level 60 frost dk dps rotation? (pve)

61 Worgen Mage
hey guys, i like to do dungeons a lot, im a level 60 frost dk and i love doing dungeons however, im getting absolutely destroyed in the dps category. I just can't seem to find a good rotation to use where im not constantly left with no abilities to use until they've cooled down and i just have to sit there and smack. Can someone help me with a rotation that i will constantly be casting?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
It's like this for all DK's in a sense because we do not get our extra runes talents until lvl 75. As for Frost you'll likely be wanting to do a howling blast heavy focus. So like do this Howling blast, plague strike if they will be up longer then do 3 more howling blasts. You'd have one more unholy rune up so your options is to wait for a frost rune to show up to obliterate/death strike but you would probably be better off using a death and decay with it. when your runes cycle back you'd be able to do 4 straight howling blasts while your blood plague is still ticking and then just reapply it after you've spent all your frost runes on howling blasts.

During the gap between runes is when you will want to frost strike. Do not death coil just because it costs too much RP and will lead you to further gaps in dps. There will be gaps when you are just dry swinging. All dk's have this issue at your level.

p.s.

Despite being 2handed or whatever at your level I only suggested the howling blast heavy (master frost) type priority because spells tend to outscale strikes while leveling due to coefficients. For example blood dk's tend to have blood boil be their highest damage ability while leveling for a good while.
Edited by Tor on 3/28/2013 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Mage
thanks a lot i will definately check that out!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
What I do since that happens to me a lot also im left with no runes all the time just staring at the gray bar waiting for the runes to replenish is howling blast once than spam blood boil and see how hard it hits and you won't be last in dps.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
blood boil. blood boil. more blood boil. did i mention blood boil?
oh wait, frost.
throw some howling blasts in there and you're good.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
What I do since that happens to me a lot also im left with no runes all the time just staring at the gray bar waiting for the runes to replenish is howling blast once than spam blood boil and see how hard it hits and you won't be last in dps.

Blood Boil is wasted in a sense because it costs you a howling blast. It wouldn't be advisable for you to talent roiling blood and instead I'd suggest Unholy Blight over roiling as Frost.
Edited by Tor on 3/28/2013 11:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Yeah, you're pretty much screwed till you hit 75 and get to the rune regen talent section. That, to me, is retarded by the way. If they're going to give us 2 power sources that are retardedly small (6 runes and 100 rp), they need to make the rune regen talents available earlier.

Heck, I'd rather have the level 75 talents switch with the 57 ones.
Reply Quote
89 Human Death Knight
03/28/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Tor

Blood Boil is wasted in a sense because it costs you a howling blast. It wouldn't be advisable for you to talent roiling blood and instead I'd suggest Unholy Blight over roiling as Frost.

Actually, Blood Boil is your highest damage spell by a huge margin until around level 82 when your frost talents catch up. OP you can prove this yourself in the next dungeon you run.
Cast Howling Blast, then cast Blood Boil. What you will find is a Howling Blast crit doesn't stand up to a Blood Boil non-crit damage. Blood Boil crits are insane.
Here's what I did and topped the dps charts in the process:
(disclaimer: I leveled in full BoAs, but the damage ratio will be the same for the spells)

Specced Rolling Blood. Why? Three reasons.

1. Blood Boil just hits so hard at lower levels, it only makes sense to allow it to spread your diseases for you. Added bonus, it also refreshes your diseases so they never drop off.
2. Casting Pestilence wastes a blood rune that could be used for Blood Boil and a heavy hit as a result. Pestilence does no damage, so you can effectively kill two birds with one stone, spreading diseases with a heavy aoe punch!
3. Several people will tell you to use Unholy Blight. While this may be true for some end game folks, it's quite lackluster for people who are leveling. 1.5 min cooldown where you are having to use pestilence, again wasting a blood rune that could do heavy damage and spread/refresh diseases.

Cast priority:
Lead with Howling Blast
Single strike a target in the group with Plague Strike.
Cast Blood Boil until remaining blood/death runes are depleated.
Use up frost runes on Howling Blast.
Cast Blood Boil whenever it is not on cooldown.
Use Frost Strike when all runes are on cooldown.

You will do maximum damage while spreading diseases with maximum efficiency.
Again, I want to stress, this no longer applies around level 82, when your frost talents catch up and take over as primary damage. Even then, I still use Blood Boil to spread diseases and use up my blood runes.

FYI, regardless of your leveling spec, Blood Boil hits like a truck for all three specs... so use it and use it well!

Hope that helps!

-Cheers!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
wat devilsauce said was kinda true. I came bck 2 play my dk again in frost spec. and i was doing low dps at 300-400. now i move couple things around on my rotation and now im improve on my dps im currently doing 1450+ dps which for me im like YES!! doing alot of dps. and i havent even touch my dk since i stop lvling at 60.

THNXS devilsauce. if it wasnt for u saying howling blast and than blood boil i would probly stop playing my dk again and just leave it 2 throw stuff on ;)
Reply Quote
61 Tauren Death Knight
I've read devilsauces advice and i liked it, but just cuz im stupid :P lol may someone post a very specific in-depth rotation, i have not played this DK in 2 YEARS and i am literaly smashing my forehead against my keyboard and im doing better DPS then i know how to do, so please just post a good rotation
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Death Knight
Meh, the Blood boil maybe good for pve but Death siphon rules for low level pvps. You do amazing damage. crit reaches 10k at lvl 62ish plus you heal yourself. again for bosses in dungeons its good to have this talent. However when facing mobs blood boil and howling blast are enough to knock them out. so go out and rock it :P though this post is old, hope it helped.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/18/2014 07:05 PMPosted by Humanisti
Meh, the Blood boil maybe good for pve but Death siphon rules for low level pvps. You do amazing damage. crit reaches 10k at lvl 62ish plus you heal yourself. again for bosses in dungeons its good to have this talent. However when facing mobs blood boil and howling blast are enough to knock them out. so go out and rock it :P though this post is old, hope it helped.
necroed a twice necroed thread to add nothing of value. good job

threads die for a reason. let them stay that way
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]