Green Fire Boss Guide: Casuals / iLvl 450-470

98 Undead Warlock
Green Fire Boss Guide (Kanrethad): Casuals / iLvl 450-470
No Need to Quit

Background (Feel free to skip down to the Guide/Script)

I came back to WoW in 5.2 specifically to try for the Green Fire warlock quest line. I was lucky enough to get the Tome drop around day three of the patch and dropped the final boss about a week and a half later. This fight is doable with lower ilvl gear (most of mine was blue pvp gear with a couple purples from LFR, some so-so enchants, reforges, and gems), relies on following a scripted set of actions (I can see someone creating an addon DBM style just for this encounter), and does not rely on luck very much. Depending on your personality, however, the frustration can be the greatest obstacle.

If you are like me, the psychology of the encounter may have a much greater impact than some gear or enchants one way or the other. Expect to die a lot, repeatedly, and SOMETIMES to simply bad luck (but normally you just didn't play perfect). Expect to die with one mistake or miscalculation, and don't take it personally or too hard. Take it slowly and allot a specific amount of time (1 flask, 3 attempts, until gear breaks, until 7 pm, etc.) and stick to it. If you are the sort of person that can burn through 30 deaths in one night and not be frustrated, then you are more tenacious/stubborn than I. After a half an hour or an hour of failed attempts the frustration starts to take a tole on my playing and makes it worse. This is supposed to be for fun, for a cosmetic effect in a game. Relax. It'll be OK. Expect "perfect" attempts to be ruined by things like: Lag, Imp Stuns, Mis-pressed Keys, Falling Keyboards, etc. Don't worry about it. It happens. Take a break or give it another attempt and laugh about it.

This fight reminds me of old 8-bit style video games where one mistake was fatal, and there were many mistakes to be made; platform jumpers with twitchy controls, three lives only, and there was no way to save your game, just start all over. I frankly do not like this style and I feel harkens back to an older school (and much more punishing) philosophy in game design. It is what it is, though, and that more hardcore no-mistakes-allowed perspective has it's place in things... and this is how I got through it being a casual player (it does feel very good when you finally get through it.) There are many ways to do this fight, so adjust as you need and create your own "script."

So here's the idea:

The fight's mechanics can all be worked with your class abilities. A high item level allows for a greater margin of error and faster kill time. Lower item level allows for very little to no margin of error and a longer kill time, so long that you'll need to double the enrage timer. (Get some purification potions and use them if you get past phase two of the doom lords when you're getting low on the timer)

Each time you do something RIGHT, remember what it was and after the attempt write down what you did that worked. Make a list. Make a script. If you burned through the imps one time like butter because you did X and Y, then write that down for next time. If you managed to avoid Enslave Demon being broken by the puppies and you took them down in 5 seconds, write it down. If you forgot to refresh Demonic Circle at 5 minutes into the fight and this killed you, write it down as a reminder. Once you have a script for yourself try following it. Have a friend or room mate call it out to you as you play; a second pair of eyes is great at reminding you to keep Rain of Fire up, or remind you to drink your Purification Potion when you are are 10 seconds away from being killed by the enrage timer. Follow your own script. If you make a mistake, try again. If you script doesn't work, then revise it and try again. If random chance killed you, try again. There are a lot of things to think about and juggle...

GUIDE:

This works with Destruction spec, Important glyphs are Enslave Demon. Talents are Soul Leech, Shadowfury, Sacrificial Pact, Burning Rush, Grimoire of Sacrifice, Kil'Jaeden's Cunning.

DPSing Priority - Curse of Elements, Immolate, Rain of Fire - Conflag and Incinerate / Chaos Bolt when available

Pit Lord - Stun with Shadowfury and Enslave. Use pit lord health funnel to heal yourself. Charge is AOE stun and 100% damage multiplier debuff. Breath is AoE which dispels magical effects on you. Walk into it often.

Massive Chaos Bolt - Demonic portal, circle, etc. away from it to hide OR eat it (absorb) with Sacrificial Pact. If you need Sacrificial Pact during other phases for damage mitigation, then dodge the Bolt.

Cataclysm - Interrupt this with the Pit Lord's Charge. If you are NOT dealing next with felhunters, then queue up a chaos bolt first, then charge, then cast another while he's still stunned. This helps DPS quite a bit due to the damage multiplier.

Imp Swarm - Wait several seconds for them all to arrive. Send in Pit Lord. Rain of Fire. Charge. Breath. Fire and Brimstone Conflag/Immolate/Incinerate. Keep up Rain of Fire.

Felhunters - Save up Embers before hand. Send Pit Lord to the RIGHT side of the gate (as you face it). Rain of Fire constantly the portal. Conflag felhunter #1, Havoc felhunter #2, (refresh rain of fire), Popcooldowns Chaos Bolt felhunter #3 (while you cast this, CHARGE the hunter with pit lord. This will likely kill hunters #2 and #3). Chaos bolt felhunter #1. This usually kills all three quite quickly.

