadership positions. It gives them a chance to vote and offer real change too.

The system can't be turned upside down in a day, and they may never change at all. A good foundation has to be built in order for change to happen at all.

When I update the House of Commoners, it will show what power they will have, but it won't be taking away from the people who are already in charge. The noble class isn't dying just because Hellissa doesn't like when people don't care about their citizens.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Lord Darion Havenport looked over the letter that was returned to him by his eldest son, Strong Havenport. He sat as his desk, with three of his sons in the room -- Strong, Gaerret, and Brandon. All were clad in their armor. "There is to be a council." Darion said after several moments of silence.

Strong stepped up. "I will represent us, father. I am to be Earl one day, so this matter must fall to me. You cannot go outside the walls of Havenport." Darion waved him off.

"One of the things to being a good Earl is sending others in your place when the need arises, Strong. You must not always represent the golden anchor of Havenport. You must allow your brothers..." He motioned to Gaerret and Brandon. "To also represent you, lest they get angsty and challenge your rule." He looked at Gaerret. "You will go, my second son. You have long been a steward, let us see what you are able to do at this Council. You have my blessing to represent us."

Gaerret nodded. "I shall represent us, father." He bowed his head to his older brother. "And one day, you, when you become Earl." Darion waved them all out.

The House of Havenport would soon be part of the politics again.
Reply Quote
Added the house of commoners, and a bolded addition to the Noble section.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Q. What if I don't want these laws to be a part of my land, even if they were passed?

A. All laws are merely a suggestion, to provide unity in the Highlands. We are absolutely not in the business of controlling you, nor the land you have worked so hard to make. The laws will be in effect for "common areas." The roleplay is not focused on control. Not now, not ever.

What exactly are these 'common areas' that will be governed by the laws, in the scope of the roleplay community at large? That is to say - are you in the process of this council claiming to rule 'Arathi except for the specific lands of those who do not want to be involved'? Or perhaps will such laws only apply on the lands of those that do wish to be involved an no where else?

I suppose what I am trying to gauge is how much power and reach you are giving this council in 'terms of story'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]