Solar beam glyph change - WHY?

How did we ever get rbg teams in cata with the little solar beam? The sky is falling!

You people are sad.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
No not said nor is this a qq fest
This is simply feed back in what we can all see is boomkins being nerfed OVER and OVER again!

Balance in this game is far from tethering ZOMG lets bring that boomkin.

Our Mushroom mechanic is useless in pvp -
Displacer beast - nerfed for some odd reason?
Now our only viable skill - solar beam is being nerfed?
I feel horrible for those 2500+ rbgs boomkins; Please tell me without our solar beam, why would we be invited?

We will not get invited to rbgs - there is no point when any other class can provide more utility then a druid with our cyclone on same dr as everything else, please enlighten me on what our dps can do?

Would love some input from some rbgs leaders NOT "oh hey looky, I play in arena all day every day."
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
03/30/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Jooshbag

Stop throwing around "viable" like everything is Black and White. There is grey area. Everything is situational. There are spells with excel in different environments when compare to others. Spell Design 101.

I feel horrible for those 2500+ rbgs boomkins; Please tell me without our solar beam, why would we be invited?

Did they remove Solar Beam? No? Flawed argument.

Resto Druid escape was insane. Moonkins caught the flak as with every other nerf to the druid class. Reasoning explained.

Honestly now. What are you complaining about? Solar Beam was not nerfed. The glyph has changed. Solar Beam is now normalized. Regardless of what you THINK is going to happen, skillful and strategic uses of abilities is not going to change all. In no way does this change effect your ability to perform in RBGs, Arenas, etc. For all I care, everything you call a "nerf" is what I called "balance." GG+Vortex+Beam is still going to be a very, very powerful combination. If you think the radius being normalized is going to ruin your RBG spot, then you honestly do not play your specc very well. It's laughable to think the ability is worthless--as implied by [you]-- because concept of the ability has not changed. It's a steaming golden shower of !@#$ which is still untrinkable, synergistic with various abilities from other classes, and is valuable against all but 2 classes (Rogue, Warrior).

I'll say it again. Honestly now. What are you complaining about?

And just to add: They removed Solar Beam from the "Glyph of Omens" effect. I agree with this. Solar Beam is off the GCD and this glyph would be required in PVE. Good change, doesn't effect PvP at all.
Edited by Cyous on 3/30/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Sometimes I do feel like Blizzard unnecessarily nerfs moonkin, which would be fine if there were clear cut reasoning, but I never felt like moonkin were particularly outstanding in either pvp or pve. Their burst is respectable, but not the best. Moonkin already have atrocious mobility with their spells, perhaps some solutions could be looked at to resolve that. I suggested on a previous thread that a solar eclipse triggers either 5 seconds or 2 spells of moving while casting. I think it's astounding that warlocks can get 100% of their dps on the move with just a minor movement speed decrease, but when moonkin have to move we rely on the ages old moonfire or sunfire spam for damage which cuts our dps down to a tiny fraction of our potential.

The moonfire spam never made sense to me. Why push such a silly looking and feeling idea? It doesn't make sense at all that any spellcaster in Azeroth would resort to such a strange repetition, and as a player it feels cheap and simple. I want there to be a smarter, more skillful choice to make on the move, but unless there are targets to multidot, that doesn't exist.

edit: haha sorry I fell off topic of the solar beam nerf. I do think the idea of pushing our eclipses a little faster by using our utility spells might make us think a little more in pvp. after all, more lunar eclipses means more dot damage, another starfall, and the 15% spell haste is pretty noticeable. it also presents the choice of using utility spells during an eclipse. do we NEED the utility right there, or can we wait until we're out of the eclipse so that we get the lunar/solar power as well?
Edited by Balancer on 3/30/2013 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/30/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Cyous

Stop throwing around "viable" like everything is Black and White. There is grey area. Everything is situational. There are spells with excel in different environments when compare to others. Spell Design 101.

Did they remove Solar Beam? No? Flawed argument.

Resto Druid escape was insane. Moonkins caught the flak as with every other nerf to the druid class. Reasoning explained.

