Edited by Suriyel on 3/28/2013 7:31 AM PDT
90 Worgen Death Knight
So glad they are gone !

..why?
90 Human Warlock
03/28/2013 07:23 AMPosted by Mauden
So glad they are gone !

..why?

People are having badwrongfun because they are out doing stuff instead of spending all that time and effort getting to someplace to do something.
It took me 15 minutes to run from the dock in Borean Tundra to the Bottom of Dalaran last night, with a 100% ground mount at level 47.

That's with 8 deaths on the way.

This is a non-issue. Most zones can be crossed within 2 minutes with a 100% ground mount.

2 MINUTES. Stop complaining that you can't auto-fly there to save yourself 120 seconds.

Edit: And yes I learned that I cannot, in fact, get up to Dalaran at level 47 without having been there before.
Edited by Nukeus on 3/28/2013 7:46 AM PDT
90 Human Warlock
03/28/2013 07:40 AMPosted by Plizzex
People are having badwrongfun because they are out doing stuff instead of spending all that time and effort getting to someplace to do something.

wut?

No...I'm level 40 on my priest...and you decide to gank me on your hunter/mage ? ? well guess what...as soon as I rez I will find you a lot quicker versus having to hunt you down because you have been given a freebie ticket to go places.

You'd never find me regardless of the flight points. Blizz doesn't pay me enough to play on a PvP server.
Community Manager
We’ve seen a bit of confusion over the removal of automatic flight path discovery for characters leveling in patch 5.2, so here’s some background on the whole series of events that lead to where we are.

Players have always been required to visit a Flight Master in order to unlock transportation to and from that location. We’ve always viewed this as a fundamental element of exploration in World of Warcraft. Players should feel like they’re in a massive world with vast continents to explore and thousands of adventures to embark upon (because there are!).

With Cataclysm, every zone in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms was changing, flight points were moving, being added or removed, and we needed to make sure people didn’t log in to find they were missing large portions of their flight points. To solve this, characters exploring the world below level 80 were given every flight point automatically to ensure no edge-cases were missed. It was supposed to be a one-time changeover in the old-to-new world transition to resolve what could be numerable bugs due to the vastly altered landscape in the expansion. However, when the change went in, we didn’t realize it was implemented in a way that would affect all characters forever. When we found out it just wasn’t an immediate priority to fix. We began implementing new tech in 5.1 and (more completely) 5.2 to resolve it.

We understand it was very convenient, but it wasn’t an intended change for flight path discovery forever. Over the course of patch 5.1 and 5.2, we implemented new functionality to remedy the original implementation issues. We’ve improved our tech in a way that allows us to remember what flight points a character has discovered, or determine what paths a character should/shouldn’t know on a case-by-case basis. In some cases you’re provided flight points when we’ve determined a character’s foreknowledge of them is important to the experience, but in most cases you will need to brave the wilds, seek out adventure, and visit a Flight Master before you can unlock flight to and from that location.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/28/2013 1:43 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
And you didn't tell us this ahead of time because?

Cheers.

Cheers.

They didn't have to? Especially on something as innocuous as having to visit flight masters again. It's not like they rolled back your valor.
Edited by Terriana on 3/28/2013 1:32 PM PDT
We’ve seen a bit of confusion over the removal of automatic flight path discovery for characters leveling in patch 5.2, so here’s some background on the whole series of events that lead to where we are.

Players have always been required to visit a Flight Master in order to unlock transportation to and from that location. We’ve always viewed this as a fundamental element of exploration in World of Warcraft. Players should feel like they’re in a massive world with vast continents to explore and thousands of adventures to embark upon (because there are!).

With Cataclysm, every zone in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms was changing, flight points were moving, being added or removed, and we needed to make sure people didn’t log in to find they were missing large portions of their flight points. To solve this, characters exploring the world below level 80 were given every flight point automatically to ensure no edge-cases were missed. It was supposed to be a one-time changeover in the old-to-new world transition to resolve what could be numerable bugs due to the vastly altered landscape in the expansion. However, when the change went in, we didn’t realize it was implemented in a way that would affect all characters forever. When we found out it wasn’t an immediate priority, and we began implementing new tech in 5.1 and (more completely) 5.2.

We understand it was very convenient, but it wasn’t an intended change for flight path discovery forever. Over the course of patch 5.1 and 5.2, we implemented new functionality to remedy the original implementation issues. We’ve improved our tech in a way that allows us to remember what flight points a character has discovered, or determine what paths a character should/shouldn’t know on a case-by-case basis. In some cases you’re provided flight points when we’ve determined a character’s foreknowledge of them is important to the experience, but in most cases you will need to brave the wilds, seek out adventure, and visit a Flight Master before you can unlock flight to and from that location.

Thanks for the info, Bashiok.

You will, inevitably, be raged at for this change, but I understand it why it was done, and it makes a lot of sense. Having all the flight paths right away completely eliminates the need for exploration, which would denigrate the leveling (or other) experience.

Thanks for updating the community and keep up the good work :)
90 Worgen Rogue
All I know is every single alt Im leveling from now on is gona level exclusevely trough dungeons, theres no way Im walking on foot from stormwind to the Plaguelands...
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
You will, inevitably, be raged at for this change, but I understand it why it was done, and it makes a lot of sense. Having all the flight paths right away completely eliminates the need for exploration, which would denigrate the leveling (or other) experience.

^This
90 Pandaren Hunter

With Cataclysm, every zone in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms was changing, flight points were moving, being added or removed, and we needed to make sure people didn’t log in to find they were missing large portions of their flight points. To solve this, characters exploring the world below level 80 were given every flight point automatically to ensure no edge-cases were missed. It was supposed to be a one-time changeover in the old-to-new world transition to resolve what could be numerable bugs due to the vastly altered landscape in the expansion. However, when the change went in, we didn’t realize it was implemented in a way that would affect all characters forever. When we found out it wasn’t an immediate priority, and we began implementing new tech in 5.1 and (more completely) 5.2.

Due of the number of alts some people have, is there any plan to make FP's BoA by chance ?

Or maybe something as it get a little annoying finding the same FP's over and over again ........
90 Human Warlock
03/27/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Suriyel
They say it was a bug. Do you believe that?

I'm waiting breathlessly for their announcement about the chocolate rations. I hear it's good news.

It was good news about the chocorat!
100 Dwarf Hunter
I like it. Hoofing it places isn't hard. It gives new players a better sense of the world too- sure, we old hats know every inch of the path between (well, Auberdine, but yeah) and Astraanar. We know every mountain pass in Khaz Modan. But true newbies are missing out on the "feel" of the world.

Now they're not!
100 Undead Rogue

Cheers.

They didn't have to? Especially on something as innocuous as having to visit flight masters again. It's not like they rolled back your valor.

Word. The one confusing thing about all of the discussions is that I knew I had been receiving some flight points automatically, and was still needing to physically click on others.
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
I'm fine with you doing this for new players but I would prefer that while leveling my 50th alt I did not have to find all the flight paths I have already found numerous times. There isn't really any exploration left in this game for me save when new patches come out.
Edited by Alona on 3/28/2013 1:40 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]