Disc PvP - very frustrating

(Locked)

It's impossible to get anything done as disc in bg's.

First of all, my heals are pathetic. I cannot keep myself alive against anything, let alone other people. I'm constantly CC'd to the point that I just get up and go make lunch, because I know I won't be able to play my char and I'm usually dead in ANY cc.

I was in a BG and an affliction warlock solo'd me with ease. I couldn't even heal myself through his dots without MG up, that's sad.

I was debating whether or not to make this thread since I'm not fully geared but from any experience I had with disc, it has never been good for pvp or pve. I just don't see it being good compared to a resto druid who can fly around the map at Mach 10 and keep everyone at full hp with full mana.

Also Disc runs out of mana in 2 sec. If you can't use flash heal, then everyone dies. There is no keeping anyone up in this game through burst if you can't spam on the move healing or fast heals, which disc has none of (without running out of mana in 5 sec, more then they already do).
90 Night Elf Priest
The problem is not disc priests, the problem is your attitude. You have this wishy washy idea that every other healer is better than disc. The truth is it's probably more related to your skill as a player.

If you want to improve stop complaining and use your energy to see what you can do better. I rarely heal RBGS or BGs though, I DPS them quite often because I find healing them boring.

And no, he's not trolling, looking back at your old posts I can tell you're frustrated more than anything. But get geared correctly then make a decision on if a healer sucks.
90 Human Priest
Yeah...in the moment you are under-geared. Don´t bother about your deaths and all. First just try to survive making your BGs. Farm honor gear...very easy now, about 2 days flooding random BGs. Choose most gear with spirit and be happy. You will see that you will become much more resilient. And just enjoy the power after that.
90 Draenei Priest
It's all about timing and keeping on the run lol. I'm only half geared and I'm tough to kill.
90 Undead Priest
Yes bud, you need more like 65% resilience instead of the 52% you got now.

Look at my character for guidance if you want. I'm 1 of only 2 DISC priest in my bg that got the Challenger title last season.
90 Worgen Priest
Under geared still, and several "un-enchanted" items. You are going to get abused for a bit. Nothing to be done but wait for the gear and gems and enchants.

Now, after you are Mael geared you are still getting abused, then there is a problem.
90 Undead Rogue
On top of the gear issue, it's also important to remember that playing disc isn't about huge heals, it's about anticipating damage and mitigating it. Go roll a hpal if you want monster heals.

Disc is a different playstyle than other healers.

Oh yeah, your attitude sucks.

Hope that helped.
100 Human Priest
I constantly top the healing charts in BGs. No DPS can solo me and would take all of my mana for the majority of classes to 2v1 down.

Doth thou even hoist?
90 Undead Priest
I constantly top the healing charts in BGs. No DPS can solo me and would take all of my mana for the majority of classes to 2v1 down.

Doth thou even hoist?

I'm relatively certain a good shadow priest can kill a good disc priest. I can kill most disc priests in a cc chain into a silence, use insanity, try to get an extra mb off before the silence wears off into a psychic horror.

Not doubting your skill or anything, but playing against ungeared players in a random battleground while claiming to be unkillable and playing against a geared player are two different things.
90 Human Priest
It's impossible to get anything done as disc in bg's.

First of all, my heals are pathetic. I cannot keep myself alive against anything, let alone other people. I'm constantly CC'd to the point that I just get up and go make lunch, because I know I won't be able to play my char and I'm usually dead in ANY cc.

I was in a BG and an affliction warlock solo'd me with ease. I couldn't even heal myself through his dots without MG up, that's sad.

I was debating whether or not to make this thread since I'm not fully geared but from any experience I had with disc, it has never been good for pvp or pve. I just don't see it being good compared to a resto druid who can fly around the map at Mach 10 and keep everyone at full hp with full mana.

Also Disc runs out of mana in 2 sec. If you can't use flash heal, then everyone dies. There is no keeping anyone up in this game through burst if you can't spam on the move healing or fast heals, which disc has none of (without running out of mana in 5 sec, more then they already do).

First and foremost, you need better gear. I have 12% more PvP power than you which is very significant when it comes to the power of your heals. I also have 14% more resilience, which is another crucial thing for survival. You need gear; don't throw in the towel yet.

Secondly, played correctly, your mana won't go down as quickly and you'll be able to keep everyone alive once you do have gear. The point of disc isn't to spam flash heal. Use your bubbles, renew, penance (always should be on cooldown), prayer of mending, and divine star when needed. The only time you should ever use flash heal is during spirit shell or when someone has holy spark on them.

The point of discipline priests is their utility and damage mitigation. They don't function as resto druids or resto shamans where they spam heals to keep everyone alive. Discipline is a diverse (and in my opinion, more fun) healing spec. Even with top-notch gear, you aren't going to immediately bring everyone to 100% health in the heat of the battle. But, you won't let them die, either.
Edited by Apostlez on 3/28/2013 6:42 AM PDT
PoM before flash heal if possible.

