Information about the Highlands Council

90 Human Paladin
The first meeting of the house of Nobles has been scheduled to take place next week. It's been a pleasure roleplaying with all those who have shown interest and we look forward to seeing you at the meetings. If you have not already done so and wish to be part of the house of Nobles, please contact my character via in-game letter with the following information:

* Character name
* Title
* Name of holdings (In the Arathi Highlands)

Alternatively, you may post an IC letter here in this thread. Once you are registered, you'll receive a calendar invite and be informed of the location. Melysa will also be available in-game to answer any IC questions regarding the house of Nobles.

I've sent you a letter for Lord Darion Havenport, and who he will be represented by.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/30/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Kazgal
This sounds like the red wedding waiting to happen.

I know this is a late quote, but this made me sad.

:c

No game of Thrones spoilers! Hellissa hasn't read the books yet.
Reply Quote
I have not. I will eventually. I promise. Maybe even watch the show. I didn't even start supernatural until it was in season seven. I'm slow at these things.
Reply Quote
I'm sending a letter tonight, once I get back from work. Politickin.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think I've got letters from just about everyone. If anyone else needs to meet Mel IC, It's going to have to be on Monday, as I'm going to have a house full of people tomorrow evening and then it's the season premiere of Game of Thrones, so we all know what I'll be doing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The first meeting of the house of Nobles will take place this evening. Invites have gone out to those characters we have spoken with, so be sure to check your calendar. The meeting's location will be given fifteen minutes before it is scheduled to start.

Reminders:

1. As stated in the rules, no weapons shall be allowed inside the meeting.

2. Nobles participating in the meeting may bring one assistant.

3. All guardsmen, Knights and other soldiery must remain outside.

4. Guards will be posted outside the door to ensure the safety of those Nobles participating.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Revised by the Countess of Seastone and delivered by hand to each of the members of the house of Nobles.

Rights of the Commonwealth

Right to Trial
Where before, citizens could be convicted and punished for crimes without trial, citizens will now have the right to be tried by a magistrate or Council appointed official.

The Right to Lawful Assembly - The House of Commons
Lawful assembly is defined as the citizens right to gather peacefully within the city limits of Stromgarde with the purpose of bringing forth their concerns to the house of Commons.

Any meeting of three or more persons outside the house of commons may constitute an unlawful assembly if the persons have an illegal purpose or if the meeting will breach the public peace of the community.

If they should execute said purpose, they will have committed the criminal offense of riot. Those gathered may also be held guilty of Sedition, if they should incite or encourage, through spoken or written word, rebellion against Stromgarde's government, or Agents of the Crown.

There is no automatic right of citizens to gather in protest against authority just because they might remain peaceful while doing so. Would-be protesters are advised to try and frame their protest as a petition, via the house of Commons.

Right of Petition
The right to petition the Council via the house of commons, or any of its appointed servants, in the hope of them being addressed.

Rights of the Nobility

Protection from Unreasonable Search and Seizure
Nobles shall not have their persons, estates or other properties searched or seized without a warrant from the Council, signed by the Regent's own hand.

Trial by a Jury of Peers
Nobles have the right, in serious offences, to demand to be tried by a jury of other nobles.

Right to Trial By Combat
Nobles may demand and be granted a trial by combat and appoint a Champion of their choosing. The trial by combat will be held in public, within the walls of Stromgarde and at a safe distance from any onlookers.

Rights of the Accused
Nobles have the right to be treated well during their arrest and the entire process of justice. They shall not be bound, nor subjected to physical abuses beyond what is required to take them into custody.

Right of Bail
Nobles cannot be imprisoned before being found guilty of any charges against them. They are always bailed pending trial. Bail is to be secured against their titles and holdings, meaning that the noble in question will forfeit all titles, lands and goods if he or she does not appear at trial.
Edited by Melysa on 4/4/2013 10:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
An additional proposal, meant to deal with the presence of corruption within the Nobility of the highlands

Malfeasance in Office

A Noble may be charged and convicted guilty of Malfeasance, if:

I. He/she is employed

(a) In an official capacity by the Kingdom of Stromgarde, or

(b) In the discharge of some legal or public duty; and

while so employed, he/she should use his/her position to cause a breach in the Kingdom's peace.

