Re: Racist Behavior in WoW Big Problem!

(Locked)

90 Troll Rogue
Blizzard, I am extremely disappointed in the WoW community these days. It has become a place where hateful speech, racism, sexism, bullying and homophobia are not only openly used, but ignored if not encouraged by other members of the WoW community. I even tried to bring up these problems on the public forum and within my own realm only to be told that I was trolling and that I should just more or less accept that racism and other forms of hate speech are to be accepted and expected. I am just downright appalled at the behavior of these people, to think that they accept and/or turn a cold shoulder to blatant hate speech is just sickening to me. What does this say about our society? That we are willing to accept hate and racism as something that is a part of Warcraft?

Something seriously needs to be done about this because the reporting tools you have implemented are obviously not working as well as you want them to be. Me reporting alone does not amount to much if the 1000+ people who don't even care are not doing anything themselves or supporting the hateful speech or bullying itself.

Here is the said thread for reference:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8507240931?page=1

PS: Thank you Nethaera for locking the thread.. it was getting way out of control.
Edited by Shuku on 3/28/2013 10:01 AM PDT
43 Pandaren Monk
I even tried to bring up these problems on the public forum and within my own realm only to be told that I was trolling and that I should just more or less accept that racism and other forms of hate speech are to be accepted and expected

I notice that no blizzard employee told you this. You need to report chat violations. Blizzard will take action against those who violate the rules.
Support Forum Agent
The reporting tools DO work well, but they need to be used.

We've made it just as simple as we possibly can to report violations, but there is still going to be processing time on reports.
100 Human Warlock
it may not work as fast as you like. but reporting does infact work. seen recent evidince of it in trade chat.. as someone complained of a 3 hour suspension needless to say that person was reported again. some people learn some done. keep reporting
100 Human Warlock
unforantly its just not possible for blizz to activly monitor every chat channel in every zone on 220 realms accross 2 factions.

the report tool is as good as it gets,

unless you have a logical and reasonable solution to the problem, then you would post that suggestion in general in a constructive manor.
40 Blood Elf Paladin
unfortunately reporting is not always the ideal solution.. people have multiple accounts and will just log into another account while they are on temporary bans. I know this because a couple years ago a former guildie was banned for hate speech on one account and just used his 2nd account to get right back on, and his third when that one too was banned... by the time all three of his accounts had been reported and banned the first was out of banned status. I agree with Shuku.. there are MANY of us who would be willing to moderate chats if Bliz would give us the chance, and MANY of us have been moderators now for a couple of decades, so we would not be just banning all willy nilly.. i know many kids (teens and under) who DREAM of playing wow and are not permitted to because of the lack of chat moderators, including a girl who was allowed to play at age 14, only to be sexually harassed by others in chat, sadly, all of the reporting in the world made no difference.
90 Dwarf Shaman
Shuku: I'm sure to you it sounds like a great idea to be a free moderator. After all, you're trustworthy, you're a good guy, Blizzard can trust you, right?

But try to look at this from Blizzard's perspective - how big of a liability would it be to give some of the players additional powers? How can you really know who to trust with those powers? What happens if one of those people abuses their powers? What's to keep someone from abusing their power?

If you hire somebody - a GM, for example - to police your game, there are contracts in place and real financial consequences for the GM if they abuse their power. Coordinating a volunteer effort on the scale necessary to monitor every channel, every forum thread and every party/raid would be a logistical headache. Even if there were enough trustworthy, qualified people to volunteer for their roles, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who watches the watchmen?

It simply doesn't pan out in the end. Use the report feature. It's fast, it's easy, and it tells Blizzard where the problems are.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I would be a moderator for FREE if Blizz would let me. They should allow everyday responsible players to volunteer to be moderators. Obviously there would be strict rules, regulations and restrictions on this. like if you abuse your powers you run the risk of having your account perma-banned and you need to fill out a form explaining the actions you took.

