Ideas on 3 QoL changes (buffs) for PVE Holy

90 Pandaren Priest
Now that more people are playing Holy (yay!), I thought I'd share my feelings on the three biggest hopes I have for 5.4 Holy (I'm writing off 5.3). Below is a short list of QoL changes for Holy (and in one case Disc as well) that I think would make this specialization (class) feel a little less clunky. I've seen some of these concerns across the boards before, but thought I'd reiterate them in a concise and objective manner.

In decreasing order of personal desirability:

Remove party restriction on Prayer of Healing
Why: It's no longer needed. Back in the days when tanks were grouped with Warlocks to get Blood Pact while working on the first iteration of Ragnaros - sure - maybe this made sense. Now, this is the last bastion of an outdated party-based model for healing which is frustrating to coordinate around.
What could make it better: A smart heal! Nothing needs to change (though I suspect we'd see a minor HPS increase from less wasted PoH), and it would work the same as CoH from a target selection perspective. My guess is that this is actually pretty hard to do. WoW's been around for a long time and PoH is one of the oldest spells in the game (both in wall time and spell id enumeration). This considered, organizing groups around the one final spell that has important group restrictions is getting old.

Chakras need more fluidity
Why: There are many times where I'd like to switch stances for a few spells and then switch back to what I was doing before.
What could make it better: Now that some spells have 'charges' (Monk roll most notably), this tech might be well applied to Chakras so we can (at an advanced level of play) stance swap to a minor degree. As a suggestion, 2 charges with a 30 sec. regen sounds fun. That allows us to go 'there and back again', but only every 30 sec.

Apply the concept of Totemic Restoration to Lightwell / Lightspring
Why: The Lightwell CD is particularly annoying when running anything with heavy movement (dungeons, scenarios, PVP) because it will despawn due to range, leaving you with a barely used Lightwell / Lightspring and a long CD.
What could make it better: Totemic Restoration - "When a totem is replaced or destroyed before its duration expires naturally, its cooldown is reduced in proportion to the lost duration, up to a maximum of 50% of the full cooldown."; something along these lines would be nice for LW as well, when despawns occur due to range.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Hi Evan

I really like your 2nd and 3rd ideas, but I'm sincerely hoping GC's preempting of the removal of the party based PoH doesn't herald something along the lines of:

What could make it better: A smart heal! Nothing needs to change (though I suspect we'd see a minor HPS increase from less wasted PoH), and it would work the same as CoH from a target selection perspective.

I may be alone in this, but for me the more smart heals a class has the more boring it becomes. I've been playing my mistweaver a bit lately and, while it's a little relaxing to just chat to friends and push 5 keys in rotation while moving out of stuff, it never feels like I'm healing. Sure her hps is fine for what I do on her, but it's dull stuff to have the game decide for me who actually gets my heals. (At least atonement is only part of what I do as dis). I could never main my monk. By extension, the thought of a PoH where I target the tank and cast, then target a ranged and cast, then target the tank and cast, then target the ranged and cast is "omg please no" to me. It may sound like it's not THAT much different to what holies do now, but at the risk of chicken littling imo smart healing PoHs would be "a trap". The spell would risk becoming THE most efficient AoE healing possible and therefore something no holy priest could avoid chain casting. Two targets. One button. Ad infinitum. (Ad nauseum). (And thus shortly after implementation it would get nerfed because that consequence wasn't intended and we would find ourselves looking to an old school PoH that isn't there anymore to replace the "smart heal" which has become too expensive/inefficient to use).

I like feeling that I'm making real healing decisions. I enjoy triage, it's a hugely important motivation for me choosing to be a healer. I want to dynamically choose my targets and prevent inc damage, remove afflictions or top up the bars according to my moment to moment assessment of need. Point and heal here and point and heal there and let the server decide the details of the healing outcomes, ever soooo efficiently (!), ultimately takes the fun out of healing for me :(. I want to be wrong when I choose the wrong target, not because I didn't simply push the hotkey for the easiest spell to use in my spellbook repeatedly.

