Just *How* Bad Is Elemental Shaman?

87 Draenei Shaman
Title. I've heard that they are still the worst caster in the game, if not the worst dps spec overall. Is this still true?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It may be. But don't let that discourage you to level your Shaman. They are hella fun to play.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Worst caster DPS? Probably. Worst overall DPS? Not even close.
Edited by Xetene on 3/28/2013 10:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
PVE or PVP?

PVE I'd say they are in the top 3 casters right now. Fantastic for most TOT fights.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
PVE I'd say they are in the top 3 casters right now. Fantastic for most TOT fights.

WUT?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
03/28/2013 11:26 PMPosted by Odomus

WUT?

Our Ele is doing fine with his OP Chain Lightning. Cleave and Single-target...meh. But Chain Lightning is good....absolutely fantastic... for many of the encounters this tier.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
We kick butt on trash mob clusters. RAWR!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
03/28/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Cyous

WUT?

Our Ele is doing fine with his OP Chain Lightning. Cleave and Single-target...meh. But Chain Lightning is good....absolutely fantastic... for many of the encounters this tier.

Doing fine on more than four mobs with "meh" DPS on cleave and single-target fights doesn't equal us being a "top 3 caster." We're in the middle of the pack on fights with lots of adds like Horridon, but are near the bottom otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Doing fine on more than four mobs with "meh" DPS on cleave and single-target fights doesn't equal us being a "top 3 caster." We're in the middle of the pack on fights with lots of adds like Horridon, but are near the bottom otherwise.

Wait til you get this tier's set bonuses.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Wait til you get this tier's set bonuses.

Perhaps. I'm excited to see how the Tier 15 bonuses work out. I'm still skeptical that we will be a top 3 caster overall in ToT. I think our niche will be add-heavy fights, and on those I can see top 3.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

Yup.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
If you enjoy the playstyle, that is all that matters. Unless you want to reroll constantly based on the ebb and flow of balance.

It is true that elemental rarely sees the top of the food chain, which is a shame, but I feel the devs are aware of this. Moving forward, I assume good changes are coming down the pipe if things haven't balanced out already.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
This is annoying...Elemental is very fun and does great dps if you know how to play it.

I am NEVER below 2nd place in my 10 man raid...one of our Mages can beat me.

In LFR last night I was 1st on dps. on 4 of the new bosses.

So spare the QQ and learn to have fun.
Reply Quote
Ele Right now is behind all Warlock Specs and Spriest, about equal with Frost Mage, a little ahead of lower geared Fire Mage (above 515 I level Fire Mage is ahead of Ele, but most of us aren't in 515 gear anytime soon), way ahead of Arcane Mage, similar to Balance Druids. . . so for casters its pretty middle.

That said, tis T15 4-Piece is a huge crutch in design this tier shortening the cooldown on Ascendance which is an absolutely nutty powerful cooldown which is incredibly fun to play. Also, Resto Shaman just got a buff so its def. worth leveling a Shaman, and transitioning between Ele/Resto is one of the easier switches to make in the course of a raid (compared to say Holy/Ret off spec for instance).

Also, since Shaman is the only Int Mail wearer, they do tend to get funnelled a few pieces depending on drops, but I've seen Shaman gear wasted much more often than say, Cloth gear that Mages and Locks are fighting for (and Spriests steal).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

We're in the middle of the pack on fights with lots of adds like Horridon, but are near the bottom otherwise.

Best joke I've heard all day. Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Elemental is dead last in 10N and 25N. Not "close to the bottom", like WW or Ret. Dead last.

There are insufficient samples to look at heroic modes at this time. It's plausible that elemental could do better there, certainly. But rising from dead last to (at least) middle of the pack seems unlikely.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/10N/all/7/30/default/
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25N/all/7/30/default/

I'm sure that the elemental shaman in your raid is always near the top of the meters. That doesn't mean that the spec is OK overall. That's a sample size of 1.
Edited by Slant on 3/29/2013 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

We're in the middle of the pack on fights with lots of adds like Horridon, but are near the bottom otherwise.

Best joke I've heard all day. Thank you.

Got any numbers that say otherwise?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I've played my shaman as Elemental since the TM/XR pvp days (enh was a joke for army vs army pvp!) - we're fine. If you're a bleeding edge progression elemental, maybe not. For the rest of the playerbase, we're fine, from a PvE DPS/playability perspective.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's great that don't care about your spec being ranked dead last. You pay your $15/month just like everybody else. As long as you're having fun, that's awesome. Just don't say that everybody else should be fine with it too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]