Honestly now. What are you complaining about? Solar Beam was not nerfed. The glyph has changed. Solar Beam is now normalized. Regardless of what you THINK is going to happen, skillful and strategic uses of abilities is not going to change all. In no way does this change effect your ability to perform in RBGs, Arenas, etc. For all I care, everything you call a "nerf" is what I called "balance." GG+Vortex+Beam is still going to be a very, very powerful combination. If you think the radius being normalized is going to ruin your RBG spot, then you honestly do not play your specc very well. It's laughable to think the ability is worthless--as implied by [you]-- because concept of the ability has not changed. It's a steaming golden shower of !@#$ which is still untrinkable, synergistic with various abilities from other classes, and is valuable against all but 2 classes (Rogue, Warrior).

I'll say it again. Honestly now. What are you complaining about?

And just to add: They removed Solar Beam from the "Glyph of Omens" effect. I agree with this. Solar Beam is off the GCD and this glyph would be required in PVE. Good change, doesn't effect PvP at all.

You are ignoring what the main issue we have with the nerf: unglyphed solar beam IS NOTHING in an RBG. If u disagree then try doing RBGs without the glyph and have a DK grip into it. See how worthless it is then talk. With the glyph it's meant to be a great aoe cc. Without it, you'll be lucky to silence anyone for longer than 2 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Cyous there are some things we do well in pvp such as our spread damage and another source of cyclones and off heals but the number 1 thing druids were wanted for in rbgs was solar beam. It's also huge in arena... I think the default size should be somewhere between what it is now and glyphed... The question is why was solar beam nerfed while monks are given something that is just as good if not better that can also synergize well with things like gorefiends grasp, vortex, etc. Why limit our comps in arena further by making it harder to use this ability? Frankly if its going to be neutered so much it would be better to give us a conventional interrupt.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Hunter
The fact that solar beam is being changed to Glyph of Omens is honestly mind boggling to me.. what the is that worthless glyph gonna do for me we already have astral communication to get in an eclipse? There is no need for worthless garbage like that not to mention the ONLY reason people take boomkins in rbgs is for grip solar beams and now you're nerfing them and giving a completely useless glyph and ruining the purpose of having a boomkin in rbgs?

What happened to nerfing some actually OP classes such as SPRIESTS, DEATH KNIGHTS, MAGES, ETC??? OH THERES NO REASON TO DO THAT LETS JUST NERF BOOMKINS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T ALREADY THE MOST UNDERPOWERED CASTER IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW OR ANYTHING.... complete joke.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
They won't invite boomkins because of our amazing spread damage, cyclone, and push? We still bring plenty to the table. We were good in battle grounds before the solar beam glyph and we will be good when its gone. I don't like the change, but I won't pretend to be ignorant to the reasoning behind it.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Boomkins still bring "plenty to the table" at the RBG bracket you play at. I don't think anyone gives a rat's !@# what class they take for low-mmr games.

At higher level play, boomkins are mainly taken for solar beam (and typhoon, on certain maps) because it is very OP when coupled with a DK's mass grip. This may be news to you but usually an equally geared/skilled lock will do more spread damage WHILE having much better (and controlled) burst and, on top of that, beat boomkins in overall cc's. A well-played lock will also destroy a boomkin in killing blows, which unlike in random bgs, is a very important stat in RBGs.

Stop talking about things you are clueless about.

Grip beam is still viable, and you guys are all whiners. If you get "replaced by some random shmuck warlock" you probably suck to begin with.

Really funny coming from someone who has absolutely zero pvp achievements.

Stop talking about things you are clueless about, chump.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How did we ever get rbg teams in cata with the little solar beam? The sky is falling!

You people are sad.

^ Another clueless guy pretending to know what he's talking about.

Solar beam is only OP because of DK's mass grip.

But more importantly, boomkins had amazing AOE damage in Cataclysm, nothing compared to the watered-down crap we have in MoP. This might be hard for you to figure out, but there's a damn good reason why RBG teams stack warlocks and not boomkins (even with the OP solar beam).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yea i would have liked it considering you are forced into barkskin, solarbeam and moonbeast.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Ohh yes..

