Do Priests Even Need Weapons?

85 Pandaren Priest
I did a search to see if I could find the answer but no one has asked it.

I'm new to WOW and I am a priest. However, I never use my staff. Everything I do is a combination of spells.

Does a priest ever need a weapon? Are there certain weapons with special properties that help a priest if equipped?

Thanks for any replies!
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
Priests (and spellcasters in general) use weapons more as boosters, focuses or 'stat sticks' as opposed to a general melee weapon. Items with the 'Intellect' stat will boost the damage of your offensive spells and make your healing spells more potent.

In short; yes, you need a weapon. But you won't be killing many monsters with the weapon per se.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
What Iap said holds true for all casters. At later levels, weapons will be the single largest stat upgrade you can get, but we will very rarely, if ever, directly kill things with a melee weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
They can be useful for thwacking totems.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
And nothing funnier when locked out of spells to bonk a melee with your stick and get the killing blow. You tend to die right after cuz you can't do nothing while laughing so hard.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
What Iap said holds true for all casters. At later levels, weapons will be the single largest stat upgrade you can get, but we will very rarely, if ever, directly kill things with a melee weapon.

Pfah. I kill Viscidus all the time with my dagger. You need melee weapons for Ogri'la faction since your spells all alpha-strike the nether rays. The list of uses is endless! And if they weren't terrified of what Priests could potentially do with melee weapons, why would they purposefully under-stat the raw dps on the weapons (compared to Agi/Str-based weapons of the same type)? And don't get me started about wands - what real Priests use to very rarely, if ever, directly kill things!
Edited by Medeyn on 3/28/2013 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
03/28/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Medeyn

Pfah. I kill Viscidus all the time with my dagger. You need melee weapons for Ogri'la faction since your spells all alpha-strike the nether rays. The list of uses is endless! And if they weren't terrified of what Priests could potentially do with melee weapons, why would they purposefully under-stat the raw dps on the weapons (compared to Agi/Str-based weapons of the same type)? And don't get me started about wands - what real Priests use to very rarely, if ever, directly kill things!

There was a time, in Vanilla, when as an Elemental Shaman I used Windfury because it helped whenever a melee was on my face. Helped a whole lot, actually.

Back when that spec was fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/28/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Medeyn

General Vezax during achievement runs.

Oh man.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]