Should sufficient evidence be found to charge a Noble with malfeasance in office, he/she will be tried by a jury of his/her peers and if convicted, may be stripped of all ranks, titles and holdings.

Bribery

A Noble may be charged and convicted of Bribery, if:

* He/she knowingly offers, gives, receives or solicits any item of value, and in order to influence the actions of a person who holds a position of government.

If convicted of bribery, a Noble may be stripped of all ranks, titles and holdings.

A proposition to construct and staff a "Church of Stromgarde"

To ensure the prosperity and spiritual guidance of the citizens of Stromgarde; I, Melysa of the house Marwyn, Countess of Seastone do hereby propose that we, the nobility of the highlands pool our resources to construct and staff a church of Stromgarde. The Church of Stromgarde shall be organized in the same manner as the Church of the Holy Light, following the Holy Rule as outlined by Count Manstein von Faulkenburg Judicial Vicar the College of Canons in the attached document and its Clergy to be trained and ordained by the Church of the Holy Light. (Follow the link. All credit goes to its author, Manstein.) https://sites.google.com/site/clergybooks/seminary-texts/the-holy-rule-canon-law

Furthermore, to ensure that the church and its instruments remain pure and true servants of the Holy Light, I propose the following restriction upon its Clergy:

1. Clergy members shall neither seek, nor hold any title, position of office in government or holdings outside that which is granted them by the church itself.
Edited by Melysa on 4/4/2013 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

To ensure the prosperity and spiritual guidance of the citizens of Stromgarde; I, Melysa of the house Marwyn, Countess of Seastone do hereby propose that we, the nobility of the highlands pool our resources to construct and staff a church of Stromgarde. The Church of Stromgarde shall be organized in the same manner as the Church of the Holy Light, following the Holy Rule as outlined by Count Manstein von Faulkenburg Judicial Vicar the College of Canons in the attached document and its Clergy to be trained and ordained by the Church of the Holy Light. (Follow the link. All credit goes to its author, Manstein.) https://sites.google.com/site/clergybooks/seminary-texts/the-holy-rule-canon-law

Furthermore, to ensure that the church and its instruments remain pure and true servants of the Holy Light, I propose the following restriction upon its Clergy:

1. Clergy members shall neither seek, nor hold any title, position of office in government or holdings outside that which is granted them by the church itself.

Did this proposition end up going through the system? Moorwhelp would be very interested in hearing about this by some means.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Did this proposition end up going through the system? Moorwhelp would be very interested in hearing about this by some means.

Nobles who are part of the council have been given a copy of the proposals, we have not yet discussed them in a meeting of the house. The process is the same as Hellissa outlined, whereby a member of the council has to submit a proposal before the date of the next meeting in order for it to be considered new business.

Melysa intends to speak with Moorwhelp and/or Manstein about it before the next meeting and you'll both be receiving an IC letter very soon.
Edited by Melysa on 4/5/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
47 Gnome Warrior
I really like this idea.

Tinkle, however, cannot participate.

She will set off fireworks however in celebration!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Nikephoros and the Dead Alteracians Club disapprove.

In all seriousness, though, good luck. Hope it works out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

All of it looks great, but does this section cut the church out of representation in the House of Lords?
Edited by Manstein on 4/6/2013 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Human Warrior
Proposals put forth by Lord Spiritual and Lord-Vicar of the Sacred College of Canons, Erich Manstein, Count of Eastvale.

Proposal for the Revision of Voting Procedure

HEREIN does the Lord Spiritual and representative of the Sacred College of Canons propose that the current method of casting intent be immediately altered. Whereas the previous method called for secret written ballot to the Regent, the procedure should thusly be changed to allow for immediate vocal and public casting of votes.

It is the belief of the Lord Spiritual that, as a House of Lords, that the casting of secret ballots undermines the very nature of those that make up its polity, themselves being persons of noble birth who, by virtue of their station, are chosen precisely for their ability to stand openly by their beliefs and words.

Proposal for the Establishment of the Office of the Lord Speaker

HEREIN does the Lord Spiritual and representative of the Sacred College of Canons propose that the House of Lords, as constituted by the presiding Regent, requires further articles of organization. It is thusly the recommendation of the Lord Spiritual that the House adopt a resolution to create the post of Lord Speaker.

The duties of the Lord Speaker would include:
• The organization of House meetings.
• The management of the House docket of affairs.
• The maintenance of order within the House.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]