TL:DR I honestly hope PoH isn't converted to a true smart heal. Even if that opinion makes me very foolish indeed. Party heals may be clunky in a world where you can't have any input into raid layout, but I don't want my spells to be designed from the perspective of what's convenient for an auto assigned LFR (or even to a lesser extent BG groupings).
Edited by Aerry on 3/26/2013 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Smart Heal PoH already existed. It was called TBC Circle of Healing and it was boring as all getout because you just spammed it to death.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Smart heal PoH might take some of the damage control away from Discipline, given that Shelling and pre-PoHing a group or two in preparation for heavy damage can really help with mitigation, and is kind of where disc's strength lies.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
My QoL fixes for Holy are focused on the key problems Holy has which is Mana regen, Chakra, and to a lesser extent cooldowns.

New Holy Passive: Holy Concentration
When the Holy Priest's mana is below 50% all mana regen effects from Spirit, Talents and Abilities are increased by 50%.

This would increase mana regen from Spirit as well as other effects such as Mindbender, Shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope and Solace by 50% but only when the Priest is below 50% mana (we enter Holy Concentration). This would not apply to things like mana potions. For example, Solace returns 3,000 mana above 50% but below 50% it returns 4,500 mana. The idea is that we should not have so much mana regen that we are running around as top heals and ending fights with near 100% mana (Disc 5.1). These numbers can simply be tweaked if the below 50% mana and 50% increased regen is too little or too generous since only testing can determine that.

New Holy Passive: Chakra
Chakra stances have been eliminated and all Holy Words are discrete spells and can always be cast. All of the abilities which only existed when in a particular stance now always exist as passive abilities all the time.

I don't necessarily see the above as the real "fix" for Chakra, it just eliminates Chakra. I would rather see Chakra as a "playstyle" ability versus a "pigeonholed into one healing role by nerfing the other" ability. A 10-man raiding Holy Priest needs a playstyle that supports tank healing and raid healing without nerfing the other.

New Holy Ability: Archangel
This now also applies to Holy Priests.

New Holy Ability: Inner Focus
This now also applies to Holy Priests.

Both Archangel and Inner Focus are abilities that I could take before as a Holy Priest, with Inner Focus being one that I always ran with. Also add the Inner Focus Glyph to Holy.

Redesigned Holy Passive: Serendipity
Serendipity is changed from "stacks" to "charges". Serendipity charges are gained from casting Renew, Flash Heal, HW Serenity, and Prayer of Mending. Serendipity decreases the cast time and mana cost of Binding Heal, Greater Heal, and Prayer of Healing by 25%. Maximum 2 charges.

Serendipity needs an overhaul to be more relevant to Holy Priest healing playstyles. The new Serendipity is a charge, it has one flat amount of cast time and mana reduction, but you can have 2 of them.

Redesigned Priest Spell: Prayer of Healing
Heals the target and 4 low-health players within 40 yards. Prefers the target's group when all players are at 100% health or Spirit Shell is active.

Redesigned Holy Ability: Guardian Spirit
The cooldown on Guardian Spirit has been reduced to 2min and if it's death effect is not triggered the cooldown is reset to 1min. The 60% increased healing now only applies to heals received from the Priest.

Redesigned Holy Ability: Spirit of Redemption
Casting Void Shift on the Priest while Spirit of Redemption is active will cause the Priest to return to life with 35% health and mana. This effect does not count as a Battle Rez, however, it resets the cooldown on Spirit of Redemption to 30min.

I really want Spirit of Redemption to be something powerful for Holy Priests, not simply a buff I have to click off as the RL is screaming "Stop Healing, so that we can wipe and release".
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

TL:DR I honestly hope PoH isn't converted to a true smart heal. Even if that opinion makes me very foolish indeed. Party heals may be clunky in a world where you can't have any input into raid layout, but I don't want my spells to be designed from the perspective of what's convenient for an auto assigned LFR (or even to a lesser extent BG groupings).

