Anyone else not like multidotting?

90 Human Mage
Been trying heroic horridon 10 man. Since the nether tempest buff, my aoe is like...60-80% nether tempest refreshing. It's such a sudden....drastic, decrease in quality of life. I miss just fire blasting and that doing the dot spreading for me.
Reply Quote
91 Pandaren Warrior
really mages should never dot any thing nor the dev's make mages in to a dot class where not warlocks if they go down this road they should boost the health of mage's because where made of glass and don't have the time for dot's to tick if you want dots play a warlock
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm still not thrilled that they made us a DoT class (beyond the passive ones from Fire) but now that we are one, multi-dotting is fine with me.

Try Frost Bomb on Horridon. I got similar output with it (on normal at least) and it frees up a ton of GCDs to focus down priority targets.
Reply Quote
I highly doubt they did it on purpose. It's just been a side effect of boosting our bomb's damage. 5.3 is on it's way and I'm sure we can all agree that we will see some changes for us.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I run Frost Bomb on Horridon but truthfully since my raid group hasn't killed it yet I don't know if it's worth it. I'm just so used to it and some of the small adds (like the ones through the first gate) can be frozen so you can utilize Shatter there for the bomb to crit more often and quickly kill them off.

I haven't made it to the fourth gate on normal yet so I don't know if the guys casting fireball can be frozen as well, but if they can (second and third gate adds can't) it's all the more reason for me to keep Frost Bomb.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
No, I feel like a warlock. If I wanted a Dot class I would have rolled one. I liked the nuke style of hard casting, and now my nuke is a cheap chinese firecracker.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I highly doubt they did it on purpose. It's just been a side effect of boosting our bomb's damage. 5.3 is on it's way and I'm sure we can all agree that we will see some changes for us.
Yeah, they did do it on purpose.

In the sense that they made some horrible mistakes with the mage class and encounter design, and making mages into a DoT class is the only way to fix it for now.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I run Frost Bomb on Horridon but truthfully since my raid group hasn't killed it yet I don't know if it's worth it. I'm just so used to it and some of the small adds (like the ones through the first gate) can be frozen so you can utilize Shatter there for the bomb to crit more often and quickly kill them off.

I haven't made it to the fourth gate on normal yet so I don't know if the guys casting fireball can be frozen as well, but if they can (second and third gate adds can't) it's all the more reason for me to keep Frost Bomb.

Keep Frostbomb if you don't like dotting. You'll do fine. I know I do. Frostbomb/Petfreeze combo along with your FrostOrb should chew thru the adds. Just have patience and wait for some adds to accumulate before taking advantage of them.

<- is not interested in dotting for hopeful BF procs
Edited by Frygyd on 3/28/2013 2:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
03/28/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Breaktheice
I don't know if the guys casting fireball can be frozen as well, but if they can

They cannot.

I suppose frost bomb can work on that fight, but I wouldn't use it over NT. I just use my frozen orb when I notice that there's a large group of adds congregating in one area. NT's flexibility and mobility is what makes it so attractive to me. It is great on grouped targets, it is great on scattered targets, and it is great for maintaining damage while moving. Frost bomb excels slightly over NT in one of the above three scenarios, but is utterly inferior in the other two.

<- is not interested in dotting for hopeful BF procs

Only one NT is proc'ing BFs at a time, so it's not like putting NT on multiple targets is increasing your BF proc frequency. That said, would you rather use an ability with a cast time that will grant you one BF proc every ~10 seconds, or would you rather use an instant cast ability that can potentially grant multiple BFs (or none at all).

On the math side of things it averages out to be a fairly equal tradeoff, but anything with a cast time in that instance is a liability. I'm the type of person that tries to min/max their casting uptime to the extreme. The only windows of opportunity I have for movement are when I have procs to unload, or when NT needs to be refreshed. Barring any fight mechanics that need to be moved out of, it is a cardinal sin to me to be moving and not casting something at the same time.

