Healing in pvp/pve

90 Draenei Shaman
Is it fine to not be casting your healing spells when noone in the raid or BG group is taking damage?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Of course. You'd just be burning mana to accomplish nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
One caveat, if you are a paladin, you might cast heals on someone at full health in order to build up a sheild to help with anticipated damage. It's a pretty specific set of circumstances though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
And as a druid, you generally want to make sure Harmony is up as much as humanly possible, and definitely before the stuff hits the fan, so you may be casting a "wasted" heal every now and then.
Reply Quote
63 Dwarf Priest
Similarly, if there's no damage coming up, but you know massive damage may come soon, building up 4/5 chi with your healing spells as a Mistweaver is worthwhile.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Is it fine to not be casting your healing spells when noone in the raid or BG group is taking damage?

No, you must always be casting your healing spells even if there's no reason to be casting them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I see, so keeping spells like riptide and healing stream totem is fine, but during low damage phases I don't need to be spamming HW or GHW on as many people as I possibly can?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What would that accomplish?
Reply Quote
I see, so keeping spells like riptide and healing stream totem is fine, but during low damage phases I don't need to be spamming HW or GHW on as many people as I possibly can?

I always keep Earth Shield and Riptide on the tank, and Healing Stream Totem down on cooldown, even if damage is super light, but you only need to be using HW or GHW if the damage on a player warrants it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
When nobody is taking damage, well, nobody is taking damage. Extremely low periods of damage work out the same way. However, most healing classes get some usage out of casting certain spells, so there's a reason to maintain effects. A Holy Paladin, for example, should be casting Holy Shock on cooldown (on the tank, so that 1/3rd of your heal still goes through in the form of Mastery) in order to bank Holy Power unless they're capped or close to it, unless they need to save that cooldown for a sudden burst. There might be no damage now, but you can bet your braids that there will be some soon, and HP = instant response. We also get to hit things.

Don't be spending mana for the sake of casting SOMETHING, but look to see if there are any cheap maintenance effects you can recast (Depending upon your class: Sacred Shield, Earth Shield, Druid baby HoTs, Purification, Using riptide so you have two stacks of Tidal Waves prepared) or very efficient heals (Lesser Healing Wave) if you can avoid overheal.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
In pvp i always keep my shield up and a renew going, shield plus renew all the time everytime; I do this for the kitty and rogue sneaking up behind me; as a nightelf i use shadowmeld alot and that is the only time my number one rule is broken. These arent mana intensive so I have plenty of mana when the rogue or kitty does attack and any other spells would be a more serious mana drain; in pvp I have the luxury of being able to kill as well as heal but not all healers have that capability in the way disc does; so saving their mana is more important for them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]