Blood DK Threat Generation

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Hello fellow tanks, particularly, DK's. I'm just curious to know that if you are let's say, tanking in LFR, and you have a Warrior as the other tank, do you ever feel like they generate more threat than you, and you are both near if not equal on ilvl?

I swear, i've had every other tank class pull threat off me, although not right away, but eventually, and no its not by taunting. The only thing I could think of would be Vengeance, but that's it...

So maybe i'm crazy, but could DK threat generation not be as up to par?

PLS HALP MEH SOLVE DIS CRISIS, so I don't feel so retarded about this issue!
Reply Quote
95 Dwarf Paladin
7/10 I lol'd
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

We're fine.

Monks have better burst threat generation - IE, don't try to pull trash packs off of them, it won't work - but sustained TPS is pretty much identical between similarly geared tanks.

Vengeance DOES mean your co-tank needs to stop hitting the boss for a few seconds after a taunt to let you build Vengeance.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
try getting hit and expertise capped
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
03/27/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Krinu

We're fine.

Monks have better burst threat generation - IE, don't try to pull trash packs off of them, it won't work - but sustained TPS is pretty much identical between similarly geared tanks.

Vengeance DOES mean your co-tank needs to stop hitting the boss for a few seconds after a taunt to let you build Vengeance.

Awesome, thanks for your opnion. :)

@Datmonk - already hit capped at 8%, exp is at 4% and I live with it fine
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
All tank threat is fine.

Keg smash is just too stronk
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
@Datmonk - already hit capped at 8%, exp is at 4% and I live with it fine

Hit cap is 7.5%, so you could put some of those stats into something. 4% expertise just makes me cry.

I also wouldn't make a thread complaining about threat... then say "I live with 4% expertise just fine" when it's your number one threat building stat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Er. Expertise is not our #1 thread building stat. In fact, it's our worst. Blood Boil uses the spell hit table, Rune Strike can't be dodged or parried, and Death Strike can't be parried. Our only core abilities that are heavily affected by hit and expertise are Heart Strike and Soul Reaper... and Soul Reaper isn't a threat tool, it's a DPS tool. Plus, you can replace HS with BB if you're short on expertise with only a slight DPS loss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Hello fellow tanks, particularly, DK's. I'm just curious to know that if you are let's say, tanking in LFR, and you have a Warrior as the other tank, do you ever feel like they generate more threat than you, and you are both near if not equal on ilvl?

I swear, i've had every other tank class pull threat off me, although not right away, but eventually, and no its not by taunting. The only thing I could think of would be Vengeance, but that's it...

PLS HALP MEH SOLVE DIS CRISIS, so I don't feel so retarded about this issue!

If your talking about tanking a boss, i would disagree. but if you are talking about aoe we DK's have a little more setup time as we need 2 globals before we can spam blood boil.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
DK aoe is fine.

Outbreak+Blood Boil with Roiling blood is more the enough if your dps understand how your aoe threat works.

Of course you will encounter problems if everyone in your raid decides to pick their own target to burst down, but any dps with half a brain should cause you next to no aoe threat problems.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
imo, threat levels are pretty even right now.

if anything, warriors might be a little behind on aoe threat across large packs of mobs.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
if anything, warriors might be a little behind on aoe threat across large packs of mobs.
They're not.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
imo, threat levels are pretty even right now.

Our damage is good.

Our ability to pick up large packs more than once every 6s is the "problem", same as its always been
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Er. Expertise is not our #1 thread building stat. In fact, it's our worst. Blood Boil uses the spell hit table, Rune Strike can't be dodged or parried, and Death Strike can't be parried. Our only core abilities that are heavily affected by hit and expertise are Heart Strike and Soul Reaper... and Soul Reaper isn't a threat tool, it's a DPS tool. Plus, you can replace HS with BB if you're short on expertise with only a slight DPS loss.

This. I wasn't complaining about threat, I was just curious to know if threat generation was different between all the tank classes.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Absolutely it's different, but in most regards it is the same. At low vengeance we all do sorta crap threat, especially compared to a tank with high Vengeance. If you're trying to grab aggro off a tank with high vengeance, you'll have trouble no matter which tank you are.

And yeah, some tanks actively gear for DPS (directly TPS) stats, while DKs in particular shy away from them. This doesn't particularly make a difference in terms of losing aggro while actively tanking the boss; if that sort of thing happens there's something else that's drastically wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Dk sustained threat is fine but has a pretty steep rampup time. It's largely based on diseases which don't tick until 3 seconds after you apply them.

Warrior threat is more bursty- especially if they are using dragon's roar.

My cotank is a warrior and it's pretty even overall. Whoever gets to the aoe pack first is tanking all of them (yay vengeance).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]