Thank you druid community for saying what I could not. This guy doesn't understand the politics of boomkin and why we don't get invited to rbgs -

After this nerf, I have a strong feeling were going to be left out to dry. I would be extremely impressed to see some high rating boomkins hard cast time in a 2500 + rating.

We DON"T HAVE TIME TO HARD CAST!! I would feel much more viable if say mushrooms had some viability or our treeants were not complete garbage.
Our solar beam has been a corner stone of our Utility for this entire expansion and its the ONLY unique talent we have. ok ok , I take that back - vortex has some crazy implications. But my point is we don't feel unique what so ever.

When melee sit on us we die! I don't care how amazing you are - getting sat on by either a rogue / hunter / warrior / dk - ams is fun fyi / monk / enhance shaman / I would mention ele but yea, will leave that alone /

Now, I can sit here and compare classes to classes and QQ moar about our viability but that would provide no constructive feed back.

What we are inferring to in this thread is the fact druids as a whole feel underpar in all three forms - I do take note regarding the recent change from resto, TY
Boomkins need something else now that our solar beam is being changed. Moreover, the proposed mechanic provides no versatility! Astral communion is the same "bonus" or ability does nothing to help our situation; We need something else to "bring to the table" so to speak -

In summation, this new "change", as i will call it, just puts more merit into my argument that boomkins do NOT out dps many classes, are not over stacked in pve nor pvp; why would you change our one and only ability that makes boomkins - boomkins?

Please leave our solar beam alone and provide us with something useful, please?
Edited by Jooshbag on 3/31/2013 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This needs more attention.
Edited by Bellë on 5/9/2013 3:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Now that they nerfed mass grip to only affect 4 targets, can we get our radius back on beam?

Solar Beam is only OP to idiots that like to stack up on top of each other. There's probably a good reason why you don't see anyone crying about how OP solar beam is in arenas.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
so true..... only thing keeping us viable in 2s in heart of the wild and in arena altogether is solar beam. The new solar beam is half the size of a smoke bomb and is more responsive...... I am nearly fully geared and i hit 22k noncrit against fully resil players... WIthout my 10secs of Cds which is usually peeled every 3 mins we are useless.... I still cant believe they haven't touched mushrooms, Blizzard arnt even buffing Boomkin from previous patches nerfs....
they nerf displacer because resto druids where OP, They nerf typhoon as it was OP for resto druids..... Glyph of omens is not a good enough buff.... right now Boomkins in arena... well i have played 100 odd games over my other characters in arena around 1800-2100 and i havent seen a single Boomy team apart from maybe one or two at 1800. And to this stupid Ret pally above us saying grip beam is still viable? the new solar beam is so small they dont have to run out of the Ursola vortex to be out of the solar beam. Sick of them nerfing druids for RBGS or nerfing resto without thinking about arena or other specs... its lazy and im sick of it
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
And no solar beam is Not OP. pallys have bubble and silence aura, mages have block,monks have movement like roll,resto druids ussally run with mages and have block or displacer/enragebear, shamys have there 5 sec unsilenceable usable in solarbeam. warriors have leap,charge,safeguard. Rogues cloak,vanish,step.....etc 1000 more examples, and any good team will peel the solarbeam off.... Sick of bads whining about a avoidable utility.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
RoC
I like this thread.

Additions: And more importantly, Belle.
Edited by Snub on 5/9/2013 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Given how fast some other classes can kill people, and how much control they have over fights *while* they are killing you, this is just a /boggle.

Really? Boomies are OP? lol. I'll remember that the next time I die 100%-0 in one stunlock, or get chain CC'd by DK or Mage spam.

/shrug. I think I will just go back to playing my other DPS toons and join in the alpha strike/CC parade.

I guess we will see what happens over all with all of the changes coming in 5.3, but as it stands now I'm fairly sick of the ever present stun lock/melee train that is WoW PvP and seems like it has been since S4. At least in S4 you were hard to kill lol.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/09/2013 11:02 AMPosted by Megas
Really? Boomies are OP? lol. I'll remember that the next time I die 100%-0 in one stunlock

It's not even enjoyable anymore by listening to the funny sounds we make, cuz we die too quick to even hear them anymore...

