Officer types to benefit a raid/pvp guild?

So, I have this new guild, I am used to running guilds before usually always end up running a guild! However, It has always been a casual laid back type setting where we did everything. But now, in my new guild that i created yesterday I am trying to get things and information together to make it a successful Raid/PvP guild. I need to know what "types" of officer would be most beneficial. I have a great set of Co-Gms who came with me from another server, I have a guild enchanter, guild JC, Bank Manager, and even a guild councelor (someone who will help basically mediate when an arguement takes place especially if I am unavailable) I know I am missing some officer types, I do know I will need a pvp officer as well as a good raid leader. But I need to know what else, any advice on that aspect? Just tell me the types of officers we should go with, as well as the description of what that type of officer does if it is not a self-explanatory name!

Also, any other tips or advice on how to make sure we succeed in both raids and pvp would be great as well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
u need a designated raid leader and a desaignated pvp leader - we use youth leaders and quest leaders as well, twink leaders lol etc, we have to stick them all in raid/pvp leader rank right now though
Reply Quote
Thank you. I appreciate your answer to my response
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When I look to see what officer types I need I look to see do I have a job for them to do right now. I do not want the rank to be nothing more than a glorified title. new guilds often do not need a lot of officers... , the more players your guild has, the move events your guild runs will determine just how many officers you really need.

You can have your entire structure set up and everything looking pretty, but if there are no guildies to manage, no job to do, why is that person an officer if all he does is sit around?

So first get your guild established. Set your main focus for the guild, recruit for that focus, then based on how many players are in your guild and what you are focusing on create your ranks and officer ranks

When I started my guild in BC, It was me and two friends... no officers for the longest time, til we had enough members to start raiding kara, then we designated a raid leader.

He and I ran the guild, we really did not need any other officers as the guild stayed under 100 active accounts.

Players who wanted to organize PVP events were allowed to do so as long as they did not interfere with the raid schedule

If your leadership structure is too large it become unwieldy and disorganized and it will not help you run the guild. The purpose of an officer is so you can delegate certain responsibilities to that player and know they will get done

Larger guilds can need more officers.. but not always I know some pretty large guilds that are run by a guild leader, raid leader bank officer and recruiter, and that is it. Your going to have to decide what works best for you.. Good luck
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Maraangel here :P Right now, my guild has 11 members, however, I was initially going to move a guild from Cenarion Circle to Lightbringer, but then decided that it was just better to start over fresh. My current Officers, like I am the guilds enchanter and guild leader, my sister is the primary co-gm, Guild JC, and supply officer as well as bank manager, An in-game friend who I have known for 3 years is my guild counselor. These people because they were an officer in a guild I stepped down from and I told them if they moved or created a toon they would obtain the same rank, and my family as well. But these people I trust with my life.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
to run raid and pvp and recruiting u need 3 (2 if u only do one of pvp.pve at first) ranks of what u have set up (keep command structure how u have it till ur rdy to change it)

raider
pvper

leaders

each of u put an alt into the position u have right now and move ur end gamers to their place as raiders/pvper whicever uw ant to do first till u gain another ten guildies (whoever ur raid leader is goes in leader so 9 in raid/pvp and one in lead)

the point is the leaders can set calendar for pve or pvp, u have to fill up raider or pvper all the way all ten, before u fill the other<to start now

then ur leaders can make calender events sent to pvp or pve - the entire point is to have an ingame reminder called the calender for ur events and u can make them recuring and get on a schedule
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
That actually makes perfect sense!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I would suggest you start off slow and focus on either raids or pvp. This is because in this game to do either successfully you need to be geared and experienced. You and your co-GMs need to sit down and ask yourselves what you would like to focus on. You will need to equip your toons properly to form the core of the team yourselves. If you want to be taken seriously your toons which represent your guild need to be heavy hitters; if you focus on raids, for example, they need to have some current boss kills under their belt and an item level of at least around 490.