So, let's take a step back and think about this. You want Blizzard to spend time and resources to train players to be "moderators". You want them to identify "responsible" players (however you would do that), train them on how to do the job, set up "strict" rules, regulations, and restrictions, and then oversee the entire process by reviewing their "forms" to make sure they are doing the job right, even having to correct their mistakes...

.....All so you don't have to make three mouse clicks to report individuals? Really?

Report people that are breaking the rules. There's your "I would do it for FREE" moderation powers. Click-click-click. Done.

Things like racism should be instant 5 day ban

Unfortunately that will probably not happen.

No, it will not, and thank you for showing exactly why Blizzard is never going to allow "player moderators" to hand out punishment.

Blizzard has their Penalty Volcano, and they prefer to educate and let people learn from their mistakes. That's the sane, objective way to handle the situation.
85 Tauren Druid
Blizzard does give us the chance to be moderators. That's what the report tool is for. It allows us to moderate our own realms and forums.

If players are really serious about cleaning up their realm, they need to make use of the reporting tool.

Some realms are a lot cleaner than others because there are people who do take the time to moderate their realm by reporting offenders.

It's also important to not listen to those who say that "Blizzard doesn't do anything" because that leads to apathy. Those that say that Blizzard doesn't do anything are only trying to get people to NOT report them. They will say that in hopes that you will think that it's a waste of time. These will also be people who have gotten in trouble in the past, did not learn from their mistake, and are trying to make you think that they didn't get in trouble.

Also, don't listen to those who say "Reported!". Most of those aren't actually reporting. They are only saying that to make others think the issue is taken care of and that more people don't need to report. However, each and every report is important. Even if someone else says that they are reporting, report the incident yourself anyways. People will climb the penalty volcano faster.

It's up to us to clean up our community. It is literally not physically possible for Blizzard monitor all chat channels or forums. It would take thousands of GMs to do this 24/7 and it wouldn't be possible to house and supply that many people. As such, Blizzard relies on our reports. Volunteer moderators with the ability to suspend players wouldn't work either because other companies have gotten in trouble for using them, plus it would be too difficult to prevent abuse of power.

Use the report function and we can clean up our community.

Small note to avoid confusion: Suspensions are different from bans. Bans are permanent. Suspensions are temporary. It's important to use the correct vocabulary to avoid confusion.
100 Human Hunter
You all ready can moderate its called using the Tool to report violations not crying that Blizzard doesnt do anything when players dont report.. No player should be giving authority to punish violators over chat, etc. that can and will leave to abuse of that power.
100 Draenei Shaman
03/28/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Shuku
They should allow everyday responsible players to volunteer to be moderators.

In a very real way, every player who wants to can be a "monitor". When I'm on my banking toons in a major city, I monitor trade chat, and report every bit of racism and other nastiness. The standards of each realm come into play, but a handful of like-minded people can certainly influence the local trade chat.

I came to this realm partly because trade chat is relatively racism and bigotry free, and it's clear that the locals help keep it that way. You can see it in the responses to inappropriate talk, and in how little of it there is. Yes, there are always some people who say stuff I don't like, but it isn't generally dreadfully offensive. And I personally make sure to help keep our trade chat a more pleasant place.

You can do the same on your realm. Get a handful of people who feel the same and who play a lot, and get them to monitor trade chat and report report report. After a few weeks, you will see improvement. Arrange it like a "clean up our trade channel" campaign.
25 Night Elf Druid
Blizzard does give us the chance to be moderators. That's what the report tool is for. It allows us to moderate our own realms and forums.

You all ready can moderate its called using the Tool to report violations

WINNERS!

But it goes back to the whole Murder of Kitty Genovese case....

No. It doesn't. This is a video game. Please get some perspective.

03/28/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Shuku
They should allow everyday responsible players to volunteer to be moderators.

No, they shouldn't ever. Never ever. Never ever ever. Never.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Never ever. Never ever ever. Never.

Ever.

Sorry. You seemed a bit wishy washy on that. :)
25 Night Elf Druid
03/28/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Wichasha
Never ever. Never ever ever. Never.

Ever.

Sorry. You seemed a bit wishy washy on that. :)

<3
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]