Convince me to roll a Mage

70 Tauren Warrior
Not like any of you should care that I be a Mage, but listen for a second. I've been leveling as a tank for about a week. I hate it. I've tried to respec Fury/Arms. Hated it more. I suppose I just don't like the warrior class as much as I thought. Well I'm rerolling DPS, as every tank has dreamed to do at one point, I suppose. I've been looking at the Mage class specifically but I guess I need something to push me over the edge to roll one. I heard about the big nerf that came about in 5.2. But there is just something about the class that is pulling me in. So, why should I roll a Mage?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Because you get to set things on fire without the police showing up.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Warrior
You make a valid point.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Do yourself a favor, don't do it. Its not worth the pain and anguish.

However, if you decide to roll mage, prepare yourself for being nerfed constantly by Blizzard in order to equal out mains between all classes after they realize that alot of people play this class and enjoy it. In theory mages are supposed to be glass cannons. We can't heal, we can't tank, we have low survivability, we have no raid utility aside from delicious cake and blood lusting if your shaman is dead. Fair enough, I can accept this.

In exchange we were supposed to be able to unleash god like amounts of punishment and pain if we can find a calm spot to stand and lay waste to mobs. This calm spot is non-existant in MOP raiding, so get over that idea fast. Secondly, be prepared to be sad as your hunter and warlock compatriots frolic around the zone, moving and casting at will, and out dpsing you by 20k on average even if you are able to stand still for a bit.

I've been a mage since the end of BC. Mages are without a doubt in the worst spot we've been in since BC. With our awful 90 level talents, rooted playstyle (if you want to max your dps anyway), and now after 5.1 (aka the Fire Hammer) and 5.2 (aka the Arcane Hammer) the inability to be competitive or even approach the top 1 or 2 in damage, my advice to you sir is to pick up your axe and shield, and be the best tank you can be. Trust me, you will be 100x more valuable to a Raid team as a tank/melee dps than you will be when all you can offer is stale pastries and mediocre/laughable damage.

The biggest regret I have in this game is not maining a hybrid. Since hybrids can easily out dps us now, plus give raid utility such as a tank and/or heal offspec, mages (post 5.1 anyway) are not worth sinking time into.
Edited by Grimsheeper on 3/28/2013 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Still the only class that goes big
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Depends on what you define "big" as. If you are talking about Critical Hits, then I'll take my Warlock alts consistent devastating Chaos bolts. I've yet to hit that kind of damage on a signle Pyroblast in MOP, especially now after 5.1 and the death of the Fire spec (unless of course you can get to 515-520 I level being a casual player).

If by go big you mean our insane fall from the top of the dps meters quicker than you can patch the game twice, then yes I'd agree.

Now, since the bomb buff, we have essentially become a DOT class, and not a hard caster. Just out of curiosity in an LFR this week I ran around dotting every mob and not hard casting. I did close to the same amount of dps as I did hard casting on the boss.

Blizzard has F'ed this class up so bad and they literally have no idea what to do now to fix them. Its comical seeing them buff a DOT spell...for a mage...just to try and appease the irrate Mage community and buy time while the Dev team sits there staring blankly at each other wondering how they managed to destroy a beloved class in less than two patches.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Don't waste your time with a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Teleport changes how you play the game . . .

Also, grim's right.
Edited by Rentrenus on 3/28/2013 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Don't roll a mage. Hopefully we'll see some changes to reinvigorate the class, but right now there are few fun/awesome things I can list about being a mage aside from teleport/portal.
Reply Quote
They're an overall strong class burdened by piss-poor mechanics and hotfixes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
the inability to be competitive or even approach the top 1 or 2 in damage

I've been 2nd/3rd in damage consistently in my 10 man group.
That is inclusive of trash, however.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Grimsheeper
90 Pandaren Mage
PENETRATE

Edited by Grimsheeper on 3/28/13 11:41 AM (PDT)
Do yourself a favor, don't do it. Its not worth the pain and anguish.

However, if you decide to roll mage, prepare yourself for being nerfed constantly by Blizzard in order to equal out mains between all classes after they realize that alot of people play this class and enjoy it. In theory mages are supposed to be glass cannons. We can't heal, we can't tank, we have low survivability, we have no raid utility aside from delicious cake and blood lusting if your shaman is dead. Fair enough, I can accept this.

In exchange we were supposed to be able to unleash god like amounts of punishment and pain if we can find a calm spot to stand and lay waste to mobs. This calm spot is non-existant in MOP raiding, so get over that idea fast. Secondly, be prepared to be sad as your hunter and warlock compatriots frolic around the zone, moving and casting at will, and out dpsing you by 20k on average even if you are able to stand still for a bit.

I've been a mage since the end of BC. Mages are without a doubt in the worst spot we've been in since BC. With our awful 90 level talents, rooted playstyle (if you want to max your dps anyway), and now after 5.1 (aka the Fire Hammer) and 5.2 (aka the Arcane Hammer) the inability to be competitive or even approach the top 1 or 2 in damage, my advice to you sir is to pick up your axe and shield, and be the best tank you can be. Trust me, you will be 100x more valuable to a Raid team as a tank/melee dps than you will be when all you can offer is stale pastries and mediocre/laughable damage.

The biggest regret I have in this game is not maining a hybrid. Since hybrids can easily out dps us now, plus give raid utility such as a tank and/or heal offspec, mages (post 5.1 anyway) are not worth sinking time into.

THIS.

Could not agree more.

Mages have been nerfed to the ground in the last 2 patches, especially the fire spec which is only playable in BIS gears now.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Blizzard's flaws with mage balancing, at least from my take:

(1) They try to get us to middle of the pack in damage, but not with comparable utility.
(2) They balance our damage from end gearing. Because of scaling this puts us low during progression - you know, when it matters.

So, from a contribution point of view, mages suffer from not feeling like they really make a solid difference in the raid.

From a play point of view, we are an almost. With a lot of potential, but to many quality of life issues. The level 90 talents are terrible, I mean REALLY bad. Kind of like someone walking up and kicking you in the nuts. Mobile damage, something absolutely critical in today's raids, is to limited. The bombs are somewhat sloppy, cannot be used around CC, but are a critical part of our single target damage.

We have a lot of good things, just need a little work. Blizzard has acknowledge some of the problems. I think we well get at least some of it fixed (especially if we keep the problems on Blizzard's radar). But I don't think they will really be fixed until 6.0.

So, for the time being we are a good class held back by a few problems. If you don't just really love the class the problems will probably be to much for you. If you really want to min/max, a mage is not for you at the moment. You will feel really at a disadvantage. We have a lot of potential. And I think we will have a good point coming, it is just not now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/29/2013 03:07 AMPosted by Warping
the inability to be competitive or even approach the top 1 or 2 in damage

I've been 2nd/3rd in damage consistently in my 10 man group.
That is inclusive of trash, however.

Did 17 tries yesterday on Iron Qon with my frost mage... bottom DPS all time, couldn't beat Rogue/DK/Warlock/Hunter. Paladin tank doing 78k single target DPS was fun too.
Reply Quote
This is the worst time ever to be a mage. Don't do it.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Mage
I will admit mage life isn't as fun as it used to be - but being a mage is more fun than any other class simply because you can move around the game world at ease and never have to worry about food. PVP wise, frost is dominate. But pvp in lower brackets, gear up - and all spec's are viable. Soon or later, the "bless" bat will come our way and we will all once again sing fire's praises. But I still roll warriors/dks/rogues in any spec in pvp - and that's just always good times.
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
mage is the only class that blizz refuse to nerf while other class gets fixed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]