Heroic Horridon and Direhorn Spirit

90 Blood Elf Priest
Need some help from fellow Disc priests on the best way to handle this guy. I know shadow priests can throw SW:P/VT on them and that takes care of them for the most part due to their mastery. Don't think swp works well for disc so need some suggestions.
Edited by Dasaq on 3/27/2013 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hello Dasaq,

Usually as a healer you will not get a pink dino until the last gate or burn phase which is awesomesauce. I have found that mindbender or shadowfiend(preferrably) work wonders for this task. If you time out shadowfiend earlier in the fight so it will be available around when the burn phase starts its perfect. Sick your fiend on him and he will be a mile away for a solid 30 seconds or so. After this I usually holyfire/solace him on CD and weave in smites, trying to save penances for the boss but using them for emergency dino knockbacks. One thing to note about using penance for knockbacks, it seems that if he is farther away penance will knock back twice, if close only once. Also video of our kill below from my perspective with some sexy dino action near the end. Our first kill so I was a bit panicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb7UHLaU9IM&list=UU43Vbjdu0FZYpIOitvOqt1Q&index=3
Edited by Ovi on 3/27/2013 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Other things to note: During 4th gate, its pretty safe to stand away from the raid to atonement heal, but good god do not stand close to the boss. The pink dino can literally spawn on top of you. Happened last night to me. Another tip that I figured out during that attempt was that I needed to run the opposite way of the tank when I was charged near the end instead of torwards the tank like we normally do, that or dont let your dino be in that path like mine was.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yea i was using shadowfiend for it when we got to the final phase which worked out well. I just hate having to hardcast on it when i need to start casting SS. Our shadowpriest would just throw two dots on it and it would be on the other side of the room for such a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
With how many raid damage redux cooldowns there are in a 25 man, you may find that pure atonement spam on the boss in the last phase will yield a much higher HPS and also provide some nice tank saves, especially if you can get your T14 4-set bonus back in play.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Be sure to have some sort of macro or manually make your MB continue to hit the dino. If you DPS the boss too much, Mindbender will switch to Horridon.

Like Ovi said Penance can get you two knockbacks but if your haste is too high the ticks won't be far enough apart to do it. I'd still keep SW:P handy for when you get charged and need an immediate knockback or the dino is really close because you've been blanketing SS on the raid before a Dire Call.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Just turn and solace or penance / smite them . Shouldn't be an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It has nothing to do with it being an issue but more of what is the best method to use to maximize hps. Using penance on them without the guarantee of knocking them back more than once is a huge hps loss and definitely not one worth casting.

The best best idea i've come up with in terms of hps is to spec into Mindbender and use it roughly 13-14seconds before the Dire Call. That should give you more than enough time to stack Spirit Shell up on the raid before it hits without worrying about the Spirit. One minute between Dire calls so fiend should be available for every one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
With how many raid damage redux cooldowns there are in a 25 man, you may find that pure atonement spam on the boss in the last phase will yield a much higher HPS and also provide some nice tank saves, especially if you can get your T14 4-set bonus back in play.

Spirit Shell will destroy any type of atonement healing done in the last phase from what i've seen even with the dps increase.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
With PI and more people to stack shell on, I could see how it could be the case.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Killed it tonight pretty easily. Mindbender is amazing for those direhorns. It knocked it all the way to the other side and by the time it got to me fiend had 10 seconds left on its CD lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
My guild is having trouble between 3rd & 4th gate with healers getting those pink dinosaurs. The ranged DPS are fine, just focus it, when it gets in range you hit it. As for the healers, they are wasting GCDs trying to fend it off when they should be healing the tanks. Tanks tend to take a lot of damage at that 4th door.

I just want to say I hate the entire Heroic Horridon fight. Too many adds, too much going on, too much insta-gib. You can die instantly if you find yourself suddenly in a sandtrap or a poison pool.
Edited by Waynebrady on 3/28/2013 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Dasaq,
Grats on the kill. You will probably find that it is more difficult the first time around and gets significantly easier each week.

Waynebrady,
If healers are getting pink dinos between 3rd and 4th gate, could this mean you are maybe running too many healers for this encounter? We only use 2 on 10 man and its manageable. The sand traps have an animation and sound effect a few seconds before landing and the poison on the ground comes from underneath the feet of the effulgent adds.
Edited by Ovi on 3/28/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mindbender. All. The. Way.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Ovi,

We have tried 2 healing it and 3 healing it. In both scenarios we are getting to the 3rd/4th door. I think the problem is we are melee heavy, we have 3 ranged DPS and 3 melee DPS (with 2 healers, we have 2 heals, 3 ranged, 3 melee, 2 tanks, with 3 healers we have 3 ranged, 2 melee, 2 tanks). I think healers are getting the Pink dino because the 3 ranged already have it, and it moves on to a healer by the 4th door.

I think that being melee heavy is hurting us. The ranged DPS don't seem to die nearly as often as our melee.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
being melee heavy is hurting us

YUP

Not really any secret that ranged have it way easier on Horridon. Melee are the ones who receive the majority of debuffs that need to be cleansed and have to deal much more with living poison/sand traps/lightning totems. Most ranged can also dot Horridon while killing adds which helps with the tight enrage. World of Rangedcraft, etc.
Edited by Nixxin on 3/29/2013 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
When you fixated by it, delay your next Mindbender cast till you're ready to SS. That way, you'll have your Mindbender ready to knock it back every time you need to use SS.

I would also suggest making a macro to target it and Horridon to allow you to quickly switch between the two.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Not really any secret that ranged have it way easier on Horridon. Melee are the ones who receive the majority of debuffs that need to be cleansed and have to deal much more with living poison/sand traps/lightning totems. Most ranged can also dot Horridon while killing adds which helps with the tight enrage. World of Rangedcraft, etc.

Eh, apart from Blazing, most of the other debuffs can easily be avoided by your melee if they're paying attention.

The only major downside to being a melee on the fight is getting a Direhorn Spirit, but that only happens very rarely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/29/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Ceddya

Eh, apart from Blazing, most of the other debuffs can easily be avoided by your melee if they're paying attention.

The only major downside to being a melee on the fight is getting a Direhorn Spirit, but that only happens very rarely.

You must be 25man because on 10, everyone has a spirit by the 2nd phase including tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
just a thought, I built in to my holy fire macro a /cast [@focus,exists] before my usual @target. As soon as you get your direbeast just focus it, and then every holy fire will target it without you switching off boss.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]