So now all that's left is pure frustration with no comic relief.

BTW.... necro'd thread is necro'd
Edited by Jubz on 5/9/2013 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
To be completely honest unless you are running in high MMR RBGs this nerf won't affect us very much. Low to mid MMR groups almost never take advantage of the Grip-Vortex-Beam tactic.

Also even if they didn't nerf solar beam the Grip-Vortex-Beam combo wouldn't be as effective as before. Gorfiend's Grasp is getting nerfed as well. In PvP it will only grab a maximum of 4 targets. So Higher MMR groups my have to rethink the tactic altogether.

As a moonkin you bring a lot to the table. You have decent CC in Cyclone, and roots. You can get instant CC with longer durations if you macro Nature's Swiftness to them. You can "Soothe" enrage effects. You can "hibernate" hunter pets. You can "Faerie Fire" rogues to stop them from stealthing. Not to mention the huge spread, and burst damage you can put out as a moonkin. If you're using Nature's Vigil you will passively heal while doing damage during your burst, which adds up. If you use HotW you can put out major heals while using the CD. A nature's swiftness + healing touch macro with HotW up can save you or any team mate from death. or a HotW+ Tranq is amazing. You also bring symbiosis. You can give flag carrying tanks, and extra defensive CD which is really good. You give rogues a very good defensive CD. Warlocks, and mages get heals from us. Disc priests get cylcone :D. etc.

All in all just make use of what you still have, less QQ more Pew Pew
Edited by Zultani on 5/9/2013 11:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

As a moonkin you bring a lot to the table. You have decent CC in Cyclone, and roots. You can get instant CC with longer durations if you macro Nature's Swiftness to them. You can "Soothe" enrage effects. You can "hibernate" hunter pets. You can "Faerie Fire" rogues to stop them from stealthing. Not to mention the huge spread, and burst damage you can put out as a moonkin. If you're using Nature's Vigil you will passively heal while doing damage during your burst, which adds up. If you use HotW you can put out major heals while using the CD. A nature's swiftness + healing touch macro with HotW up can save you or any team mate from death. or a HotW+ Tranq is amazing. You also bring symbiosis. You can give flag carrying tanks, and extra defensive CD which is really good. You give rogues a very good defensive CD. Warlocks, and mages get heals from us. Disc priests get cylcone :D. etc.

Yes, we do have pretty good cc - cyclone is one of the best cc in game. That said, other classes have really good cc's too. Rogues, mages, and warlocks have amazing cc toolkits. In fact, I'd go so far and say those three classes have better cc's than boomkins.

Yes, we do good spread/aoe damage, but spread/aoe damage doesn't get you kills in arenas or rbgs. If you take a look at a boomkins damage breakdown, 50-60% of his total damage will be from sunfire/moonfire. This is worthless damage (and easily healable), in both arenas and rbgs, where burst is what lands you the all important kills.

Again, passive healing is great and all that, but it doesn't stop burst.

Not going to lie, symbiosis is great when paired with the right class.

Once the solar beam radius nerf goes through, most teams looking to min-max will replace their boomkin with another lock, since they can do everything boomkins do, only much better with much better burst and executes. They will also stomp a boomkin in total cc's.

Now that they nerfed mass grip to only affect 4 targets, can we get our radius back on beam?

Solar Beam is only OP to idiots that like to stack up on top of each other. There's probably a good reason why you don't see anyone crying about how OP solar beam is in arenas.

Most classes can get out of current vortex/beam in 5 seconds or less. It gets even easier to deal with if you have a non-retarded hpal. The radius nerf to beam will really cripple it, and make the 1 min cooldown on beam very unreasonable.

It's pretty funny seeing boomkins eat the nerf while mages get off scotch-free in 5.3.

Plus, they should have given the warlock execute to boomkins. Why does the class with the best (albeit one with a long cast time) on-demand burst, also get an execute when boomkins get practically nothing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]