Prot vs. Ret

90 Human Paladin
In cata I had prot as my off spec for doing old content and new content alike. I always heal raids so by current content I mean dungeons, scenarios, dailies, etc. For MoP I went ret for the dps boost, but have some problems. For some of the current achievements, rares, and other things you do solo I am having trouble surviving. I have been thinking about going back to prot, but I need the dps boost for certain bosses like the 2nd one in BWL. Once your geared to say lfr do you think it's better to be prot or ret for doing old content and new content alike?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Depends on how old. Ret can easily do anything pre-Wrath and quite a bit of Wrath as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ya, I mostly do classic and bc raids and dungeons, but I do wrath dungeons and the occasional raid. I find I have trouble with Kael'Thas in TP which is a bc raid.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Which part of fighting Kael are you having trouble with?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have not done it in a while, but if I remember right I would die because I got feared endlessly. It is after you kill the weapons so when the 4 guys come back to life. I'm not sure if I should use the staff since it would lower my dps. Like I said, it's been a while, so my gear is better, but the fears makes it hard.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Kael was pretty tricky for me at 85, but I haven't noticed any problems with him at 90. I know this is a stupid question, but you have done it since being 90 right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes, I have. I just haven't done it since 5.2 and maybe a little before that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Kael was a pain if you had 463 ilvl and not exp capped or hit capped... just because you didnt kill anything so quick and get fear and stunned a lot... but still doable.

With higher ilvl, hes just a piece of cake.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
So it's the four advisors? That's the hardest part. Here's what I do:

1. Equip a PvP trinket. Not necessary, but helpful.
2. When the advisors come out by themselves, pull the three males to the back corner behind where Kael is standing, and pull the mage (Capernian) as far to the other side of the room (by the doors) as you can.
3. When the weapons die, run over to Capernian's corpse. Just before Kael resurrects them, cast Guardian, blow Avenging Wrath when they resurrect, and burn Capernian down. PvP trinket out of her disorient (or Divine Shield, if you don't have a trinket).
4. Kill the paladin (Sanguinar), then the engineer (Telonicus).
5. By the time Telonicus dies, the warrior (Thaladred) should be just reaching you or have just reached you. He moves very slowly, so kite him around until the Remote Toy debuff on you expires, then kill him.
6. Kill Kael.

Also: I use Sacred Shield for this fight. If you keep it up, you won't take any notable damage.
Edited by Keten on 3/27/2013 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If that doesn't work, then use the old trick of starting the fight, then leaving the room immediately and run far away. The doors close, but if you hury you can exit before they close...adds will come to you through the door, as will kale.

Wait for add, kill it, then move to another place in the instance far from there.... the idea is to kill the adds at varying distances apart, so that when you get to the phase with all of them active, you can take them on one at a time while the others are running too you. That's how I did it at 85 at least.

I low I'd kill one near the entrance, one in the fel reaver room, etc. It's been a while though since I did that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ugh. Tablet autocorrect butchers things.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Alright thanks guys. Both of those methods I had not heard of before. The method I am used to is taking the two melee guys to the back of the room and keeping the casters in the front. Same kill order I believe. I'll try it again today and report back, but it is straying a little from the topic I wanted to focus on. Do you think prot or ret is better for both current content and old content. I said earlier by what I mean for each. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You'll probably be fine as Ret in most Wrath 10-mans. At the very least, I do Malygos and Onyxia 10-man fine as Ret. For 25-man you'll probably need to be Prot, but I'm not sure if Prot can do enough damage to beat the enrage timers on those fights.

Anything lower than Wrath is easy as Ret.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Wow... Actually succeeded in killing him. Followed Keten's tactic. Was still annoying because I forgot the trinket, but it was really helpful. Thanks for help with that. Now back to the main topic . I have actually done malygos and onxyia solo like you were saying Keten. I have actually saw both the azure and blue drakes drop at the same time. I'm more wondering if I can do most of the current content as ret.
Edited by Stormpally on 3/27/2013 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You're welcome. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
As for current content: most Pandaria rares are meant to be soloed by a DPS spec. I've done the 5.1 rares in Krasarang as Ret without problems.

However, the Isle of Thunder rares are just plain nasty. I've done them as Ret, but only with a bunch of other people all attacking together.

I can solo some of the elites on the Isle of Giants as Ret, but not the big direhorns or devilsaurs. They just plain hit too hard. The pterodactyls are a pain, but doable. The smaller direhorns are risky but killable. Haven't tried the smaller devilsaurs yet; I think they need to be kited. And of course the dinomancers are easy.

Is there anything else specific you were thinking of?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
No, your good at answering stuff haha. I actually tried to kill a small direhorn and nearly killed myself. Ran away when he was about half health and I was about to die. Any tips on killing them?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/27/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Keten
However, the Isle of Thunder rares are just plain nasty. I've done them as Ret, but only with a bunch of other people all attacking together.

The only IoT rare that's been any trouble for me, if I attempt to solo it, is Mumta because of his healing reduction debuff. SoI and HPri are amazing tools for soloing stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only IoT rare that's been any trouble for me, if I attempt to solo it, is Mumta because of his healing reduction debuff. SoI and HPri are amazing tools for soloing stuff.

Well, the Haywire Construct at least does some pretty major AoE damage, but I've never tried using Insight on them. It's not really necessary since my server always has tons of people camping rares still.

No, your good at answering stuff haha. I actually tried to kill a small direhorn and nearly killed myself. Ran away when he was about half health and I was about to die. Any tips on killing them?

Not really. I just burn them down as fast as I can and stun them as often as possible. Lots of Holy Power goes into WoG though.
Edited by Keten on 3/27/2013 3:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/27/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Keten

Well, the Haywire Construct at least does some pretty major AoE damage, but I've never tried using Insight on them. It's not really necessary since my server always has tons of people camping rares still.

True enough; the crowds are dwindling, but there's still plenty of folks around to murder rares. I just run Insight for dailies, anyway, so it's already running when I spot a rare and star to solo it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]