PVE help, running out of mana

90 Undead Priest
So i currently dont have MoP yet, so im stuck at 85, and im holy. im finding it very hard to heal during heroics, and frequently running out of mana during the boss fights. Can anyone take a look at my gear? or maybe give me some hints on healing, this is my first healer also.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
You need more Spirit.

Other than that, I suspect you're not healing correctly. Pulling from a recent post I made (for 90s, but relevant at your level as well):

Holy

Key Abilities

Chakra: Serenity
    Holy Word: Serenity
    Renew
    Heal
    Greater Heal
    PoM
    PoH
    CoH

Chakra: Chastise

Cooldowns

Guardian Spirit
    Divine Hymn
    Lightwell/Lightspring

Gameplay

You'll probably spend most of your time in Chakra: Serenity in 5-mans. Renew should be on the tank and anyone who has taken damage and will not immediately continue to take damage. HW: Serenity should be kept on CD. Heal will be your main filler, unless you're comfortable with waiting longer and using Greater Heal as needed.

In hectic situations, Guardian Spirit on the tank, Greater Heal more liberally. You may need to consider FHx2 > Greater Heal with HW:Serenity on cooldown. PoM and PoH for stronger group damage. I personally don't use CoH much, unless the damage is very light and I know damage won't be taken again (rendering Renew less useful).

Don't be afraid to use Divine Hymn often. Lightspring v Lightwell will depend on how often you feel people will fall low enough to trigger Lightspring, and whether you think anyone will click the Lightwell. I tend to place more faith in Lightwell, and will use it generously myself.

Mana

Tighter than Disc's, but still absolutely manageable. (However, arguably better at the earliest stages of gear, when Disc isn't breaking even with Rapture.)

Talent Suggestions

Void Tendrils: See Disc explanation

B&S/AF: I still prefer AF, but B&S is a strong option because you should be able to guarantee its use (at least the first time you need it).

Mindbender/Solace: You really don't get much out of FDCL. If you're comfortable with using Solace on CD for the mana, go for it (especially if you can tie it into ToF). Otherwise, Mindbender should be your choice.

DP/Bulwark: See Disc explanation

ToF/PI: You probably won't see as much ToF uptime as you would with Disc unless you're actively hunting it. That said, either choice is strong.

Cascade: See Disc explanation

Glyph Suggestions

Lightspring: If you're worried about people dropping below 50% fairly often, take this.

Renew: Strong choice when you're using HW:Serenity often to refresh (and increase) the duration.

PoM: If you're using PoM mainly on the tank, this is a decent option.

I find others to be mostly meh. Holy Fire is okay if you're using Solace. Avoid CoH and Lightwell (you won't use the extra charges).
Edited by Elethia on 3/27/2013 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
EASY FIX.

CARRY MANA POTIONS. IM SERIOUS.

POP ONE AS SOON AS YOU ARE A BIT LOW IN MANA, YOU SHOULD HAVE TIME TO POP AJNOTHER ONE BEFORE FIGHT IS OVER.

MANA POTIONS ARE VERY UNDER-RATED.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
You can only use one Potion per fight. You can squeeze in two if you use one BEFORE the pull. However, a mana potion would be a poor choice for that since you start a fight at full mana.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
EASY FIX.

CARRY MANA POTIONS. IM SERIOUS.

POP ONE AS SOON AS YOU ARE A BIT LOW IN MANA, YOU SHOULD HAVE TIME TO POP AJNOTHER ONE BEFORE FIGHT IS OVER.

MANA POTIONS ARE VERY UNDER-RATED.

Writing your message in all caps does not make it look or read as more important or correct.

In fact, in this case, it draws attention to your error. One cannot pop multiple mana potions in one fight. Nor are mana potions going to help a player learn better mana management (or necessarily be enough to keep someone from ooming if they are mismanaging their mana).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Disc spec+mindbender talent makes it easier to manage your mana. With this spec, you can just spam holy fire, smite and penance, and it should be enough for 5mans.
I don't like healing 5mans in holy spec especially when I'm not geared well.
Casting a few direct heals and you're oom. Even though holy has divine hymn, still I think it's lacking power to save your group from irregular.(happens quite often in pug groups you know)

Also, get spirit gems into your gear. It helps alot.
Edited by Wx on 3/28/2013 4:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
When I find myself running low on mana during certain fights I change up my talents. I tend to take Mindbender (1 minute CD) which gives a good return on mana, and I choose Divine Insight (free insta-PoMs).

As a previous poster mentioned, bring Mana Potions. I can honestly say I have used them on occasions in dungeons, sometimes I forget to drink prior to pulls. Also, you have Hymn of Hope, use it. Even if you have to cut it short due to damage, use it for 2-3 seconds, stop, and you'll get some additional mana to continue casting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
So i currently dont have MoP yet, so im stuck at 85, and im holy. im finding it very hard to heal during heroics, and frequently running out of mana during the boss fights. Can anyone take a look at my gear? or maybe give me some hints on healing, this is my first healer also.

Lets start with you have no gems and I didn't see any enchants. Half your gear is hit meaning you don't have spirit on it. So lets start there.Then we can talk about how Holy has mana issues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]