WoW graphics worse after hardware upgrades.

100 Undead Rogue
I just got some hardware updates. Went from Intel Core 2 duo to an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz and added 2GB of RAM. I'm using the same graphics card. An old NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT. Does anyone have any clue as to why my performance went down?
Edited by Subtlety on 3/27/2013 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I heard before that WoW and most games are optimized for duo cores and that they don't understand the architecture of quad cores well enough to utilize fully. I wouldn't expect your performance to go down with said upgrades but I wouldn't have expected it to improve noticeably either. If the gpu is still the same the game should run about the same with the same fps and the increase in RAM and processing should improve stuff like the speed the launcher pops up and tabbing out etc. This is just my opinion though. You went from an Intel cpu to an AMD cpu - you changed the mobo / got a new computer and put your old card in it? GPUs and RAM and cpus all usually have preferred brands and models they like to work with so this might be the reason for the decreased performance as well. I think the rule of thumb was that NVIDIA liked to work with Intel and AMD liked to work with Radeon (AMD). Mismatching components can sometimes lead to the system never reaching its full potential. Discouraging though regardless. Make sure you have all your drivers updated.

Disclaimer: not an expert, no reference material - just personal experience and understanding of computers with some things I heard/read before
Edited by Biledriver on 3/27/2013 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
What is your power supply? Also need to check the power settings on your machine and depending on your motherboard make sure its set to optimal. My sabertooth has three prest setting for the bios, make sure it set to preformance.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I definitely see the improvement of little things like tabbing out and what not. I have heard other people on other forums say something about AMD being a little better with Radeon, but everyone's consensus is that it should not drastically effect anything. Only minor difference.

My current PSU is a Corsair 600W, it's also brand new. I haven't heard anything about the power optimization.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Also note that my performance decreased dramatically. From running at about 30-40 FPS on Ultra, to 4-6 on all settings.

I also just turned off all add-ons and then turned on only needed ones. Increased improvement slightly. After that I changed the resolution down to a smaller setting it pushed me up to a 18-30 FPS which is playable, but my settings are only on good.

It must be a software issue and I'm guessing that it has to do with the fact that my current hard drive was in a dell and had all of the dell settings on it. I installed all of the drivers for the new hardware and the video card update the drivers for it as well.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Hay mate, I see you're having an issue similar to what I was experiencing. Unfortunately, I don't think my solution works as we are in slightly different situations.

Anyways, I was having ridiculous frame issues and I resolved it by clean uninstalling all my AMD drivers (I use a Radeon card) and then fresh installing the latest beta drivers. Seeing as how you didn't get a new GPU though, that's probably not the case.

What MAY be the case is that you have some leftover software or drivers from your Intel CPU. I know AMD has some software for it's CPUs, such as Dual Core Optimizer.

Also, don't Intel and AMD processors always use different sockets? Did you have to change your mobo?

It must be a software issue and I'm guessing that it has to do with the fact that my current hard drive was in a dell and had all of the dell settings on it. I installed all of the drivers for the new hardware and the video card update the drivers for it as well.

Did the Dell use different hardware? If so, clean sweep as many drivers that you don't use as you can. As I've learned from my experience, they can interfere in some ways and severely impact performance. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of any tools to sweep for them. The only one I can think of is the Catalyst Uninstall tool and that only works for AMD video/audio drivers.

Anyways, sorry if I'm not much help. I'm just hoping that since our ailments were similar that the treatment might be similar as well...
Edited by Jokaste on 3/28/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Also note that my performance decreased dramatically. From running at about 30-40 FPS on Ultra, to 4-6 on all settings.

I also just turned off all add-ons and then turned on only needed ones. Increased improvement slightly. After that I changed the resolution down to a smaller setting it pushed me up to a 18-30 FPS which is playable, but my settings are only on good.

Something is definitely not configured properly. Or, you have malfunctioning or outdated addons (these can also cause severe FPS loss). As for the dual core/quad core thing...WOW primarily uses 2 cores, with some lesser stuff running on a third. The CPU you have now is definitely better than the old one, for WOW. It sounds like your video or chipset drivers are not installed correctly, or you have some addon messing with WOW.

That said, if you are using a 9500 GT, that is a very old video card, and I wouldn't really expect it to perform much better than that (30fps that is).
Edited by Mogrigg on 3/28/2013 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]