Doom Lord - Banish #1. Later, Fear #2. You may get them also to agro onto the Pit Lord. Each time a doom lord is being summoned, it is important to dismiss and re-enslave the pit lord.

Drink a purification potion to reset the enrage timer towards the end (be careful not to use potions/healthstones, etc. before hand, as that will trigger the purification potion cooldown).

SCRIPT (This can be handy if you have someone reading it out-loud to you and giving moral support. Also helps to remember easy to forget things... feel free to custom tailor this for yourself, this is just a starting point)

Buff Up
Dark Intent
Food
Summon Imp
Sacrifice Imp
Setup Portal behind a nearby pillar.
Setup Gateway from there toward the center.
Start Encounter
Set Kanrethad to Focus
Start DPS (remember to keep up Rain of Fire)
Boss Summons Pit Lord
ShadowFury to Stun Pit Lord
Enslave Demon on Pit Lord
Set Pit Lord on Boss
Massive Chaos Bolt (Portal/Gate away OR absorb it with Sacrificial Pact)
Possible Interrupted Cataclysm (Continue DPS, nothing to see here the first time)
Use Singe Magic Constantly (Command Demon Sacrificed Ability) to remove debuffs (also stand in the Pit Lord's breath weapon on occasion)
Boss Summons Imps (wait, RoF, Charge, Breath, Fire and Brimstone, RoF)
Massive Chaos Bolt (Dodge or Absorb)
Cataclysm (Pit Lord Charge to interrupt. Burn. Save up Embers)
Boss heads over and begins to Summon Fel Hunters
Quickly send Pit Lord to slight Right of Gateway (facing it)
Rain of Fire Gateway
Conflag 1
Havoc 2
Refresh RoF
Pop Cooldowns Chaos Bolt 3 - Charge with Pit Lord
Chaos Bolt 1st Dog (clear now)
Massive Chaos Bolt (dodge or absorb)
Cataclysm (charge stun and dps)
Boss Begins to Summon Doom Lord
Dismiss Pit Lord
Shadowfury Pit Lord
Enslave Pit Lord
Banish Doom Lord (keep banished)
Cataclysm (stun and dps)
Many Imps. Handle it! (RoF, Charge, Breath, Fire and Brimstone)
Cataclysm (stun and dps - Save Embers)
Send Pit Lord to Right Side of Gateway
Boss begins to summon felpuppies
Rain of Fire Portal
Conflag 1
Havoc 2
Reresh RoF
Cooldowns Chaos Bolt 3 (charge with Pit, Breath)
Chaos bolt 1 (clear)
Massive Chaos Bolt (dodge or absorb. If Dodge, REFRESH demonic circle now)
Cataclysm (charge stun and DPS)
Begin Summon of Doom Lord #2
Dismiss Pit Lord
Stun Pit Lord
Enslave Pit Lord
Fear Doom Lord #2 (and keep feared)
Check Ultimate Doom Timer (~2 minutes left)
Cataclysm (charge stun and dps hard)
Many Imps (only imp phases from now on, Wait, RoF, Charge, Breath, Fire and Brimstone)
Massive Chaos Bolt (dodge or absorb. Refresh demonic circle.)
DRINK PURIFICATION POTION! (most likely it's needed about now)
Cataclysm (charge stun and dps hard)

Repeat imp phases while keeping doom lord's banished and feared. Dismiss and Re-enslave Pit Lord if you need to (watch timer at this point). You'll have enough time for possibly a bonus of 6-8 rounds of imps from this point until Ultimate Doom triggers.

I cannot stress how helpful it is to have a "wingman" calling out the next phase, or reminding you to singe magic, or let you know if your health is getting really low (and you have healing cooldowns available, but just didn't know you were getting that low in all the flurry).

Best of luck to you. This is quite doable. It feels good to finish it. Allow for patience. Hopefully this guide and script are helpful to you, the more casual and lower iLvl players, in finishing the Green Fire quest line in 5.2
Reply Quote
Just thought I'd pop in here and lend my note about doing this with a low(er) ilvl. I was able to kill the boss tonight, with an ilvl of 478. It took me right around 90 attempts.

After about 75 attempts, I decided to change it up a bit because what was giving me the most trouble was the felhunter dispels. Thy changes that helped me the most were:

• Changing the layout of my demonic gateways.

Unlike most of the videos I saw, I decided to put one portal near the first pillar on the left as you enter the room. The other went just to the left of the center circle where the boss casts Cataclysm. This allowed me to portal quite a distance away from any mob, and to then also command my Pit Lord to hind behind that pillar - very far away from the Fel Hunters and out of their LoS.

One thing to be careful of here: do not attack the boss while your Pit Lord is hiding behind the pillar. You will quickly overtake his threat - and he will cast his next Chaos Bolt at you. Not what you want when dealing with the Felhunters.

• Making more liberal use of the demonic gateways.

This might seem like a no brainer, but usually before and after every add wave I would port away to drop threat behind my Pit Lord. Sometimes I would portal multiple times between waves. This ensured that the boss never cast a Chaos Bolt my way.

