Skipping Packs of Enemies

90 Dwarf Warrior
Why!? D:

I can understand some very "out of the way" packs are not necessary to deal with, but while leveling my priest to 90 I've noticed some quite odd practices by other tanks in this fashion. Some of the tricky maneuvering, specific pathways, and all sorts of things a tank will do to skip a pack or two (Funnily enough, some other party member will pull that group about 50% of the time).

The first thing that comes to mind is Shado-Pan Monastery on the bridge ways towards the end. Every time everyone goes to swim under the bridges and run up on the other side, and just about every time someone ends up pulling the groups anyway.

What are the policies you all have with skipping mob packs? I'm curious to see what the tanking-forum-goers' opinions are on this topic!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've had entire groups, including the healer, run right past me as I was tangling a group of 6 mobs. Leaving me to die and then resing me after they were passed and the mobs reset.

O_O.

Needless to say they got the "This isn't Guild Wars 2, have fun with your next tank" and Berith has left the instance group.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I skip a lot of the mobs after Sha in Shado-Pan Monastery at the cap for two reasons:

A) It's what most groups expect of me/seem to want.
B) There's no point in killing that trash. There's no reward for it, those packs hit kinda hard, and every once in a while you get the group where everyone seems perfectly content to wail on something with 1 HP forever and not click the body.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A few packs ill skip if the path is simple to follow. What I dont understand is the guys who want to skip a pack, but in order to do it, you have to follow a path that is so complicated or so long, its just as easy to go ahead and kill the pack. Not to mention on most of those someone steps 1 step too close and pulls them, so we have to kill them anyway.

The last pack in Shado-pan Monastery is like this. Sure I can skip it, but about 80% of the time someone accidentally pulls it anyway, so why not?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I skip a lot of the mobs after Sha in Shado-Pan Monastery at the cap for two reasons:

A) It's what most groups expect of me/seem to want.
B) There's no point in killing that trash. There's no reward for it, those packs hit kinda hard, and every once in a while you get the group where everyone seems perfectly content to wail on something with 1 HP forever and not click the body.

this
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Pretty sure the OP meant while leveling, not in heroics. Trash mobs offer good experience and die quickly. I wouldn't skip them if i was leveling.

In heroics, I try to get in and out as quickly as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
nevermind, re-read his post
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
trash is worthless

skipping it is always superior.

Needless to say they got the "This isn't Guild Wars 2, have fun with your next tank" and Berith has left the instance group.

That's good, was probably faster than pulling every single worthless pack in the instance.
Edited by Azane on 3/28/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
I usually just ask and see what the group wants pulled.

If someone's unfamiliar with being able to skip packs like the SPM trash, I just pull it anyway. It's not like the trash is hard, really.

For leveling I try and pull all the things. More experience that way (the dungeon complete exp is pretty lackluster).
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I guess I just feel like the Shado-Pan Monastery trash on the bridge is too risky to skip. No need to do the awkward mount ride and swim-around in my eyes. But at the same time, I'm not going to go too far out of the way to pick up other packs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
There are dungeons where skipping adds can be risky but unless a dps has his head completely buried in his butt Shado-pan's not particularly bad. The dungeons where skipping trash always got punished (for my dps toon) was Vortex Pinnacle. Skipping trash always seemed to come back to haunt those groups.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've yet to have a group who can manage to not facepull every mob in the scarlet monastery cathedral courtyard. its like really guys, it's not hard to not aggro things an entire roomspan away. >.<
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I usually just tell the hunter we'll res them after they inevitably agro things 80 yards away from us.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I watched an LFR group try to skip the 5-pack before the Council the other day. Everyone hugged the wall and ran past, killed the next two Prophets, only to discover that the door cannot be opened until the pack they skipped had been killed.

Easier just to kill anything that gets in the way, IMO. Someone will pull it by accident or it will need to be pulled anyway, so you may as well make it deliberate.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Why skip them? They're vengeance batteries so I can kill the boss faster.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
OPs comment was that he noticed this happening while he was leveling his priest.

At 90, it makes sense to skip the trash and get the instance/loot done.

While leveling up, packs are xp, pull em.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Solve this problem with just pulling EVRYTHING!!!!

If they dont like it, then you can tell them that you can pull it group by group..

If they attempt to skip trash that you want to kill; then simply AoE pull again, if they attempt to run away..... INTERVINE for the win.

You are a tank, you can grief them with minor effort.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]