What irritates you the most as a healer?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, I mean use survivability tools in emergencies when you need them but you shouldn't be popping pots constantly just because the healer has a lot to heal. That's mechanics, not really the DPS' fault unless they're standing in things they shouldn't be.

Everyone should carry party g.r.e.n.a.d.e.s.

if you don't you should be kicked immediately
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I know my job is to heal. It's also to stay alive with every tool I can possibly pull out of my derriere (no matter which role I'm filling).

My entire point was that everyone should carry emergency supplies. JUST IN CASE.
Simply refusing to take responsibility for yourself is a no-go in my book.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Progression raiding calls for people have "just in case" tools available.

Normal raiding, not so much. When wiping that one extra time could cost you a world ranking, yes, you need the just in case.

That's only a small fraction of the WoW population. If you don't eat your lockrocks, or don't carry potions, it's not a big deal to me most of the time. If it continually causes a wipe because at a certain point I expect you to be recoving health on your own, I'll remind you to eat your candy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Roger that, but not taking a health pot as dps is not a failure to take responsibility. I'm trying imagine a scenario in which it's early enough that the dps haven't repotted, but the healers are dead, rezzes are gone, and a health pot may save someone enough that the encounter is beatable. Or maybe it's a situation where it's the dps's fault, standing in too much stuff or something--it's a hard fight, so non-farm, so progression-ish, a living healer looks at a critically low health bar, and goes, hope he has health pots, because you know what? Eff that guy. Things can go very awry, but the wipe post mortem (correctly) won't end with: the dps should have used health pots.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
03/29/2013 09:09 AMPosted by Alashe
I'm trying imagine a scenario in which it's early enough that the dps haven't repotted, but the healers are dead, rezzes are gone, and a health pot may save someone enough that the encounter is beatable.

To be honest, I don't think that scenario exists. If the healers are all dead, all rezzes are gone, and you are about to beat the encounter, the dps has already taken his or her Jade Serpent potion.
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Taymage
I'm trying imagine a scenario in which it's early enough that the dps haven't repotted, but the healers are dead, rezzes are gone, and a health pot may save someone enough that the encounter is beatable.

To be honest, I don't think that scenario exists. If the healers are all dead, all rezzes are gone, and you are about to beat the encounter, the dps has already taken his or her Jade Serpent potion.

And IF they haven't I am more likely to say "Why didn't you use your potion earlier so maybe we could have killed it before it killed us?!" rather than "Why didn't you drink a health potion?!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/29/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Taymage

Agreed. ("I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which it's early enough that the dps haven't repotted[...]")
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
03/29/2013 10:05 AMPosted by Morenn

And IF they haven't I am more likely to say "Why didn't you use your potion earlier so maybe we could have killed it before it killed us?!" rather than "Why didn't you drink a health potion?!"

In tier 11, we had the worst wipe of all time. We wiped with Nefarion at approximately 3000 health.

*3000*

I was healing on my resto shaman. I thought "omg, this was my fault. If I had pulled out my fire elemental at the end, he'd be dead." Then Kaels was like omg, I had a shadowfiend left. And everyone else immediately thought of something they could have done. Sigh.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The scenario most certainly DOES exist. It just ... the players that are in the scenarios where that would likely matter, are hopefully high enough caliber that they eat their lock cookies, drink their poitions and use every self heal they have. Because that's the kind of player that can finish off the last x % of a boss. Not the one who stands there while on vent yelling "HEAL ME N00B!!!!"
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
03/29/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Naérdriel
are hopefully high enough caliber that they eat their lock cookies, drink their poitions and use every self heal they have.

I think you missed the point. When the healers are dead, there are no rezzes, and you are about to win, this means you are at the end of a fight. If you are a dps, you have already taken your dps potion at that point. If you have already taken a dps potion, you cannot take a healing potion given you can take only one potion during combat.

If you are not at the end of a fight, by contrast, you shouldn't take a healing potion. If, for example, you are in the middle and have not bloodlusted yet; if healers are alive; if there are rezzes available - as a dps you *definitely should not* take a healing pot. You are not a good dps if you don't save your pot for an increased primary stat during bloodlust / personal cooldowns / execute phase.

Now lock cookies, I agree with you there. I love those things.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm saying that if there's say, 5% left on garalon (I've seen this) and you're the last one up, a lowly dps... you should do EVERYTHING in your power to put that last 5% to rest. If that's lock rocks, pots, self heals... so be it.

Unless your RL calls you to wipe it (I've seen some grumpy RL's call on such situations).

But the players that are capable of this in the first place, are general the ones who already know this, and will be using everything available to them to succeed.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
5% left on garalon (I've seen this) and you're the last one up

And all I'm saying is that a healing potion will not be available at that point, because I will have already used my Jade Serpent potion.

Obviously everyone should be using personal defensive cooldowns and lock cookies. But the discussion was about whether dps should be using healing potions. I honestly cannot think of any situation where it would ever happen.
Edited by Taymage on 3/29/2013 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Players at that level will be much LESS likely to be in anything like that scenario. The healers playing at that level will be very, very unlikely to put their dps in that sort of position. The dps will have likely already repotted if it's really that close to the end.

Also, Taymage said what I meant, better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I just don't think it's very likely myself. It's so many variables going into one little situation.

Players at that level will be much LESS likely to be in anything like that scenario. The healers playing at that level will be very, very unlikely to put their dps in that sort of position. The dps will have likely already repotted if it's really that close to the end.

Also, Taymage said what I meant, better.

I'm not saying that they should be poting heals, I'm just saying the situation does exist, but it's not likely. I don't honestly see the point in expecting my dps to pot heals, when there are better things for them to be doing.

But eat your candy or I'll smack you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Candy, yes. (I really really like my raid team, but I do sometimes secretly want to turn one of them into a lock.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/29/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Taymage
5% left on garalon (I've seen this) and you're the last one up

And all I'm saying is that a healing potion will not be available at that point, because I will have already used my Jade Serpent potion.

Obviously everyone should be using personal defensive cooldowns and lock cookies. But the discussion was about whether dps should be using healing potions. I honestly cannot think of any situation where it would ever happen.

I don't think I would ever criticize a DPS for not using a health potion in a raid. Lock cookies? Yes. Personal CD's? Yes. Health Potion? Um, no. They should be double potting.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
If you are a DPS, and die because you didn't use a Healing potion, then you either made a mistake or really enjoy dying.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If you are a DPS, and die because you didn't use a Healing potion, then you either made a mistake or really enjoy dying.

I'm conviced some of them do enjoy dying.

ON a completely unrelated note, I made lock cookies....irl....

Citrus Shot Blocks
http://www.amazon.com/Clifbar-Clif-Shot-Bloks-Citrus/dp/B006XXOT46

With inbedded pop rocks.

Now you know.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Or because my potion CD is on cooldown from doing what I'm supposed to do, and not available to do your job for you..
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage

No. This is completely wrong.

If you are a dps and are about to die in the middle of the fight (when a potion cooldown is available), you are a *bad* dps if you take a healing potion. To survive, you should use defensive cooldowns and/or take a lock cookie. You should never take a healing potion at this point in the fight. If you do that, you will be severely gimping your raid, and will be a bad dps.

If you are a dps and are about to die a the end of a fight (when a potion cooldown is *not* available because you have already taken your dps potion), you *cannot* take a healing potion because you can take only one potion during combat and you have already used it on the dps potion. Again, in that situation, you should use defensive cooldowns and lock cookies.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]