You know, there's a lot of merit to this stance, and I agree with where you're coming from. My position on it is that it's frustrating from a UX perspective to shuffle groups around (and as your correctly point out, many times that's not an available option in PVP / LFR), and that's what I'd like to address. Finally, our throughput with PoH is correspondent to how many people are alive / in the group. Perhaps it's just me, but I usually shy away from PoH on groups with less than 4 alive, which just feels wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Especially in 10m raiding the ability to heal 5 specific people at once is really strong and something that isn't addressed by any other heal. I feel like there ought to be more party-heals so PoH would be less of an outlier, or maybe just leave it as a Priest specialty, but certainly not removed or redesigned - it fills a healing niche that literally nothing else does.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The main things I'd like to see are a reduction on Chakra's CD and an increase of PoH's radius to 40 yards. The latter would be a significant QoL improvement on fights that require the raid to be spread.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Why: There are many times where I'd like to switch stances for a few spells and then switch back to what I was doing before.
What could make it better: Now that some spells have 'charges' (Monk roll most notably), this tech might be well applied to Chakras so we can (at an advanced level of play) stance swap to a minor degree. As a suggestion, 2 charges with a 30 sec. regen sounds fun. That allows us to go 'there and back again', but only every 30 sec.

I think this would be a good temporary change to Chakra, or at least one worth trying out. It would allow us to switch during short aoe heavy phases and not feel punished for giving up single target heals for such a short aoe healing phase.

03/27/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Darkener
I would rather see Chakra as a "playstyle" ability versus a "pigeonholed into one healing role by nerfing the other" ability. A 10-man raiding Holy Priest needs a playstyle that supports tank healing and raid healing without nerfing the other.

This is exactly how I feel about Chakra. I suggested in another thread to possibly make two chakras, a healing one that single targets and aoe heals equally, that has access to both healing holy words, and chastise with atonement healing. I think giving Holy Atonement would help even us out with Disc some, and would still provide thoughtful choice on when to use which Chakra stance without forcing you into one healing role every 45 sec.

Redesigned Holy Passive: Serendipity
Serendipity is changed from "stacks" to "charges". Serendipity charges are gained from casting Renew, Flash Heal, HW Serenity, and Prayer of Mending. Serendipity decreases the cast time and mana cost of Binding Heal, Greater Heal, and Prayer of Healing by 25%. Maximum 2 charges.

Serendipity needs an overhaul to be more relevant to Holy Priest healing playstyles. The new Serendipity is a charge, it has one flat amount of cast time and mana reduction, but you can have 2 of them.

I agree, tying Serendipity to Flash heal is great for burst single target healing, but I rarely use it due to mostly aoe healing in the raiding I do. Would help make use of it's mana reducing ability and may help Holy mana issues some.

Redesigned Holy Ability: Spirit of Redemption
Casting Void Shift on the Priest while Spirit of Redemption is active will cause the Priest to return to life with 35% health and mana. This effect does not count as a Battle Rez, however, it resets the cooldown on Spirit of Redemption to 30min.

I really want Spirit of Redemption to be something powerful for Holy Priests, not simply a buff I have to click off as the RL is screaming "Stop Healing, so that we can wipe and release".

Perhaps instead of making Spirit of Redemption a healing after death, make it like an Ankh. Give the priest an option to brez themselves or someone else, with a 30 min cooldown.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Trying to think of how POH could work without being a smart heal and without being a copy of Holy Radiance.

Cast POH and get 5 charges of instant single-target heals that can be fired off while in the middle of another cast's progress? That would actually be kinda cool... especially if you can hold up to 8 or 10 charges, so you precast a POH, start a second when damage begins, and clickclickclick while that second castbar is running to distribute them.

MOP has already introduced the idea of spells that can be used even in the middle of another cast, so there's no technical obstacle to doing it this way. It would be pretty hard for click-casters to use, so maybe if you overfill charges or they expire then it just randomly spits them at anyone within 20yd of you?
Edited by Breathkeeper on 4/1/2013 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest

I know Blizzard thinks we need chakra, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. As holy we have so many healing spells, that it is hardlly a boring class to play, and actually requires a lot of knowledge about when and where to use our spells (priorities, CDs, etc.), not to mention getting our mindbender out there on every CD, seeing as without it we will oom very quickly. I just don't see why we need another clunky useless device thown at us.

I may be alone in this, bur I'd just as soon get rid of chakra, and just buff the single and AOE spells by 15-20%, as opposed to the 25% chakra state increase.

My 2 pennies.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]