A question for all who instance grinded to 90

90 Tauren Death Knight
How many hunters actually turned their growl off?
Reply Quote
41 Human Paladin
I have a 90 pally but I leveled him normally. I am leveling this guy through dungeons....I always find pets pulling because of growl. As a rule I do not pull mobs off of pets.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Why would you want to do such a thing?? D:
Reply Quote
I have a 90 pally but I leveled him normally. I am leveling this guy through dungeons....I always find pets pulling because of growl. As a rule I do not pull mobs off of pets.

Even if you wanted to you couldn't. Pretty sure their taunts have the same cooldowns as ours. You taunt -> it taunts right back off you. At least I've never had any luck taunting off of pets and gaining threat for very long... and I'm a monk, my dps is through the roof.

But honestly it just doesn't bother me all that much. Most of the time at 90 it only happens when they use their cooldown to pull all their pets from the stables. I'm not sure how they would have control over pets during the cd anyway. And for 5 mans Xuen is up for most bosses.
Edited by Peiwu on 3/28/2013 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Leveled pretty much entirely through dungeons.

Most hunters had their pet taunt on initially, but turned it off after the first reminder. Warlocks with threatening presence were worse.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I leveled through dungeons. It was probably 50/50. Warlocks and Hunters pretty much had the same consistency. Some would figure it out before the end. Some wouldn't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Warlocks with threatening presence were worse.

Threatening presence is not hard to outthreat. Not like Warlock pets do tons and tons of damage that your Righteous Fury can't just outthreat.

Threatening presence is not a taunt and it's a pain to disable/enable.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Why would you want to do such a thing?? D:

My reaction upon seeing this thread: "people instance grind to 90?"

Dungeon grinding gives a pitiful amount of exp from 85-90, even at rested.
Edited by Lmcm on 3/28/2013 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Er... a warlock's pet with Threatening Presence on can pull off of me, in my current gear. It's a huge modifier. It's not "add one billion threat" like the hunter pet, but it's pretty big.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's not "add one billion threat" like the hunter pet, but it's pretty big.

The hunter's growl is a true taunt, putting the pet equal to your threat and focusing the mob on the pet. So if you are at 1000000000 threat and the pet comes in with zero, he immediately catches up, and getting the focus of the mob.

As for leveling through dungeons goes, I don't care if the pet taunts or not. Nothing in the low level dungeons is going to kill the pet and frees me up to do other things.

No sweat, easy-peasy.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
Dungeon grinding gives a pitiful amount of exp from 85-90, even at rested.

not to mention the mop dungeons are a little underwhelming.

as for the OP:

more often than not hunters will have growl on. especially while leveling when they consistently use it while solo questing.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Of the few times it happened I just let the pet die then went back to tanking everything.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Who cares bro. The pet can take it easy, and that's one mob not hitting you. After you rage quit that hunter pet went ahead and tanked the rest of the dungeon.

Whiny tanks.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I just let the pets die, if they don't die, they're fine tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
OP: about half of them.

Off-topic: I'm dead weight if the hunter's pet can tank. No Vengeance= ~20k DPS. I'm as much as bad DPS, but in 460+ gear (depending on which class I am at the time).
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
Off-topic: I'm dead weight if the hunter's pet can tank. No Vengeance= ~20k DPS. I'm as much as bad DPS, but in 460+ gear (depending on which class I am at the time).

i agree with this. i have no problem dealing with hunter pets, but it is very annoying having no vengeance building, or current vengeance falling off.

stampede is by far the worst offender. i know they mean well by using cooldowns to do more damage, and therefore be a bigger contribution to the group. however, i'm fairly sure that the dps they gain is smaller than the dps lost by a tank dropping vengeance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
They can turn growl off?!

Someone should let them know about this!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
I didn't grind to 90 via dungeons but from my experience running 5 mans at 90 I could probably count them on one hand.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Growl can be turned off?
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Better question is, number of times I cared: zero

you are pretty much invincible as a low level tank, with few exceptions. In the exceptions it's actually a good thing the hunter pet taunts since you have less of a chance to die horribly

I really don't get why tanks cry about hunters or warlocks, the dungeon can go fine without a tank at low levels. At high levels it just gives you a reason (and the ability) to pull faster.
Edited by Kangarooster on 3/29/2013 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]