Haunting Spirit... worst idea ever

90 Human Hunter
Requiring an enchating material in order to craft current ilvl gear that drops solely from enchanting 522's is the worst idea in the history of worst ideas.

By the time most players get enough haunting spirits to craft with we will most likely be done with normals and no longer desire 522s.

Welp back to the drawing board Blizzard. Maybe you could wrack your brains and come up with a more efficient way to make crafting actually usable past the first major patch of each expansion.

Atleast we will be able to craft 522s for our alts when haunting spirits become more readily available. Right about the time the next major patch drops.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Like how we can craft 496 now and seems like nobody cares or wants it

We only want teh shiniez
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They're not meant to be an easy way to gear up. They're meant to be an alternative to useless drops, turning them (if inefficiently) to something useful.

This is in contrast to prior raid crafting mats, which could drop from trash (encouraging trash farming runs) or be bonus loot from bosses. They were also typically available (if expensive) for purchase, usually with the relevant high end currency (which would be valor points now).

It's a design change. They're not meant to be plentiful early on. This is intentional.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
They're not meant to be an easy way to gear up. They're meant to be an alternative to useless drops, turning them (if inefficiently) to something useful.

This is in contrast to prior raid crafting mats, which could drop from trash (encouraging trash farming runs) or be bonus loot from bosses. They were also typically available (if expensive) for purchase, usually with the relevant high end currency (which would be valor points now).

It's a design change. They're not meant to be plentiful early on. This is intentional.

This. It's meant for raiders who have crap luck with drops and gives the option to use that gear to come up with alternatives, i.e de it and make it into something useful. It's like the living embers from Firelands (4.2) in Cataclysm, only dropped from raid bosses and was required to make the crafted 378 gear. At the same time if someone in the guild did not have the plans it let others make some gold if they did not raid. It's been designed like this for a while (not advocating that it's a good design).
Edited by Bloodkorican on 3/27/2013 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Did you make the same post about blood spirits during 5.0?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Seems par for the last three expacs.
Reply Quote

In wrath the special mat didn't come from disenchanting. They were drops or you bought them, IIRC.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/28/2013 03:28 PMPosted by Yogopher

In wrath the special mat didn't come from disenchanting. They were drops or you bought them, IIRC.

Same with Firelands and Derpsoul..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Frozen Orbs were the big thing back in Wrath. And after a while you could buy them from a vendor in Dalaran. This deal with Haunted Spirits is pretty stupid.
Reply Quote

This. It's meant for raiders who have crap luck with drops and gives the option to use that gear to come up with alternatives, i.e de it and make it into something useful.

With the faulty assumption that you're a DE'er, or that you'll win the roll on the spirits.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
At the same time if someone in the guild did not have the plans it let others make some gold if they did not raid

That makes absolutely no sense.

If they don't raid how are they going to get the mats cheap enough to make anything worth selling?

On the servers I play on the average cost for a haunting spirit is around 12k each that would put the cost for item level 522 tailoring boots at 72k and 96k for hood just for the cost of the spirit.

So I don't see how your statement there makes any sense at all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
In order for me to make Haunted Steel Greathelm I need 8 Haunting Spirit which are going for 13K+ on my server.

8 x Haunting Spirit (13,000) = 104,000 gold

8 x Living Steel (400) = 3, 200 gold

3 x Spirit of Harmony (500-700) = 1,500 - 2,100

Total = ~108,700 gold...to make ONE ilevel 522 helm.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
In order for me to make Haunted Steel Greathelm I need 8 Haunting Spirit which are going for 13K+ on my server.

How was that different than blood spirit patterns, or the raid mat patterns before that (was that Firelands?)?

These patterns were never meant to be easy epics, like engineering goggles. They are alternatives for people that failed to get something for that slot over a period of several weeks, which is how they would get spirits: DEing useless crap that dropped instead of their needed item.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I liked it when the crafting professions actually crafted good epic sets of gear. It was not the best gear in the game and not extremely easy to get all the mats but doable with a small amount of effort.