Shield targets in anticipation to taking damage.

Penance on cooldown if someone is hurt.

Try to make use of borrowed time.
100 Blood Elf Priest
actually u never want use renew its sux as a hot
90 Draenei Priest
Disc is pretty fun these days, so maybe it's your gear or something. I run with a pve trinket to help my mp.

Take a look at the pvp set bonuses and try to make good use of it. I'm using to PoMing and then immediately throwing a penance (instant, instant) but since the holy spark set bonus benefits a PoM > flash heal (or maybe if you could get a greater out.. maybe, I find it damn near impossible and asking for a kick) try to do that if people need a strong second follow up heal.

Keep an eye when SS is available, cast it and flash heal since they will be much cheaper to build up bubbles quickly.

As for flash heal outside of these, if someone is going to die and I need to use it, I do. My mana still isn't that bad even in those situations. Though Temple of whatever it's called I do end up OOM a lot if no one is killing me and we're dominating the center.
100 Human Priest
For sure! I was just talking in random BGs 95% of the time 2 DPS will not kill me before back up arrives.

Just getting the point across to OP that Disc is definitely not broken and that it is easy to top charts even if it doesn't count our bubbles.
90 Human Priest
The only thing pathetic is your gear. Come back and talk when your at least full mal.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
was debating whether or not to make this thread since I'm not fully geared but from any experience I had with disc, it has never been good for pvp or pve

I don't think you understand how to play disc. Disc has been really really good in both pvp and pve for a while. Atm Priest in general is one of the best classes all round sooooo either l2p or reroll.
I'm not here to bash but to provide help to becoming a better Disc priest in PvP.

Gear: I agree with most of the people here in that you should have ~65% Resilience. Until you have that, you will die fast and often regardless of how you play.

Setup: Once you have that, its time to focus, gem, enchant properly. You can see my set to get an idea. I focus mostly on RBGs with occasional Arena games.

Talents: I notice you're not using spectral guise or roots which are huge life savers. Using spectral guise before someone gets on you can save you from popping other cool downs. Furthermore, it's a 30 sec CD that drops combat (perfect for mounting or drinking). Roots are important to have because Psyfiend dies VERY easy, has a 2 second cast, and can be interrupted very easily. Our roots on the other hand can't be dispelled (lol suck it Warrior). I also run Phantasm in BGs because getting out of roots can really make a difference vs warrior and DK. Lastly, run Divine Star (atleast for now) until you can survive long enough then you can use Cascade.

Rotation: Now that we've got that out of the way, lets talk rotation. Lets use the example, You vs a Warrior. Warriors are one strong counters vs a Disc Priest. You won't always survive against one but the longer you last the longer it gives your team to help you.

Example: Running along in Twin Peaks on your mount and a warrior charges you and slows you. First thing to do is to put Power Word: Shield up, then Void Tendrils, Phantasm, then Spectral Guise and just walk away. All 3 of these abilities are only 30 seconds so you'll be able to use them again shortly.

Now you're walking away for 6 seconds feeling smug and the warrior thinks he's hot !@#$ and can kill you. So he pops Bladestorm to break his roots and sees your stealth end. He then immediately jumps on you. Your 3 abilities from before are on cooldown so now we have to actually survive. Always try to put up PW:Shield, Prayer of Mending, then fear him. Immediately after the fear, hit yourself with Penance. Assuming he's a decent warrior, he'll hit Zerker Rage within 2 seconds so at most you'll get 2 Penance ticks off. He'll charge back into you (which stuns). At this point, pop your Inner Focus, and flash heal yourself for ~90,000 with a 90,000 DA. Put up another PW: Shield and laugh maniacally as he tries to break ~180,000 in Absorbs.

I also forgot to mention, if at ANY point you get interrupted, throw out a Divine Star. It doesn't get holy locked and with a 3 stack penance it heals for ~40 each way.

If you have specific questions, etc; I'd be happy to answer them.
90 Blood Elf Priest
warriors pose a problem in 5.1 for priests of all spec but in 5.2 nah hardly. my holy spec can survive a dk and a war of equal geared what makes u think a disc will lose to a 1vs1 fight against a war?
no healers reallly should be dieing to one person of any class/spec, if u are then something is seriously wrong (my guess would be your stats are not optimized) And to the priest above who plays shadow and thinks he can chain fear silence a disc priest to death is seriously high on crack. "your relatively certain" is full of bulls..t. even with my holy spec i can survive equal geared shadow priest or with a mage/lock partner or make their dots damage look like !@#$. disc priest dropping to 1 person's CC chain is unheard of unless u are killing easy ones or u have a better weapon then your opponent or ignorant peeps who don't know how to optimize their stats.
90 Night Elf Priest
Just a heads up, OP probably stopped reading replies by now.
90 Human Priest
You gear is terrible thats why... Your in half PvE gear and you have like 6500 spirit so you go oom instantly... Once you have full pvp gear and gem right you will be fine... Right now I would say 10k Spirit is a minimum for starters
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]