Revamp the Seal System

90 Draenei Paladin
I'm writing this in the hopes that it gets recognized or thumbs up at least for being a good idea or something constuctive.

I basically have a suggestion for bettering the Seal system, which aims at restoring some of the interactivity between the Seals and other existing abilities. Part of the suggestion relies on tweaking a few existing abilities, talents, and even a few Hand spells along the way, but I'm confident it would all fit together nicely.

Firstly, the current Seal system provides minimal interaction with other abilities. It primarily benefits auto-attacks and secondarily benefits melee strikes such as Crusader Strike and Hammer of the Righteous, and in a distant third it benefits Divine Storm (for Ret only) and Judgement.

A fine suggestion to bring back some interaction between Seals and shared abilities like Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteous and Divine Storm in addition to Auto-Attacks. You could have something on the order of Seal of Truth putting the Censure DoT on any target hit by CS, HotR and DS. Seal of Righteous would do essentially the same thing it does now by dealing extra upfront damage on CS, HotR and DS. Seal of Justice would apply the Snare effect on CS, HotR and DS. And, finally Seal of Insight would heal and the Paladin with CS, but could be Glyphed to heal any target around the target with HotR and DS.

This would seem ok, but then you'd run into the same issue where people wouldn't bother much with Seal of Righteousness because Seal of Truth could build up to dealing so much more damage. Perhaps this might end with the removal of Seal of Righteousness.

The better suggestion I have would be to put the interaction back into Judgement along with the ordinary melee attacks (Auto-Attacks, CS, HotR, and DS). Seal of Truth applies Censure DoT with Judgement (as it does now). Seal of Righteousness damages the target and all targets around that target with Judgement. Seal of Justice applies the snaring effect on Judgement. And, Seal of Insight heals the Paladin on Judgement (as it used to).

One glaring issue brought up is that Snare on Judgement is handled by Burden of Guilt. And so, some kind of similar ability to compensate for it would be needed. I would introduce:

Hand of Justice -
Places a Hand on an Enemy target, reducing their movement speed by 20% every second for 6 sec. Replaces Hand of Freedom.

It performs a similar function to Burden of Guilt and seems a more thought provoking decision on how you want to control enemies; particularly for Ret who would have access to both, although Ret would need to weigh taking this if it means giving up HoF. This may necessitate the two sharing an internal diminishing return, such that a target already effected by Seal of Justice would only suffer 3 sec from the Hand of Justice buff.

The second anticipated issue is that Seal of Righteousness, by mimicking the effect of Holy Prism might require replacing that talent all together. I would agree; particularly considering the healing effect from Holy Prism could be mimicked by adding a Glyph to Seal of Insight, such that the healing dispersed to targets around the target (probably for a hefty mana increase to 25% base mana to compensate). But, what to put in its place? I would say this is the better place for Blinding Light:

Blinding Light -
Emits a dazzling light in all directions, blinding enemies within 10 yards, causing them to be knocked down for 3 sec and take X damage over 6 sec.

Disorienting them and having them take damage wouldn't make much sense unless you created Repent-style exceptions to the Censure DoT and Dazzling Light DoT. The damage over time from Blazing Light will need to be in line with Execution Sentence and Light's Hammer to make it a viable choice.

The definitely seems the best means to implement Seal interactions back into the game that stay meaningful to all three specs and trade out similar talents for viable replacements.

EDIT: Edited for clarity that Judgement would be gaining more interaction with Seals in addition to the existing melee attacks.
Edited by Ozmademos on 3/28/2013 4:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Currently seals proc on any melee attack. You want to make them proc ONLY on special abilities or ONLY on Judgment. How is that better?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Currently seals proc on any melee attack. You want to make them proc ONLY on special abilities or ONLY on Judgment. How is that better?

Seals don't proc on Judgement though (with the exception of SoTruth).

I'll edit it for clarity though, as the intention is that Seals still proc on melee attacks (like Auto-Attacks, Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteous, and Divine Storm) but also interact with Judgement.

The only forseeable issue is that the interaction between Seal of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous or Divine Storm in addition to interacting with Judgement to AoE; in truth, however I dont think AoEing right now for Paladins is breaking anyone's Recount. But, this already exists (in simiar form) for anyone who has Holy Prism.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
TL; DR -

Give Judgement logical interactions with Seals (AoE at a distance, Healing, Snare at a distance, applying Censure) as essentially exists now in certain forms...