• Last, and this is not a joke: using my smart phone with a stop-watch app in order to time when to use my purification potion. When the boss cast Doom on me, I would start the timer and it alerted me when there was 15 seconds remaining.

Lastly, a heads up...when I finally killed the boss the Pit Lord and the to Doom Lords did not despawn. I had to reenslave the Pit Lord, kill one Doom Lord, die to the Curse of Ultimate Doom, then go reenslave the Pit Lord and kill the last Doom Lord. At that point I could safely complete the quest and hearth out (leaving the enslaved Pit Lord).
Edited by Morinar on 3/30/2013 12:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
So according to Noxxic. Realistically if you had iLvl 468 gear you would do about 74464 dps.

if you had 13min using the potion u would only do 968032.

142496 if u had 14min but my pit lord dies waaay before that.

Those of you who are doing it with ilvl460 or below gear.. how the F?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Never mind. Using health funnel to keep pit lord alive.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
31 M health seems like a lot, but it really isn't.

You can do downright pitiful damage throughout this fight and still win (if you have a purification potion.)

Key things to remember.

The pitlord contributes a fairly substantial amount of damage. (If you use him properly.)
There are several situations where damage is multiplied. (Every time you charge Kan he takes double damage.)
Imps are ember generators. RoF + Imps = Bonus CBs.

You have 13-14 minutes to down the boss. It takes 40-50k dps to down him comfortably. Even if you mess up your rotation, you can kill this boss. Just remember to keep your immolate on him, burn embers on CBs, and stay focused on your survival.

You should be using that pit lord breath weapon and heal at every opportunity.

Lastly, when you're at <=20% life on Kan, you've essentially won. The embers from the imp waves will fuel a constant spam of shadowburn. If you're making intelligent use of the gates and pitlord, you can practially ignore the imps except to keep RoF on them.
Edited by Satanous on 5/13/2013 4:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
So my DPS is freaking awesome now. Thanks to the tips posted by everyone. However, I have a new problem now... big surprise.

The pit lord constantly loses aggro on the doom lords i'm about to just start banish/fear instead.

Anyone know what may cause the doom lords to lose aggro?

I'm constantly jumping through the gates so my threat should be low.. but those mutha fers will randomly turn around and start nuking me when i start nuking their precious boss.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
So my DPS is freaking awesome now. Thanks to the tips posted by everyone. However, I have a new problem now... big surprise.

The pit lord constantly loses aggro on the doom lords i'm about to just start banish/fear instead.

Anyone know what may cause the doom lords to lose aggro?

I'm constantly jumping through the gates so my threat should be low.. but those mutha fers will randomly turn around and start nuking me when i start nuking their precious boss.

When I did the fight, I would make sure to dismiss and re enslave the pit lord as Kan is summoning the Doom Lords. Then, I would smack the doom lord and breathe on the doom lord. Only after that would I take the gate and reduce threat. From then on the doom lords should be glued to the pit lord.

If you notice that you're still having problems, banish the doom lord. You shouldn't need to, but it's not a bad idea.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
gah why are people still suggesting banishing/fearing doomlords? SIMPLIFY!

Stop giving yourself more to watch and think about how you can make things easier.

tank doomlords with pitlord (like a fire and forget approach really)

don't bother watching and waiting on gate Cd's and keeping under threat.. just los the bolt with the gateway and be done with it.

charge the felpups and blow them up with havoc and a couple of CB's and even breath if you feel it is needed (usually isn't).

deadly boss mods
Get that addon.. it will give you a loud countdown when doom is about to go off so you know to use your potion.

make useful macros and easy keybinds that you can remember

Learn the fight, if you know what is happening and when you don't have to think so hard and things happen naturally.
Edited by Inammathe on 5/13/2013 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
Thank. You.
So. Much.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
how....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
It even says for 450-470 ilvl in the title.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
08/10/2015 04:30 PMPosted by Rehjgee
Thank. You.
So. Much.

The stated item levels in this guide or lower are the only time you really needed to micromanage the Pit Lord's aggro and positioning.

What could this guide possibly be helping you with now?
Edited by Vreivai on 8/10/2015 5:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
lmao
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
08/10/2015 05:46 PMPosted by Vreivai
The stated item levels in this guide or lower are the only time you really needed to micromanage the Pit Lord's aggro and positioning.

I've done it at 372 ilvl at lvl 90, the fight is a complete joke now. Even at 470 you could probably kill him before the first Felpup spawn.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Honestly, a green fire thread necro is so welcomed after all of mdarkskull's metamorphosis threads.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
08/10/2015 09:59 PMPosted by Deviance
08/10/2015 05:46 PMPosted by Vreivai

I've done it at 372 ilvl at lvl 90, the fight is a complete joke now. Even at 470 you could probably kill him before the first Felpup spawn.

You sure you're not thinking of 472? 372 was the item level of heroic T11 gear.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
it was also the ilvl of the level 85 catchup crap you could buy in jade forest for exorbitant prices
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
RIIIIIISE FROM THE GRAVE
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
If people who couldn't down Kanrethad at 90 were bad, what does that make players who cannot down him at 100?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]