DPS as Holy

90 Blood Elf Priest
How do you do it so that it matches the speed with with Shadow kills stuff? Or is DPS as holy the same as DPS as disc? Viable, but takes a lot longer to kill stuff?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I actually kill faster as Holy DPS while questing. I made a gear set that combines some of my heals gear with haste on it with some shadow pieces I had. I took "Twist of Fate" talent which is AMAZING. I quest in Chakra:Chastise. I also use Power Word: Solace (instead of Holy Fire), Divine Star as the 90 talent.

I use Shadow Word: Pain, solace, smite (glyphhed of course), divine star, mind sear (amazing for aoe - we top for aoe).

Try it..you'll like it.

BUT get your haste up close to 17% and up.

Now I don't know if I kill faster than Shadow - but I kill faster than I do as Disc. I have this build for some fights with my raid team where I'm there for some burst (not sustained) DPS and off heals...we don't do it often but it's fun. And being able to zip through dailies as Holy DPS is nice!
Edited by Jaenna on 3/28/2013 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
The key is to just ignore all spirit/hit and mastery which allows you to inflate your crit and haste. Though I would recommend prioritizing crit after you get around 5000-6000 haste and to limit your haste to no more than 8085.

As for what Jaenna said I would recommend using Mindbender instead of Solace due to Solace not actually being a DPS increase. Furthermore treat the level 90 talents as you normally would for a shadow priest DS for large tightly grouped, Cascade for a large spread out group, and Halo for single target or when you can actually get the full affect. For the level 75 talents just base it on the fight if you can abuse ToF through adds or if not Power Infusion.

As Jaenna said as far as a rotation simply keep up SW:P use Holy Fire when you have more than 6 seconds on SW:P aside from that on cool down. From there smite is just your standard filler and during execute phase keep SW:D on cool down while you wont get the double cast like shadow it will hit much harder.

For glyphes I would say Glyph of Smite and Glyph of Holy Fire are mandatory and for your third glyph I would personally recommend Glyph of Lightspring as it only requires one gcd and will provide a decent amount of healing while making sure those pesky DPS that would otherwise just ignore your Lightwell still get healed.

Lastly the main difference between Discipline and Holy for DPS is the fact that as Holy you gain a 50% holy and shadow damage buff through Chakra: Chastise which is pretty much one of the sole factors that makes Holy DPS works.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
As for what Jaenna said I would recommend using Mindbender instead of Solace due to Solace not actually being a DPS increase. Furthermore treat the level 90 talents as you normally would for a shadow priest DS for large tightly grouped, Cascade for a large spread out group, and Halo for single target or when you can actually get the full affect. For the level 75 talents just base it on the fight if you can abuse ToF through adds or if not Power Infusion.

Ah. I chose Solace to test out the heal it does. It comes off cooldown more often than Minderbender as well. And if I've got my jade spirit proc going it can hit for a LOT, as well as if ToF is active :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Holy's damage ability should sit squarely in between Disc and Shadow. It's almost certainly slower than Shadow because of the power of multidotting, but you can probably kill things about as quickly as any DPS that is stuck with single target.
Reply Quote
I actually have been trying to do this because I find it fun for my random daily instances, and the single target is actually viable from what I've seen. Being able to heal in a pinch is always nice too. Feels like gearing is tough though, since you need Crit/Haste more than anything since we're hit capped already and only need so much Spirit.

Also... isn't Holy's Mind Sear actually more powerful than Shadow's because of the 50% increase from Chakra: Chastise as opposed to Shadowform's 25%? I feel like I'm missing some other shadow multiplier but can't think of one.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Also... isn't Holy's Mind Sear actually more powerful than Shadow's because of the 50% increase from Chakra: Chastise as opposed to Shadowform's 25%? I feel like I'm missing some other shadow multiplier but can't think of one.

Outside of a raid setting, almost certainly.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/29/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Nixxe

Outside of a raid setting, almost certainly.

^^ for sure
It's the spec/gear I use for my dailies and it's sooo much faster than questing as disc. For me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]