So say you accidentally get hit by a whirl turtle on tortos, while you're in the air you can refresh/spread NT and not waste as much time not casting as you would have if you were using frost bomb. Or say you get targeted by the lightning orb on jin'rokh. You can store up to 4 GCDs worth of movement with your BF proc, FoF procs, and NT (more if NT procs multiple BFs back to back). I tend to lose very little DPS if any at all when I am targeted by those orbs when I have so many spells saved up. Combined with blazing speed, it's an incredibly valuable mobile DPS tool for mages
Edited by Kaikou on 3/28/2013 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage

[quote]<- is not interested in dotting for hopeful BF procs

Only one NT is proc'ing BFs at a time, so it's not like putting NT on multiple targets is increasing your BF proc frequency. That said, would you rather use an ability with a cast time that will grant you one BF proc every ~10 seconds, or would you rather use an instant cast ability that can potentially grant multiple BFs (or none at all).

Wasn't confused about multi-dotting. Simply do not want to hope for a BF proc when I am lining up my initial burst. The longer I wait on it the longer it takes for my next burst phase to come around. I am all about now now now. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm biased. As a person who used to main a Shadow priest for years, I love it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
03/28/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Kaikou
That said, would you rather use an ability with a cast time that will grant you one BF proc every ~10 seconds, or would you rather use an instant cast ability that can potentially grant multiple BFs (or none at all).

Honestly, I prefer the bomb over NT because you know when you will get the BF proc as opposed to waiting for it to drop by. I don't see how you can do a controlled burst with NT, because you have no control over when you will get the BF proc.

They both scale well with Haste and their damage on single target is about the same. If you have 2-4 targets, anything a NT can bounce to, a Frost Bomb can detonate and hit as well since NT bounce range is 10 yards and Bomb's AoE is also all enemies in a 10 yard radius.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The Fire Blast/Living Bomb nerf has been atrocious. The ham fisted logic Ghostcrawler applied to the nerf was so stark in ineptitude that it is obvious that things like communication does not work with Blizzard. So reckless and careless is the nerf is that it established the very thing GC claimed was the problem.

Well now its only Nether Tempest. As a form of protest all mages should just spec Nether Tempest for all occasions. Probably the best bet for someone at Blizzard with a clue to notice this idiotic nerf/buff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Try a mouse over macro.
Works wonders with nether tempest and refreshing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
03/29/2013 02:21 AMPosted by Huxtable
As a form of protest all mages should just spec Nether Tempest for all occasions.

This wont make them buff Living Bomb, they will instead nerf the other two bombs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
No, I feel like a warlock. If I wanted a Dot class I would have rolled one. I liked the nuke style of hard casting, and now my nuke is a cheap chinese firecracker.

Sad thing is, that Mages, SPriests, and DKs now do more DoT damage than even Affliction Locks do, even if the Lock player is damn good at keeping 3 DoTs rolling on 4-5 targets. That 25% Corruption nerf really hit them hard, especially for SB: SoC.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I hate it. But since this is the only small buff Blizzard has given us after nerfing us to the ground, I don't have a choice but to use it.

I feel like a Lock... Which I chose not to roll since I did not like the playstyle.
Reply Quote
I hate it. But since this is the only small buff Blizzard has given us after nerfing us to the ground, I don't have a choice but to use it.

I feel like a Lock... Which I chose not to roll since I did not like the playstyle.

Try destro. You might be very pleasantly surprised. It plays more like a mage than mages do nowadays. No dots. (Immolation doesn't count.) Hard hitting chaos bolts. Playable at any item level. Real aoe.

And you can move and cast.
Edited by Sybhyl on 3/29/2013 5:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
i hate it with the heat of 1000 suns. If not using NT to dot on certain fights prevents progression, I will do it, but I think there are other options based on raid composition that will allow me to continue using FB.

What bothers me about it is it's a completely different play style FORCED upon us. It's bad enough that 1 spec is unplayable until uber-high gear levels, another diminishes as your gear levels increase and a third is simply horrific - now the one good one going for folks around 500 ilvl is mandated into a dotting play style.

I tend to let my experience dictate if that's true or not. I have heard "must use this bomb" on certain fights before and although there is potentially an advantage to doing so, I find that it's rarely a hard and fast rule.

Anyway, i likely won't ever get to Heroic modes, so I guess I can keep "limping along" with FB.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]