Replace Burden of Guilt with
Hand of Justice -
Places a Hand on an Enemy target, reducing their movement speed by 20% every second for 6 sec. Replaces Hand of Freedom.

Replace Holy Prism with improved version of Blinding Light
Blinding Light -
Emits a dazzling light in all directions, blinding enemies within 10 yards, causing them to be knocked down for 3 sec and take X damage over 6 sec.

Maybe up the time on Dazzling Light debuff to 12 sec.
Edited by Ozmademos on 3/30/2013 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Or, another suggestion would be to have the Seals modify differing abilities based on spec, or maybe have Seals themselves customize to spec:

So, for Ret the Seals can still modify Judgement in the ways described above: Seal of Truth (Censure on Judgement), Seal of Righteousness (AoE on Judgement), Seal of Justice (Snare on Judgement), and Seal of Insight (Heal on Judgement).

For Prot, the Seals can change Consecrate: Seal of Devotion (2% damage reduction in Consecrate), Seal of Light (Healing [or increased healing?] in Consecrate), Seal of Sacrifice (x% damage taken by allies is redirected to the Paladin), Seal of Crusader (damage taken increases haste [or damage/healing done?]. These are just rough ideas.

For Holy it's tough to decide what's the more important ability to be modified. Holy Shock? Light of Dawn? It'd be a similar deal to the other Seals. One to help reduce damage, or heal, or increase damage, or increase durability.

Basically bring in that interaction.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Rogue
I don't mind your ideas however I think it's a real long shot that seals will ever be changed.

Balancing is revolving around the "5%" with ret at the moment, very close too imo.

I don't think they would throw revamped seals with loads of choice into the mix. It's a shame but in the words of Ray "That's the way she goes bubbles"
Reply Quote
I think it'd be just nicer if the seals did more than just 'damage'.

Right now we have a "DoT" seal, an "AoE" seal, a "Self-Heal" seal, and if you're ret, a "Slowing" seal. Each of these effects are rather stale in my opinions, and I think should do more... well, exciting things!

Some examples (Will simply name this 'Seal of Zealotry' for lack of a better name.)

Seal of Zealotry
Fills you with holy light, causing your attacks to inflict Wavering Faith on the target. Wavering Faith absorbs and redirects incoming healing equal to 14% of your weapon damage, distributed evenly to all enemies within 10yds.

Seal of Zealotry
Fills you with holy light, granting holy power-generating abilities a 10% chance to give the paladin Avenging Wrath, lasting until the next holy power-generating ability is used. Avenging Wrath must not be on cooldown for this effect to occur. This effect will not trigger the cooldown of Avenging Wrath.

Seal of Zealotry
Fills you with holy light, empowering your sword and shield against magic. Upon receiving a hostile direct spell from the front while wielding a shield, your Crusader Strike's range is increased to 30yds, deals holy damage and shoots a bolt of holy energy at the target. This effect is consumed upon use.

Seal of Zealotry
Fills you with holy light, giving your single-target heals a 5% chance to knock enemies within 5yds of your target a short distance away. If the target's health is below 50%, the chance to area-of-affect knockback is increased by an additional 20%.

Seal of Zealotry
Fills you with holy light, allowing your heals a 10% chance to infuse targets with Overwhelming Light. Overwhelming Light causes the next attack within 3 seconds to deal additional holy damage. Using Judgement or Holy Shock boosts the chance to infuse to 100% with your next healing spell.

Just some examples that come to mind...
Edited by Stax on 4/3/2013 10:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't mind your ideas however I think it's a real long shot that seals will ever be changed.

Balancing is revolving around the "5%" with ret at the moment, very close too imo.

I don't think they would throw revamped seals with loads of choice into the mix. It's a shame but in the words of Ray "That's the way she goes bubbles"

Yup, and I think balancing around 5% is a good thing. These changes don't really make for a significant dps increase or decrease on a boss though. Biggest dps increase might be on trash with Seal of Righteousness proc'ing an AoE burst on Judgement, and even then that can just be balanced on the interaction itself, given how AoE burst already exists through Holy Prism.

You'd be changing out a 50,000 dmg hit to all mobs every 20sec for 15,000 dmg hit to all mobs every 6sec. The numbers would just even out in the end. The only exception would be Ret due to high haste, but again AoEing is primarly for trash and not for bosses.
Edited by Ozmademos on 4/5/2013 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]