Now it seems all we get is a bunch of PVP crap to make and the good epic gear has mats that only raiders will be able to get unless the spirits are bought off AH for a price 99% of the players cannot afford to pay if they want to make any profit and by the time most crafters are able to make the items at a reasonable price the items will be outdated and useless.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

How was that different than blood spirit patterns, or the raid mat patterns before that (was that Firelands?)?

These patterns were never meant to be easy epics, like engineering goggles. They are alternatives for people that failed to get something for that slot over a period of several weeks, which is how they would get spirits: DEing useless crap that dropped instead of their needed item.

I was pointing out the prices. I don't recall ANYTHING in AH that high for a helmet, or any other piece of gear.
Edited by Tiranikal on 3/30/2013 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The 522 pieces and haunting spirits are for raiders to use to help fill in a couple gear spots if they are having trouble getting those drops. The people who don't raid and don't have access to the spirits don't need the gear right away.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I couldn't agree more, but it seems as though the idea is to make people waste as much time as humanly possible trying to make these new items and then when they finally get enough ingredients to make one piece, they will add new content that makes it totally useless, while still doing the job of wasting countless hours of people's time in their game.

Maybe the designers are all enchanters and want to make a fortune off this. Makes about as much sense as the idea itself, which is beyond stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Requiring an enchating material in order to craft current ilvl gear that drops solely from enchanting 522's is the worst idea in the history of worst ideas.

By the time most players get enough haunting spirits to craft with we will most likely be done with normals and no longer desire 522s.

Welp back to the drawing board Blizzard. Maybe you could wrack your brains and come up with a more efficient way to make crafting actually usable past the first major patch of each expansion.

Atleast we will be able to craft 522s for our alts when haunting spirits become more readily available. Right about the time the next major patch drops.

I didn't see you complaining when Blizz made my 476 Blacksmithing recipes ALL require Living steel, then turned right around and told us WE can't make it, and gave it to Alchemists instead.

I want to see Blacksmiths given the ability to make Living steel, in the same manner that Tailors can make Imperial Silk, Leatherworkers can craft Magnificent Hide, Inscriptionists can make Scroll of Wisdom, Jewelcrafters can make Serpent's Eye, and Enchanters can craft AND farm Sha Crystals.

So I have to ask, WHY did we blacksmiths get shafted like this. Only engineers can also claim they are so inconvenienced as we are.

Blizzard, I implore you to make it possible for us to create Living Steel.Honestly, Alchemists shouldn't be able to do it if we can't. We need that ability, and I can't be the only Blacksmith out there who thinks so.
Edited by Kaelythras on 3/30/2013 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

I didn't see you complaining when Blizz made my 476 Blacksmithing recipes ALL require Living steel, then turned right around and told us WE can't make it, and gave it to Alchemists instead.

I want to see Blacksmiths given the ability to make Living steel, in the same manner that Tailors can make Imperial Silk, Leatherworkers can craft Magnificent Hide, Inscriptionists can make Scroll of Wisdom, Jewelcrafters can make Serpent's Eye, and Enchanters can craft AND farm Sha Crystals.

So I have to ask, WHY did we blacksmiths get shafted like this. Only engineers can also claim they are so inconvenienced as we are.

Blizzard, I implore you to make it possible for us to create Living Steel.Honestly, Alchemists shouldn't be able to do it if we can't. We need that ability, and I can't be the only Blacksmith out there who thinks so.

You know, there was a small part of me that thought blizz would have put in a recipe for blacksmiths/engineers to craft living steel when they put in the recipes for mag hides and primal diamonds for leatherworkers and jewel crafters in 5.2. A fool's hope, I know.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

You know, there was a small part of me that thought blizz would have put in a recipe for blacksmiths/engineers to craft living steel when they put in the recipes for mag hides and primal diamonds for leatherworkers and jewel crafters in 5.2. A fool's hope, I know.

I think the reason they didn't is because it would lessen the stupid Alchemist monopoly on living steel, and their profits would decrease. In that case every Alchemist would be whining about it.
I get the feeling that Blizz just doesn't want to make the Alchemists mad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]