Once you have that figured out and only then you should start inviting people. You cannot invite someone straight into an officer position. Sometimes the person will be honest and will absolutely be officer material. The chances of getting such a person out of a Trade Chat posting for example is lower than winning the lottery. Even if they try for a few days, most will get tired and stop. Instead you should establish a base of players and promote from within as the need arises. Ssinfull is correct when she said there is no point to officers if there are no players to manage. Think of it as a business; you cant' promote someone to "supervisor" if they have no one to supervise, that's downright silly.

You also said there are several co-GMs. Those are technically the officers you have now. Each of these people, you included, should have a set of responsibilities and "watch their arcs of fire" so to speak (aka perform their range of duties with due dedication). Once the guild grows and the job gets too much for them, that's when it is the right time to appoint others into officer positions.
Reply Quote
Thank you for the great and wonderful tips, although I am quite aware of not inviting someone just to be an officer! However, I was just asking what officer types, so as we get more people then I can find the need for specific positions and add some trusted people to those positions, also , there is only 1 co-gm, my sister. I have my raid leader, my bank officer, my guild counselor, and already working on trying to obtain my raid team in which case I have half a group which is just me and 4 officers already in my guild. My guild is slowly growing, we now have 31 members versus the few, so I see us growing and eventually will have a need for more officers. I was just hoping to have an idea of what kinds of positions I should make available so this way when I find the ones I trust who have been in the guild with us through thick and thin, that i can easily make an officer. No one will be just an officer, everyone will have a specific position and that position will determine what rank they are. I do have some of my current officers with profession positions, like with me...I am the guilds enchanter/tailor in charge of keeping the bank supplied with bags and will be helping to gear up the clothies using my tailoring. My cogm is the Guild miner/JC and she is also my supply officer. so it is her job to delegate like..if we need herbs for the guild bank she goes to the raid leader who is in charge of Herbs and providing them for raids as well as the guild bank, so some of my current officers have agreed to take on a professions master position. Like with me, the enchanter/Tailor, my sis is the Miner/JC for the guild, my raid leader is the Herb farmer for us, sorry if I made you think there was more then that. But there's not. Just 4-5 officers includin myself who have agreed to take on more then one thing permanently, mainly a professions so we can lessen how many officers we will have and need. I told them if they feel they need a break from a position to let me know and I would gladly allow them that break and not to be afraid to talk to me if they do get burned out. Communication is the main key and that is what I want to implement with my raiders, casual players, myself and my officers.
Reply Quote
14 Human Mage
Eh, get the numbers up and then think of officers. I like how my guild is done. Officers are those that schedule events and are willing to lead them. Which really is few and far between.

So you want to say raid. Pick dates & people after polling. You have 5 people that can come on Thurs & Saturday. You're missing a tank, 2 healers and 2 DPS. That's painful. But pick a raid. Say HOF. Healer 1 has a DPS friend, so now just down 4. Ask in trade the night before. "HOF Thursday. LF tank and DPS. Core group position available!"

It pays to be prepared. Your guild macros will be ignored, but something concrete like "1 Tank spot for Core Group. Stable, been together since Sunwell. PST for info" will be answered. How do I know this? LOL I'm a raid leader that was cursed with ridiculous tanks. Tank not show, I'd be in trade for an hour begging for someone, anyone. Once I gave up on them officially, my "Core group looking for a Tank. Whisper for details" would be met with a ton of responses. Granted, those responses were all junk too, but I found the needle in haystack so you can too.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Thanks Babyjane. I will remember that, took notes from your post to me. I appreciate the help and tips from you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Bank officer (looks after the bank, keeps it clean, watches out for ninjas), conflict officer (your version of a counsellor), recruitment officer (in change of getting new guildies into your guild), social officer (organizes guild events, xmorgs runs, raffles, etc), are just a few handy ranks :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Thank you Kaynah! Big help I didnt even think of a social officer! I actually just got my recruitment officer yesterday and now I have a couple other officers I am looking for, Thank you. I appreciate your simple post about the officers Ishould have 9to anyone else) feel free to toss more suggestions for me as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]